“Tasty Thai food”

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Families with children
“Tasty Thai food”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Since Bangkok Garden opened in Williamsburg, I have enjoyed their food a number of times. Their menu is extensive and they are willing to make changes to a dish if asked. The servers are young and very polite. My favorite dish is really soup: Shrimp/coconut soup. I can make a meal of it with a side of rice to soak up all the liquid! Another favorite is the Ginger Vegetable. Too much for one person but it makes a nice side reheated the next day. I know there are other Thai restaurants in the area but I like this one as well.

I went with a large group recently and was pleased that service was still attentive and all food came to us correctly with no gliches. They also gave us an unexpected 10% discount because we were a large group. ????? Now that is different!

• Visited August 2012

Toledo, OH
“Basic Thai”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Ate dinner here on a Sunday evening. Service was efficient, attentive and thoughtful. Ordered Som Tom, Red Curry Chicken and Pad Se eew. All were tasty but none outstanding. Dinner for two with leftovers for lunch the next day $40 plus tip.

1 Thank penelopekat
Williamsburg, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible experience...”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I took a girl here on our first date (as all the other restaurants were packed) there’s a reason this place wasn’t busy! I ordered the Chicken with Ginger sauce & she ordered the Noodle soup, the service was prompt & the food came out fast, a little too fast! Firstly my chicken tasted like something you would throw into the microwave, they probably went down to Sam’s Club bought a frozen packet of Chicken pieces & nuked them for about 5 minutes that’s really how bad they tasted. The vegetables were even worse, I’m not fan of fresh vegetables (unless it’s a salad) they were neither cooked nor fresh; again looked like that packet crap you see in the big stores. My date’s soup was not much better, after chewing & gulping down water we put our utensils down just to talk a little, either of us could injure it any longer, being on our first date I didn’t want to cause a scene, so I left it at that. I handed my Visa card over to pay she brought it back & we left the premises only for the waitress to come running out shouting at me in the parking lot "you forgot to sign, you forgot to sign" how embarrassing she had no need to cause a scene, it wasn’t as if we were running away! I had already paid. I had to apologize to my date

Avoid this place, terrible food, bad atmosphere & poor waitressing.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Andrew P
Bakersfield, California
“Good!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Refreshing meal after a day of touring. Good service, food was fresh and well prepared.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Tami D
Alexandria, Virginia
“Surprisingly excellent for birthday parties”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I live in Virginia, and I planned on going to Busch Gardens and then to a Thai restaurant for my 30th birthday. I planned on going to a Thai restaurant the evening of Saturday June 23rd 2012. There were not too many Thai places in Williamsburg, VA, so I figured I would go to the highest ranked Thai place on Trip Advisor as I did not want my party guests to hate the food after a hot day at a Theme Park. After reading the mixed reviews I was unsure about Bangkok Garden as I figured it would be hit or miss, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Not only were they willing to accommodate a party of 12 people (I called days ahead of time), but on the day of I called 1 hour prior to my reservation time and asked to extend it by 1 hr and they were more than willing to adjust my time. They allowed us to decorate for the birthday party and bring our own cake, they gave us free salads and they even participated during the party singing happy birthday and made balloon animals which they had my friends sign. It was really fun and very memorable! We had so much cake left over we gave some to the staff and they asked for seconds! It was like hanging with family. The proprietor called me Princess, it was awesome!

The food was delicious and there was so much good food! I ordered the chicken Pad Red Curry, which turned out to be Pad Thai with Red Curry sauce. I had never had that fusion of two meals before and it was surprisingly great and was one of the Chef's Specials. My guests each ordered something different from the menu and they were all very happy with their meals. Our appetizers included shrimp blanket and vegetable blanket (I don't know what it is called on their menu), cucumber salad, tom yum soup and they were all great. I asked for 1 birthday drink that was the bartender's specialty and I got a Mai Thai which was the best Mai Thai I have ever had even better than mine (and mixology has been my hobby of 9 years).

I would definitely come back here in the future as the food and service were wonderful. :)

Side Note: (I honestly don't know what the other reviews were talking about. It makes me wonder if this place is like "Oriental Star" a Chinese-Japanese-Thai food fusion place that is nearby my home; the Oriental Star is awesome on specific days of the week because there is a different chef that day - I don't order from there on Mondays or Thursdays. The best way to tell is by ordering the Tom Yum soup - if it tastes like gun powder, that is the bad day for Oriental Star.)

• Visited June 2012