“Hope you like black”

Comfort Suites Bypass
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed December 9, 2011

First and most importantly, this hotel is very clean and convenient to Historic Williamsburg. The staff efficient and the price for our visit very reasonable. If however, you are looking for total colonial immersion, this is not the spot. This hotel is totally decorated in black/red/grey/silver with multiple patterns and a Tim Burton effect in details. (Arms coming out of the wall?) I must say I was intrigued by the bold vision Comfort Inns had here--but when I opened my eyes every morning it was a bit jarring to adjust to all that black. And here is just a curious safety bit-when my husband chose to take the stairs he said the patterned carpet in the stairwells made seeing the next step an optical illusion. Perhaps a solid strip on the edge would help. I would not discourage anyone from staying here--you have a good hotel--just pack your colonial goth-wear.

Room Tip: The AMTRAK commuter train runs right behind the hotel. My room was in front and I never really heard...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Bituney

Reviewed December 6, 2011

We stayed here during Grand Illumination weekend and were so surprised that the hotel was not full.
This is a great place to stay!
Staff was welcoming but not intrusive.
Nice decor, resort style bedding and decorating, modern nice twist from the typical colonial.
Great hot tub next to the pool.
Our 4th floor room overlooked the woods was very quiet.
Rooms are off the hook huge- bigger than the studio villa we rented at Disney and far more accommodating.

The only suggestion I would have (and this is me being extremely picky) is for the hotel to have curtains that completely cover the windows and block out all light, for those of us who want to sleep in past dawn and are light sensitive, or for those rooms that overlook the parking lot and don't want everyone looking in because those sheer curtains are pretty much see through.
We ended up hanging the extra blanket from the curtain rod, so it's no where near being a deal breaker for us.
We'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JT_1837
Reviewed November 26, 2011

The Comfort Suites was a unique experience. The contemporary decor is a great change after a day in Colonial Williamsburg. Every surface was covered in interesting fabrics, wallpapers, floor coverings, etc. While the gray, black, white, and red color scheme is not relaxing, it is interesting and playful. Our room was in great condition except for a few minor issues. First, the shower curtain was stained and needed replacing. Also, there were some water spots on the ceiling around the fire sprinkler. Finally, the valance over the curtains was very dusty. Breakfast offered some good choices, including great waffles, cooked apples, and bagles.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NC_Rambler
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is by far my favorite hotel in Williamsburg! There is something great about the modern style of the lobby and rooms. When you walk in you can not tell at all that you are at a comfort suites.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a (01) room like 201 or 101. The jacuzzi is nice.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Richard M
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed here halloween weekend. The stay couldn't have been better. The hotel was clean and very modern. The front desk was wonderful and the breakfast was good. We plan to come back next year! Thanks!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank moseleypa
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Very nice and new, trendy decor, I enjoyed staying there, the beds were great and the rooms were very roomy and comfortable, I would say that if you can get the top floor I was not able to get a room the first night there because it booked with about a 100 kids up there and the noise was bad, they did offer to move me to the top floor but after the kids left it was fine and I was fine in my third floor room.
the breacfast was good I went early and took it back to my room but there always seem to be more than enough.
the staff there is very friendly and helpful and my room was always cleaned mid day while I was out.
one thing that I dont understand about these new bigger rooms why is the TV never near the sofa in the sitting area you cant watch it if your sitting there, seems odd to me.
Over all this is a great place to stay and very clean and if booked online the price was very good about $80 a night.

Room Tip: top floor, back side would be the best
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank kingoftheroadtrip
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Excellent all the way around. Even though on Sunday they did not serve eggs. Instead 2 meats and pototoes. It still was wonderful. After reading so many not so good reviews in the area we hit a home run with this hotel. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: November 2011