“Hidden fees, no elevators”
Review of Wyndham Kingsgate

Wyndham Kingsgate
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Hidden fees, no elevators”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Nice clean property......very big and all Condo-type units look the same. Room was NOT ready upon check in.......and had no where / nothing to do in meantime. No elevators either. Adult pool had kids in it. centrally located to DT Williamsburg. Priucy and hidden fees, (we were using timeshare points and were charged $30 per night cleaning and atcitivy fee!!!!) FURIOUS! We left a day early.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank NikkiHP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Irvington, New Jersey
Reviewed December 27, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Kingsgate over the Christmas holiday and had an awesome time! Everyone enjoyed the activities at the hotel which included a game room with all kinds of video games, pool table and air hockey, outdoor miniature golf and tennis courts. The weather was great so both the indoor and outdoor pools were able to be utilized and the hot tub. We had a first floor 1 bedroom and a 2nd floor 2 bedroom in nearby buildings and never had a problem with noise. Although it is a timeshare property, we had fully expected no housekeeping and the hotel staff was very helpful. The beds were great as well and the surround sound system was a nice surprise. The hotel is very close to shopping and tourist attractions. Williamsburg is a lovely area!

Room Tip: They do have connecting rooms but I didn't request it when I made my reservation and there was n...
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We just stayed at the Wyndham Kingsgate this last weekend, for some Christmas shopping at the outlets and a visit to Christmastown at Busch Gardens. This is actually my third visit here but my first review. After another lovely stay I felt I had to write on how happy we have always been staying here. This year the whole family took over one side of building 39 and as usual our rooms were spacious and clean. I love the convenience to everything as well. It always seems we never have time to partake in the activities but this year we did rent some DVD’s from the club house. I appreciate how well the grounds are kept and I really just love the colonial décor. I would suggest that this is just a great place for families to stay and save some money since the kitchens have everything you need! Love Mama Steve’s Pancake house and Food for Thought restaurant is absolutley great!

1 Thank LaLaPhD
Maryland
Reviewed December 16, 2011

The Kingsgate is an above average resort. The Grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The staff were very friendly and performs their job efficiently. My room was clean and well equipped. There were no problems with noise that would prevent a good nights sleep. We stayed in an end unit on the 3th. floor. There are no elevators in any of the buildings. This could be a problem for older people or people with health conditions trying to carry luggage up 3 fights of steps. The most irritating things about Wyndham Kingsgate are the old televisions, today you would think every decent resort would have flat screen HD televisions. The Kingsgate has a mandatory $5.00 a day game room fee that will be charged even if you don't use the game room. Some people I spoke to found this objectionable and for this reason alone would not return to the Kingsgate. They have a written policy if you do no check out of your room after 10 am it will cost you $100 and there is a additional charge each hour after 10 am. Both of my door key cards stopped working at 9:10 am, the check out clerk claim they did not disable the door key cards. There are many better resorts that do not have the mickey mouse rules that you will experience at the Kingsgate resort. I will try other resorts at Williamsburg when I return in the future.

Room Tip: Try to get a end unit away from ac units
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank intrepid9742
Cumberland, Virginia
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My hubby and I spend two nights here while shopping at the outlets. We were very comfortable, and everyone was very nice and hospitable. It was close to everything we wanted to see and do. We did get a very brief pitch about sitting in on a timeshare presentation, but after we politely said no we weren't bothered any more. The only suggestion I might have is perhaps putting a king sized bed in the one bedroom units, but that is a minor thing. It was very peaceful. We never heard anyone else during our stay. Overall we had a very nice time!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kwt1966
Forestville, Maryland
Reviewed December 11, 2011

My family stayed here and had a very nice weekend. The place is very nice the beds are wonderful. It was something about the shower heads that could of been a little better and housekeeping trained a little better about entering rooms. We tried the fitness center it was great! Over all we loved it thought very comfortable and we would come back.

Room Tip: very comfortable and relaxing
1 Thank bakmar66
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Didn’t get the details from Expedia till I checked in. This property should not be listed as a Hotel Room - but a Time Share rental - upon arrival (for a four day stay) we had to listen to a sales pitch for a time share presentation the next morning. There is "no" continental breakfast included at this facility like other Hotels. There is "no" housekeeping, so, we got one small bottle of shampoo, 1 conditioner & 1 coffee (no tea) on arrival. Had to go shopping for shampoo, conditioner, tea & coffee. The room was very clean and nice on a second floor walk up. We carried our heavy luggage up the stairs. Upon arrival we had to pay $15 for activities (indoor pool, exercise room, computer room, etc) that we never intended to use and told them so. Departure is 10 a.m. or we would be charged an extra high fee. We had to take down our trash and place it outside!! There was a washer/dryer and kitchen in the room - this was nice. I would not stay there again - too much like home chores. I wanted to be in a Hotel setting for my vacation. Expedia, you need to check this property out.
This is what the rules brochure states that they gave us on arrival:
"Departure Procedures"
Check-out is at 10 a.m. Guests checking out after 10:30 a.m. will be charged an additional fee of $35 for the first hour and $100 per hour thereafter. Please remove trash from unit, and place near the receptacles in front of your building, load and start dishwasher.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor - no elevators if you can't carry luggage upstairs
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple