“Worst night in any hotel I ever had”

Red Roof Inn Williamsburg
Ranked #49 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed July 14, 2007

I realize that Virginia is a tobacco friendly state, but I never thought I would be punished for requesting a non smoking room – I was sadly mistaken.

When we entered our room, I found a used ash tray on the nightstand. Went back to the office and the clerk assured me that no one had ever smoked in that room – even if it did not have the NO SMOKING sing on the door. He offered to switch us to another nonsmoking room, but he again assured me that no one had ever smoked in the room – the ash tray was for people to stand outside their room and smoke. As we were running late for a dinner party and the desk clerk had assured me that it was a non smoking room, I declined.

Worst night in any hotel I ever had Requested a non smoking room put into a smokers room Bedding had burn holes microwave had a burn mark on top Room was very dirty

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank gemini52

Reviewed July 2, 2007

This was the worst hotel ever stayed at. The room had over 6 holes in the walls, the air conditioning did not work, there were fleas. The room smelled so bad of flea powder you could not even stay in the room. There was dirt and grease marks all over everything. There is nothing worst than bringing your family for vacation and you sweat, get bit by fleas and cant breath. My whole family slept with there regular clothes on(fleas). The worst part was I complained to the front desk and they LIED to me about everything. This did not stop there. I ask for a refund when we left and they told me they would mail it since I paid with a check. After ten calls and a month and a half later I finally received it.The hotel owner said it was mailed twice on a certain date and finally showed and looked at the postmark it was 10 days after he said. He is a LIER TOO. Do not trust this hotel or there mangement. I was a red roof preferred customer NOT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!The regional manager of red roof told me since it was a franchise hotel he could not do anything. Dont make the mistake. I have pictures to prove it on my phone. When I left there were other people complaining also. Enter at your own risk!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank funfamilyPittsburgh
Reviewed May 13, 2007

dirty dirty dirty everything broken in room...room trashed... overcharged...moved to new room with cockroaches
so disgusted i cannot continue....
think i developed rash here
calling health department

Stayed: May 2007
5  Thank rmoniemony
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I stayed here one night on April 13, 2007 and must say it was an okay stay. This certainly is not the Marriott, but it will do for families on budgets or in my case a tourist who actually did book a 3 night stay at another hotel, but decided to leave on my trip a day earlier without being able to book the extra night at my hotel of choice (Residence Inn-Marriott). The rate was decent at $49/night on the Red Roof website so I cannot complain about that. The room was clean, but the floors squeaked when I walked from the bed to the bathroom sink area. I am sure the people below me just loved that. The only thing that seemed a little strange to me came from the front desk clerk. I arrived at about 1:25 PM and asked to check -in. Well, he asked me to come back closer to 2PM because the rooms were not ready. This was no big deal to me as I just waited in my car while reading the local newspaper, but the rooms were ready all along. Anyway, I checked at a 2PM and for the most part enjoyed the one quiet night even though the beds could have been a lot softer. So, if you are looking for a cheap place to stay that is fairly close to the Historic area the Red Roof is for you . . . especially if you plan on spending the majority of your time out of the motel room touring the town.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank ILUVDC
Reviewed August 14, 2005

We stayed in the Red Roof Inn for 1 night on a trip to Busch Gardens. This is an older looking hotel. Upon check-in the clerk at the front desk seemed very indifferent. At check-out there was a lady working who was very nice. The room did have a small refrigerator and microwave. The beds are probably the hardest beds I've ever slept on. The pool is an average size pool for this type of hotel and was in need of some repairs such as fixing the gate that was hanging by one hinge and the hand rails on the pool steps were completely loose on one end. The pool area was clean though and the pool was kept open later than most hotels. This hotel is fine for a night or two, but if I were to stay any longer than that, I would find a nicer hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank Stacker12
Reviewed March 19, 2005

We stayed at this Red Roof while going to Busch Gardens. The location is good, and the price wasn't bad for that time of year. Rooms were ok, but a bit dingy. Even though it was July, the pool was not open, and is very small. They do have people situated in the lobby to help guests with travel info and maps.

6  Thank P.O.A.
Reviewed August 20, 2004

i hate to say anything bad, but.....except for the clerk at check in, the place sucked. the clerk was very friendly and offered helpful suggestions about the area. after that it sank fast. the room was stuffy and smelled of smoke (in a non-smoking room). and the beds were awful. they were hard and had plastic, i believe, wrapped around them (like the kind used for children who wet the bed). when anyone rolled over it created such a racket! it disrupted the night's sleep for all four of us. the next morning i asked if they had any Friday USA Today's left over (complimentary paper M-F). the morning clerk said no, they just had saturday's which were not complimentary) I let her know, nicely, i swear, that there is no saturday usa today. she went over to the pile, read that it in fact was friday's paper, and literally dropped it on the counter in front of me without saying a word. I swore off red roof inns at that moment.

13  Thank disneyman