“Great For Lunch Dinner Not So Much” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Buon Amici - CLOSED

Buon Amici
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: New Town Avenue
Transit: Williamsburg Transit Bus & Trolley stop across street
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great For Lunch Dinner Not So Much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

My review here is two fold as Buon Amici was great for lunch but dinner was average.

First the lunch. They had a fabulous soup and salad lunch special that consisted of a great crab bisque and a grilled salmon salad that was simply out of this world for $10. It was fantastic.

When we returned for dinner a week later we opted for two pizza's which were small personal size and not really up to our expectations. Wine by the glass was expensive and the pour was rather skimpy.

We are planning on going back to have another go at dinner just to be fair as the lunch that we had was just greatand perhaps the day of our dinner they were just having a bad night.
Who knows?

Southeasten Virginia
“Good food, bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We dined here with friends last night. The waiter seemed a tad annoyed that we were ordering a light meal instead of 2 or 3 courses. The restaurant was very dark and we had to use the one tealight to read the menu. Also the music was so loud, we had to ask the waiter if it could be turned down so that we could talk.

Our water was never refreshed and the iced tea one person ordered was never refreshed. At the end of dinner, two of us ordered coffee. The coffee was room temperature and stale. When I asked for some "hot" coffee, the waiter told us that the heaters under the pots were turned off! He brewed another pot and returned with the fresh coffee.

The restaurant was not busy inside but the outside patio was nearly full when we left. Still, it isn't a good enough reason for the lack of attention we received. What a disappointment to our out of town guests.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Prices for those who don't care about cost”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Found this restaurant next door to the shuttered Thai Pot which had apparently expanded and added other cuisines and changed name.Looked like they couldn't make the payments on loans. Decided with our group to go next door to this Italian restaurant and we should have looked at a menu before sitting down. Much of the menu pricing was way out there and half of us decided to do individual 12" pizzas of various types. They were also priced fairly high but ingrediants were not Dominos. I had a shrimp pizza that had one medium shrimp on each slice.Food quality is a subjective thing but pricing is a bit more objective. I ordered a side salid not because it was on the menu but because the waiter asked. Turned out to be $8. More than I expected. Then there was the drink. I ordered a tonic water (noothing in it except tonic water. Got a 4 oz glass and was really surprised that it was not in a soda glass. I guess the little stir straw meant that I was going to be ripped on this one. Mid way through the meal my glass was empty and the waiter asked if I wanted another. I said yes and he brought another glass. But this time it was club soda. Guess he forgot what I was drinking and I didn't feel like making an issue out of it. (This was four couples in a group. When the bill came I got the thrill of knowing that there is a restaurant that thinks a fare price for a 4 oz glass of soda is $2.50 and that if you want another you will pay $5 Frankly, that's outlandish and if I had not been with the group I'd have made a point of telling them that I didn't enjoy being ripped off. Bottom line is that the quality of the food and atmosphere becomes meaningless if they make you feel as though they don't have to price fairly. Because that will be the most important thing I'll remember about this place.

2 Thank multicruiser
Fairfax Station, VA
“Good food & leisure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Summary:
Accepts reservations
Dishes: 2 out of 3 were great.
1) Veal on bone dish is my friend's favorite. She gets it every time. She loves that she can take half home with her.
2) Another friend had a Risotto and chicken dish. The chicken was excellent but the Risotto was not up to par and mushy. One friend is Italian, the other grew up in NJ eating Italian food so I trust their judgment. The server adjusted our meal as a result of the Risotto. 3) I had the shrimp battered with egg whites and linguine tossed with spinach. Delicious, but required some parmesan and wish there was a tad more spinach.
The dinner service was longer than normal - we had cocktails, appetizers, a salad and entree. It was quite nice. In fact it took about 2 and half hours to complete our meal. There was a bit too much time in between the delivery, but I didn't mind because it provided an opportunity to visit and for great conversation.
The server - Collin was helpful with the selections. He... forgot to bring my wine, but only after he had already taken the others orders. It had been sitting on the counter so I just figured it had more time to breathe. It took me a while to select a wine. They had only had one Malbec on the wine list. It was so, so.
-Garlic bread was brought to the table after our entree, appetizers, and salad, but it was hot and had just come out of the oven.
- Desserts looked great. Lots of folks around us had them. We passed.
Overall: Would come again.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Finiky
Newport News, Virginia
“Swanky bar, pretty good food, nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Visited here with my mother and niece. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a table inside. The food was good. We had the cheese plate as an appetizer (super delicious). The entrees were pretty good--one pizza (very good), mushroom ravioli (good, but rich in flavor), and fet. alfredo (not great, but not bad).

I think the place has more potential for date nights or special occasions. The bar area looks nice and sophisticated.

• Visited July 2012