“Nice, But Too Crowded For The Time Period”
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

Wyndham Kingsgate
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 29, 2008

We stayed here March 23-28th, Sunday to Thursday night. There is a resort fee per day per unit of 5.00 that was not mentioned until we got there. Since this did include the arcade, which is very large, I didn't mind it much. The 2 games room were always crowded and noisy, but had great games when you could get to them. They had a 15 minute time limit per game posted, but this was never enforced. The room was popular with the teenage crowd who had been deserted by their parents. They were loud, as were the games and music in them rooms.
The outdoor pool was not open and the Jacuzzi was always crowded especially at night. The indoor pool was crowded at most all times of the day and night.
Miniature golf was a nice asset and not ever too crowded to play a game.
The computer room was always crowded and you had to book a 30 minute slot online. This was very irritating considering most of those on the computers were teenagers checking their My Space pages.
The restaurant looked inviting, but small. it did have a nice outdoor patio adjacent to the pool. I didn't not eat there so I don't know if the food was good or not.
I had to wait about 10 minutes to check in and the timeshare reps grabbed me on the way out. I asked that my room not be called as I was not interested, but they did call on one occasion and the rep seemed rude after I told her I was not interested in my "free gift."
The rooms were beautiful and clean. We stayed in a renovated 2 bedroom. The master was very spacious, but had a very tiny shower area. The living room was large with a nice flat screen TV, but the furniture was horribly uncomfortable and as hard as a rock. The kitchen and dining area were nicely equipped, but could have used more dishes. I also missed a pizza pan and pizza cutter. Who doesn’t eat frozen pizza on vacation at some time!? There was a nice balcony with 2 chairs. Grills were scattered at various points outside the condos with picnic tables nearby. Beds were comfortable, but there was only one blanket available in the room and there were three beds. Bathrooms were supplied with adequate toilet paper, tissue, soap, lotion, shampoo and conditioner. Kitchen was supplied with a sponge, small bottle of dish detergent, 3 dish washer tablets and as a nice touch, some packets of hot chocolate and coffee.
Laundry area was in the master bedroom and included 3 boxes of detergent. There were three TVs in the unit which was nice.
Overall this was a lovely but crowded place to stay. I can’t imagine what summer would be like. There are way too many condos for the small pool and amenity building if they were filled to capacity.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank southfoke
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Kingsgate

Reviewed March 28, 2008

What a dump...a loud, dated, almost dangerously unmaintained dump.

Both units were one-bedroom with a sleeper sofa in the living area and an adjacent kitchen area with 2 burner stove, microwave, dishwasher and fridge.

Both units featured construction that allowed you to hear everything (and I mean everything!!) from both the units below, above and on either side. It was a side-show in and among itself!

Both units were also extremely dated from the 1980s. Old furniture, old wallpaper and paint, old shower enclosure, old washer/dryer, old bed and old linens. The Velux blankeds were ragged and had large holes in them.

In the upper unit we rented, the toilet didn't flush without some coaxing, the phone wasn't plugged in and we had to move a sleeper sofa to find the plug. The upper unit also was victim to the heating/cooling desires of the lower unit. When they wanted it hot, it created a Hopi sweat lodge in the upper unit that was unable to control.

What made the dump dangerous, however, was the deferred maintenance. Two of the exterior railings were wobbly when touched. And, un-repaired cracks in the sidewalks were a trip-n-fall accident waiting to happen. I'm not going to even worry about the blackened grout in the bathroom, peeling wallpaper or chipped paint...but others might.

Also, none of the units had screens in the windows--which was OK in the spring, but not great in the summer when the mosquitos are buzzing. When we opened the window because the air-conditioning wasn't working, a large wasp entered. We were forced to keep things closed, despite the sweltering conditions just to make sure that the wasps stayed outside.

The biggest insult, however was the "Guest Survey" that we were supposed to do that sounded as if it were required because we booked two units through RCI Timeshare. It was supposed to have lasted 45 minutes. The "guest survey" was really just a typical timeshare sales pitch--funny, because we already had a timeshare. When they found out that not only were we NOT interested in more timeshare weeks but that this would be the LAST place we'd want to invest in, they brusquely left us without so much as a "Good-by".

