“Family Friendly (but Loud!) Hotel”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg Historic Area
Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Family Friendly (but Loud!) Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed two nights over a weekend. The hotel was clean, well decorated, friendly. The rooms were very clean, bathrooms were clean and large. Rooms were cleaned very early in the morning.

Breakfast (included) was the only downturn. The dining room was small, over crowded and the food was often short in supply. The options were not great either. The first day it was fried chicken tenders on biscuits with milk gravy. Ugh. The fruit options were canned fruit cocktail (which I have not seen since the 1970's) and oranges. There was not enough seating for the crowd.

This is a hotel where families are either going to Colonial Williamsburg or Busch Gardens and everyone needs an early start. The hotel should consider that.

The location is great and easy to get to.

The rooms, hallways and such are very loud late into the night. We heard kids running in the halls outside our room and overhead.

Beds were not top quality and not that comfortable.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
HMPHotels, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Ann,

Thank you for telling us about your visit with us. We really appreciate your feedback. We appreciate you telling us your thoughts about the breakfast service. We are very sorry you were not satisfied with this service. We will gladly pass this on to our staff. We use feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Country Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic Area

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

This hotel was not the best I've ever been to, but considering the rate that we paid, we felt it fit the bill and met our expectations. We appreciate queen rather than double beds, and the complimentary breakfast was nice, although quite busy at times and it seemed like the very kind and attentive staff had a bit of a time keeping up with demand during the very busy times. Nice things that went over our expectations were the free cookies, snacks, and coffee/tea available in the front lobby around the clock, and the reading library with a nice selection of books. The room was clean enough and nicely appointed. We felt our room was quite humid and had a damp/musty smell. I don't think the A/C was working properly. We never complained to the front desk so in fairness they did not have a chance to address the issue or move us from the room, however when I mentioned (at check-out) to the GM she offered me a discount the next time we stay there. The hotel is close to Busch Gardens, about a 10 minute drive. There are many restaurants, shops, gas stations etc nearby. The hotel was quiet enough.

Dear Bev,

Thank you for telling us about your visit with us. We really appreciate your feedback. We really value all guest feedback. Thank you for telling us you concerns about the AC in your room. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We will definitely pass that on to our maintenance staff. We use guest feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Sincerely
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Hotel in close proximity to Revolution City Visitor Center, 3-5 minute drive. Folks at the front desk were friendly. Our room was nice and very clean. We had a window that wouldn't shut (1/2") and the water pressure was weak. We never brought it to the attention of the staff or I'm sure they would have done something about it. Breakfast offered a good variety, but the dining room was very crowded and probably not worth the hassle since Denny's is across the street. Pool is indoor, good size, and heated... but it didn't look like it had been cleaned in a while. I noticed dead bugs and clumps of hair on the floor surrounding the pool. All in all, the hotel was not the best, but it could have been worse. As I said, the hotel rooms were well furnished and in good clean condition... which is most important to me. Beyond that, everything else could have been better.

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

Dear Colin,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns about the hotel. Thank you for telling us your concerns about the breakfast service, pool area, and your room. We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied. We are sorry for any inconvenience you may have been caused. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

My son and I were taking our final trip for the summer to Water County and Busch Gardens. In previous stays, we always stayed closer the parks. I will say that although it was a little further away, the accommodations were much nicer than the same brand hotel closer to the park. The staff upon arrival was very friendly. The room was clean and had a fridge and microwave. There was a slight odor in the room, hallway, and stairwell. It smelled like the carpets needed cleaning or at least deodorizing. The breakfast was limited, and the area for breakfast was miniscule. The cook ran out of food because the hotel had not provided enough for the day. The lines were long and cramped. It was a blessing that all of the guest were in a good mood. The pool was heated but small. It was big enough for my son to play.
My major concern was that my son accidentally dropped coffee into the housekeepers cart (he thought it was a trash can- looked like the kind of cart that school janitors use to take the trash out). I took him back to the room and came back out in the hallway to notify the housekeeping staff. I heard the housekeeping manager yelling and fussing about how horrible the mess was and what kind of person would do that etc. The rant was embarrassing to say the least. I did apologize and had my son apologize. She was better after the apology, but my issue is that her rant was not professional. Even if we were the scum of the earth, as a service professional you keep those thoughts to yourself. Other than that it was a decent stay.

1 Thank Danielle R
Dear Danielle,

Thank you for telling us about your visit. We are so glad that you and your son stayed with us. Thank you for telling us about your experience with the hotel housekeeping staff. We are very sorry for this behavior. We will make sure that this behavior never happens again at our hotel. Thank you for bringing this tor our attention. We value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Fort Washington, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Breakfast Suck Housekeeping knock on door @ 9:00am collect dirty laundry staff not friendly manager Sherry Hensberger not accommmodating if you have a problem DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!! I feel as though I should have been compensated for the many inconvienciences that occurred during my stay! Upon checking in on 08/03/2014, it was discovered the suite I was given was DIRTY! I was moved to another room only to have the ceiling leak in the bathroom in that room. This whole experience has been HORRIFIC!!! Did not get any rest & relexation on vacation because housekeeping was banging on the room door every morning @ 9:00am.....when the banging went unanswered they took their key and came in the room! My family felt VIOLATED!!!! The housekeeping Dept need to be retrained. It's unacceptable to open the guests room door with out being invited in for DIRTY LAUDRY!!! The General Manager (Sherry Hensberger) says she did all she could do to accommodate my stay, but I feel as though MORE could have been done! Please let me know what you can do to HELP this situation. Very DISAPPOINTED with my stay at Country Inns and Suites!

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

5 Thank shanetteb
SHERRY H, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
I do again sincerely apologize for the issues during your stay. We always strive to take care of any issue immediately. I do apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. Per our conversation today I do look forward to seeing you if ever you return to Williamsburg.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

After a long day and drive, we checked in well after 11pm.The first room they put us in had a wonderful fruity smell to cover up the mildew from the a/c that was leaking on the carpet (which was soaking wet). My family and I all woke up with headaches. Asked for a room change. The next room had a trick to the door knob. You had to push down then pull up (even maintenance couldn't get the door open). Nothing worse than having food and or drinks in your hand and you have to put them on the floor to use both hands so now your stuff in on the floor while you struggle with the door.
You cannot be a smoke free hotel and allow your smokers to smoke directly in front of the building. Smoke travels in every time the door opens. Not to mention the eating area is next to the lobby & in the smoking section. If your room is on the front of the building the a/c pulls in the smoke for you to inhale as well. I don't think they understand smoke-free hotel. Needless to say we will not return to this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!
3 Thank Pierrefam
SHERRY H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
I do sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. It is our goal to always meet the expectations of our guest. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet yours.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Visited Colonial Williamsburg, and looked for an excellent value hotel nearby. Country Inn and Suites was close, and the staff was helpful and friendly. Delicious breakfast changed each day and the cookies at the desk were good.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Charles N
HMPHotels, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Charles,

Thank you for telling us about your visit with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed the hotel, and the breakfast service. We will be sure to pass this on to our staff. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.