“great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Newport News, Virginia
“great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

my wife and i stayed here to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, we found the hotel very clean,rooms very spacious,pool and jacuzzi excellent,we really like that it was a complete non smoking hotel.We would highly recommend this beautiful hotel to all our friends and family. and we are planning already another stay here. Thank You

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dale B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Blacksburg, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed a night after being at Busch Gardens all day on October 14 and I have no complaints. Check-in was quick and painless. Rooms and bathroom were fairly clean with plenty of towels in the bathroom. Breakfast was acceptable but nothing special consisting of scrambled egg 'patties', sausage gravy with biscuits, fruit, pastries, cold cereal, oatmeal and the usual continental breakfast items. Breakfast could have been better with some real sausage/bacon. Bed's were large, firm and seemed to be pretty new. A/C worked fine in the room and I don't recall hearing anybody in the hall. When in the bathroom, you could here adjacent room's flushing toilets and water running but not overwhelming. My wife's biggest complaint was the decor. It is some kind of asian/post modern look with a lot of black & white wallpaper and b&w photographs. If that is the biggest problem, then you are doing pretty well.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators
2 Thank sbortzva
NYS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

WOW and again I say WOW, great job Comfort Suites
Check in/out:
Front desk check in was fast and still managed to make me not feel rushed. I asked for suggestions as we carried the luggage past wording the inquiry “Where would you go for pizza, BBQ etc.?” and great suggestions were made. (Happily they matched the opinions of other residents of the area.) And then she found us coupons for the locations we were going to.
Staff:
Every staff member was very pleasant and responsive. They all were quick to anticipate a question or need and already be working on the solution.
Housekeeping:
From the moment you walk in the door you can tell that you are not in an ordinary Comfort Suites. From the mod décor to the enclosed waterfall you can tell this is quality. Even the stairs are carpeted and pleasant, as if someone knows people are using them for their health and they wish a pleasing environment even there.
Room:
WOW, The room was huge, larger than my first apartment. The closet was almost walk in, it seemed as large as what some places would call a guest room. (Ok, I exaggerate, but just on the closet.) The largest rooms are in the middle of the hotel and we had one of these. We began experimenting and found that we could set up two cots between the foot of the bed and the next wall. In fact if we were to add cots to all the open floor space I think we could have fit 6 and still had room left over. I am not making a suggestion; the occupancy is still only 6. I am just trying to give a good idea of how spacious the room really is. It gets even better. There is a coffee table, executive office chair, desk, roll away table, dresser, sleeper sofa and two really comfortable queen beds. Then there was the bathroom, it also was huge! There is a little privacy wall between the beds and the sofa.
Location:
You will find this hotel fairly easily off of the interstate with many other hotels restaurants and shopping, all in walking distance.
Internet:
We loaded it with almost everything we carry and could not drop the speed. Internet was free.
Helpful hints:
Pre-booking is a great idea to catch deals. We paid about $65/night.
Additional Information:
Check around the front desk and in the store for many great deals on area locations, restaurants and attractions. We have stayed at many Comfort Suites and this one is the best. If possible we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Request rooms in the middle of the hotel they are much larger.
3 Thank DrOfAvarici
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We first stay at the Comfort Suites Williamsburg in August of 2010 and we have returned approximately every month since. We have fallen in love with the area and are season pass holders for Busch Gardens. Every experience has been a pleasant one. When I call now, they know who I am and that makes me feel good. Their customer service is second to none. The staff is very friendly and a joy to deal with. I would highly recommend anyone stay at this hotel. I have a background in hotel management, having been a front desk manager for a number of years and I know what goes into running an establishment such as this one.

The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The mattresses are very nice and all of the rooms we have ever stayed in also have pull out sofas. Nice for when my two teenage daughters decide they need separate beds. We feel at home when we stay here. When I make a reservation I always call a few days in advance to confirm and pay for my room, we almost always arrive later in the evening and they always tell me there will not be a problem and there never is. The facilities are quiet and I have never awakened in the night as a result of noise from other parts of the hotel.

