“What a dump...a loud, dated, unmaintained DUMP”
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

Wyndham Kingsgate
Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 28, 2008

What a dump...a loud, dated, almost dangerously unmaintained dump.

Both units were one-bedroom with a sleeper sofa in the living area and an adjacent kitchen area with 2 burner stove, microwave, dishwasher and fridge.

Both units featured construction that allowed you to hear everything (and I mean everything!!) from both the units below, above and on either side. It was a side-show in and among itself!

Both units were also extremely dated from the 1980s. Old furniture, old wallpaper and paint, old shower enclosure, old washer/dryer, old bed and old linens. The Velux blankeds were ragged and had large holes in them.

In the upper unit we rented, the toilet didn't flush without some coaxing, the phone wasn't plugged in and we had to move a sleeper sofa to find the plug. The upper unit also was victim to the heating/cooling desires of the lower unit. When they wanted it hot, it created a Hopi sweat lodge in the upper unit that was unable to control.

What made the dump dangerous, however, was the deferred maintenance. Two of the exterior railings were wobbly when touched. And, un-repaired cracks in the sidewalks were a trip-n-fall accident waiting to happen. I'm not going to even worry about the blackened grout in the bathroom, peeling wallpaper or chipped paint...but others might.

Also, none of the units had screens in the windows--which was OK in the spring, but not great in the summer when the mosquitos are buzzing. When we opened the window because the air-conditioning wasn't working, a large wasp entered. We were forced to keep things closed, despite the sweltering conditions just to make sure that the wasps stayed outside.

The biggest insult, however was the "Guest Survey" that we were supposed to do that sounded as if it were required because we booked two units through RCI Timeshare. It was supposed to have lasted 45 minutes. The "guest survey" was really just a typical timeshare sales pitch--funny, because we already had a timeshare. When they found out that not only were we NOT interested in more timeshare weeks but that this would be the LAST place we'd want to invest in, they brusquely left us without so much as a "Good-by".

On the positive side: the complex was centrally located (right next to a Super K mart in case that floats your boat) and nearby all attractions. The grounds were, for the most part, pretty. and, if you had kids, there were plenty of things that they could do to keep occupied (pool and arcade). But, that's were the positive elements end.

There are plenty of placed in Williamsburg besides this dump. Book those places first and leave this place for us poor folks that have to stay here due to timeshare rules.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank TinaKayAlameda_CA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed March 23, 2008

Kingsgate is a Real Nice Property. Rooms are clean and spacious. Resort has a good restaraunt and they have 2 play all you want arcade rooms. Pools are big and clean.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank joez
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I took my two children and my friend took her three children (ages 11,11,11,9 & 5) to Busch Gardens and Water Country for a 3 night stay. We stayed at the Wyndham Kingsgate and were very happy with the property.

We were close to both Busch Gardens and Water Country.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit and it was very big. Two full baths, pull our sleep sofa, full kitchen, 3 T.Vs and a jacuzzi in the master bath.
Our unit was very "colonial" themed but everything was clean and in good working order.

Because we were staying 3 nights we paid a total of $15 resort fee ($5 per night/NOT per person) and the kids sure got our moneys worth of the fee. They had a blast in the arcade. I went to the arcarde th chaperone them and it was huge with plenty to do.
This was one of the highlights of their trip.

Check in was very quick and easy. I luckily bypassed the time share desk (they were busy with someone else) Our phone did ring a few times while we were in our unit but we never answered it (we were guessing it was a time share rep)

Another plus was to have a kitchen. We had breakfast every morning before we left for the parks. We also had snacks and drinks to take with us. We always ate lunch and dinner at the parks.

Overall, we had a nice,enjoyable stay. I would recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank lisareneeo
Reviewed January 29, 2008

We stayed at this property in October of '06. It had just started getting renovated. Our room had not been renovated yet and it showed. We had a one bedroom unit which was perfect for the two of us. Nothing in the unit was disgusting but everything was starting to show its age we didn't use the pool so I cant say how that was. We did go to the game room which was new and very nice because it was all free to guests. I would be willing to return to this resort once they have the renovations complete because I am sure it will be much nicer.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ColoradoSullivans
Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed at Kingsgate both in May of 2006 and May 2007. We loved it! We stayed in a two bedroom which was spacious and comfortable. The master bedroom had a jacuzzi, which I used often! We went with our kids, who loved the indoor pool (it was still a little cold for swimming outside), the tennis courts, the mini golf and the game room. The landscaping is also beautiful with ponds surrounded by azalea bushes which were in bloom during our stays. Our first unit (2006) overlooked one of the ponds, and we enjoyed watching a family of ducks each day.

Our unit had a washer/dryer, CD player with speakers in both bedrooms, TV in each bedroom with a TV and DVD player in the living room. The kitchen and dining are were more than adequate and we ate most of our meals there.

Renovations were being done while we were there, but they did not affect us adversely. The furniture did show some wear, but the renovations should be done by now.

We loved all the nearby attractions - Busch Gardens, Yorktown Victory Center, Yorktown Battlefield, Jamestown Settlement, Virginia Beach...and so much more! In 2007, we saw the queen of England during her visit to Colonial Williamsburg! We are planning our vacation for this year, and my kids have only one requirement: they want to stay at Kingsgate again!