On the positive side: the complex was centrally located (right next to a Super K mart in case that floats your boat) and nearby all attractions. The grounds were, for the most part, pretty. and, if you had kids, there were plenty of things that they could do to keep occupied (pool and arcade). But, that's were the positive elements end.

There are plenty of placed in Williamsburg besides this dump. Book those places first and leave this place for us poor folks that have to stay here due to timeshare rules.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank TinaKayAlameda_CA
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Kingsgate is a Real Nice Property. Rooms are clean and spacious. Resort has a good restaraunt and they have 2 play all you want arcade rooms. Pools are big and clean.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank joez
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I took my two children and my friend took her three children (ages 11,11,11,9 & 5) to Busch Gardens and Water Country for a 3 night stay. We stayed at the Wyndham Kingsgate and were very happy with the property.

We were close to both Busch Gardens and Water Country.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit and it was very big. Two full baths, pull our sleep sofa, full kitchen, 3 T.Vs and a jacuzzi in the master bath.
Our unit was very "colonial" themed but everything was clean and in good working order.

Because we were staying 3 nights we paid a total of $15 resort fee ($5 per night/NOT per person) and the kids sure got our moneys worth of the fee. They had a blast in the arcade. I went to the arcarde th chaperone them and it was huge with plenty to do.
This was one of the highlights of their trip.

Check in was very quick and easy. I luckily bypassed the time share desk (they were busy with someone else) Our phone did ring a few times while we were in our unit but we never answered it (we were guessing it was a time share rep)

Another plus was to have a kitchen. We had breakfast every morning before we left for the parks. We also had snacks and drinks to take with us. We always ate lunch and dinner at the parks.

Overall, we had a nice,enjoyable stay. I would recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank lisareneeo
Reviewed January 29, 2008

We stayed at this property in October of '06. It had just started getting renovated. Our room had not been renovated yet and it showed. We had a one bedroom unit which was perfect for the two of us. Nothing in the unit was disgusting but everything was starting to show its age we didn't use the pool so I cant say how that was. We did go to the game room which was new and very nice because it was all free to guests. I would be willing to return to this resort once they have the renovations complete because I am sure it will be much nicer.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColoradoSullivans
Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed at Kingsgate both in May of 2006 and May 2007. We loved it! We stayed in a two bedroom which was spacious and comfortable. The master bedroom had a jacuzzi, which I used often! We went with our kids, who loved the indoor pool (it was still a little cold for swimming outside), the tennis courts, the mini golf and the game room. The landscaping is also beautiful with ponds surrounded by azalea bushes which were in bloom during our stays. Our first unit (2006) overlooked one of the ponds, and we enjoyed watching a family of ducks each day.

Our unit had a washer/dryer, CD player with speakers in both bedrooms, TV in each bedroom with a TV and DVD player in the living room. The kitchen and dining are were more than adequate and we ate most of our meals there.

Renovations were being done while we were there, but they did not affect us adversely. The furniture did show some wear, but the renovations should be done by now.

We loved all the nearby attractions - Busch Gardens, Yorktown Victory Center, Yorktown Battlefield, Jamestown Settlement, Virginia Beach...and so much more! In 2007, we saw the queen of England during her visit to Colonial Williamsburg! We are planning our vacation for this year, and my kids have only one requirement: they want to stay at Kingsgate again!

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank dcm888
Reviewed January 4, 2008

We asked for a newly refurbished room and it was very nice. It was plenty big enough for our family of 5. I liked the 2 full baths, the large kitchen, and washer and dryer. We also loved the game room, pools, tennis and mini golf. The resort was close to all attractions. We can't wait to go back, especially now that the Griffon is open at Busch Gardens! The sales reps don't like to take NO for answer, but this is the same anywhere you go. it was still worth the extras they gave for attending (since I already own).

Stayed: April 2007