The hotel over all is extremely well decorated. It is pleasing to the eye and very comfortable. When my family enters the lobby, we feel like we are in our own living room. My kids usually flop down on the round sofa while we are checking in. Then they are off to take a swim in the indoor pool, which is sometimes hard to get them out of after a day at the amusement park.

They serve a breakfast and have a nice variety of hot and cold selections including, make your own waffles and biscuits and gravy as well as cereal, muffins and bagels along with coffee and juices. If you leave hungry, it's your own fault! You can even take your breakfast or your coffee and newspaper outside and enjoy the cool morning away from the bustle of the breakfast room.

This hotel is newer, having been opened in 2010. It is well maintained and I have even traveled with my parents who enjoyed their stay, and they are not easy to please.

The reviewers who have rated this hotel lower have their reasons, I'm sure. However we all need to remember that things happen and people have bad days. Sometimes mistakes occur and the only time we ever had a problem with our reservation was when we could not be reached because the hotel could not get an approval on the card we had reserved the room with. They canceled the reservation as per their policy and sold the room on a busy weekend. We do not fault them for that. In fact they offered to get us a room at another hotel. But we had had such a bad day we decided to just make the 4 hour drive home. Everything happens for a reason. They are tops in my book.

Give this hotel a try the next time you are traveling to the Williamsburg area. You won't be disappointed and you may even like it so much, you make it your regular place to stay, just like we did.

Room Tip: Make sure that you confirm with the hotel personally, by phone a few days prior to your arrival beca...
3 Thank NoreenLambert
Punxsutawney, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed at the Comfort Suites Bypass on Oct 6, 2011, and it was a great experience. I loved the hotel. The decorating was magnificent and beautifully done. I didn't care if I ever left the hotel. My grandchildren said it was the best place they had ever stayed in. They loved the pool with the colored lights, and the water temperature was 89 deg. The rooms were large and well maintained and the bed was comfy. My only complaint would be that the bathrooms need to be kept cleaner while the same guests are staying there. They were clean when we came, but not scrubbed too well in the tub and the floor while we were there. We stayed 4 nights. The breakfasts were delicious and my favorite was the sausage gravy over biscuits. I don't understand why the # rating isn't higher on the hotel ratings by guests. To me, it should be a #2 or a #3. Mariam, at the front desk, was great and so were the others. We came out one morning and the battery was dead in our car. Mariam got someone to give us a jump and then checked to see who was open on Sunday to sell us a battery. She found an auto store and gave us directions to it. She was a really nice person. I would definitely stay here again on a return trip to Williamsburg. It was great! Also, hotel is very close to many restaurants within walking distance and in a quiet location.

3 Thank lovetotravelanytime
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

This past weekend, my wife and I stayed at this relatively new Choice hotels property in Williamsburg. Over the years, it feels as if I've stayed in just about every hotel in this town. Unfortunately, the majority of the hotels in Williamsburg are average at best. There are some newer properties popping up, like this one, that seem to be changing that aspect of accommodations in Williamsburg. This is easily the nicest *Choice Hotel* property in Williamsburg, and there are quite a few of them in town. However, I have to base this review on our first stay at this particular location. We checked in and were assigned a room on the 4th floor. I swiped the electronic card to our room, opened the door and I was shocked to hear someone yelling from inside that we were in the wrong room! I said back that this was the room we were assigned and that the key actually worked. We went right back to the front desk and the other guests had already called down as I could tell by the conversation. The desk clerk explained that the couple in the room had switched rooms, and someone on the morning staff had not switched our assigned room. She switched us to a room on the 3rd floor (this was extremely noisy from the guests above simply walking around... definitely request the top floor!). Although the hotel is nice enough, I would definitely not stay at this property again based on this security concern. If these guests had been out for the night, we could have easily had access to the room and their belongings. No excuse!

Room Tip: Request top floor facing back towards the woods. Remember to lock to the top lock in the room and s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Thrillrider
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We found the comfortable beds and big rooms of the Comfort Suites Bypass really made the trip worth it. Our hotel room was quiet -- in bed, I couldn't hear the shower in the bathroom and we heard no noise from the hall. Nice breakfast, too. [The decor may be out of date in a short time, but decor isn't why we chose the hotel!]

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family