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank dcm888
Reviewed January 4, 2008

We asked for a newly refurbished room and it was very nice. It was plenty big enough for our family of 5. I liked the 2 full baths, the large kitchen, and washer and dryer. We also loved the game room, pools, tennis and mini golf. The resort was close to all attractions. We can't wait to go back, especially now that the Griffon is open at Busch Gardens! The sales reps don't like to take NO for answer, but this is the same anywhere you go. it was still worth the extras they gave for attending (since I already own).

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank 5brennan
Reviewed November 13, 2007

This was our second four-day, three-night visit to a Wyndham resort in about two months. We enjoyed our first visit to the Wyndham in Atlantic City so much that we decided to give Wyndham another try in another state. We were surely not disappointed at all! I “bought” the first vacation from a seller on eBay for a fraction of the cost Wyndham was charging everyone else. I also “bought” this vacation from the same guy. The seller is obviously an owner of many Wyndham timeshares, so he was able to charge a lot less money, while still being able to make a profit. I saw a couple of other owner/sellers on eBay who were charging more than one hundred dollars more for the same two bedroom deluxe and for the same travel dates. That is why we will be sticking with this eBay guy for our next vacation. Also, we were never under any obligation to attend the typical timeshare presentation since Wyndham classified us as guests of an owner.

Let me start off by saying that if you have children, even teenagers, you will definitely get your money’s worth in the video game room within the first half hour you are there. This Wyndham resort charges guests a mandatory $5.00 per day, per unit, for what they classify as amenities. Please bear in mind this is not a $5.00 per person charge. There were four of us, myself, my wife, my 8 year old son and my 10 year old daughter. Within 15 minutes we all had received our $5.00 worth of playing video games. Here in New York, video games cost 50 cents per game and the game usually lasts a couple of minutes. In fact, some of the newer video games are finished by the one minute mark. I think all Wyndhams should adopt this practice. My kids spent, at least, ten dollars in the video game room at the Atlantic City Wyndham, in a mere matter of one hour. I heard a few older people complaining about having to pay this fee since they were not traveling with children, but this fee also covers all of the other amenities, including miniature golf, movie night with free cans of soda and popcorn, billiards, high speed internet usage, etc. For a typical sized family, this fee seems like the biggest bargain out there today. Please note that there are also the newest and latest video games too, including Nintendo Wii.

We all also enjoyed the indoor pool. Because we stayed there in November, the outdoor pools were closed. I have read how other people found the pool to be too small for the number of people using it. I guess we were lucky for going in November because there were many times during our four day stay where we were the only family using the pool.

We also had so much fun playing miniature golf. The course was never crowded so we were able to take our time without feeling obligated to rush the little ones. The course is not challenge-constructed like the ones at Pirates Cove so it makes it a lot easier for the little ones to get twos and threes, instead of fives. The landscaping was absolutely marvelous and accentuated the grounds and its surroundings.

The location of this Wyndham is fantastic and convenient to many different restaurants and shopping establishments. We were able to eat at a different place every day, twice a day. Even the check-in process was rather painless and expedient. I read other reviews about the incessant telephone calls to the rooms concerning timeshare presentations, but when we checked in the welcome desk asked us if we were interested in attending one. They immediately told us about the free breakfast and $60 we would receive if we attended and, being from New York where you rarely find such a bargain, we gladly agreed to attend. Even though they promise the presentation takes only one hour, it doesn’t. It actually lasted almost two hours. Although, at the end, we were gladly handed the money with a smile.

When our children wanted to do the Build-a-Bear activity, we paid the $12 per bear fee and they had about an hour of so much fun. But we did have to drive to Wyndham’s main center to do this and to play billiards, which was just five minutes away.

I also read how some people complained about the dated and worn out furniture. This is, indeed, true. We could feel the springs about to pop out of our king sized mattress and the living room furniture was hard and uncomfortable. I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of a big screen television in the unit, I believe that the three televisions were no larger than 25 or 27 inches, but we did not spend too much time inside the units anyhow. There was also a vcr and dvd player right underneath the entertainment center in the living room. We knew this beforehand so the kids brought along a couple of dvds to watch. The washer and dryer combination inside the unit was pivotal because we were able to bring less clothes on our trip. I also read about people complaining about the parking situation, but if you did not find a spot right outside your unit, then you could, literally, park a few feet away, in the next unit’s parking area.

One thing I did find fairly accurate was the footsteps from the unit above us. They assigned us to the second floor so we constantly heard the people walking on the third floor. As I am sure the unit below us, on the first floor, heard all of us walking around. This was only annoying in the morning when we were still laying in bed and the people above us were early risers. It was a little cumbersome, though, to carry the heavy luggage up the steps to the second floor. I feel sorry for the people who stayed on the third floor. My suggestion is to call ahead and reserve a first floor unit for the convenience and to reserve a unit near to the activities center.

Overall, we had such a meaningful and memorable time. Every one of the staff members were pleasant and helpful. Our kids, who tend to get bored within minutes of anything, were never bored and even begged me to stay longer. Even though Busch Gardens was closed for winter, we had so many other activities to enjoy. We would love to go back to this Wyndham sometime in 2008. After all, I know I can get a great deal on eBay.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family