“Busch Gardens Williamsburg Howl-O-Scream” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Busch Gardens Williamsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Take your family to a place where fun comes naturally, Williamsburg, Virginia, home to Busch Gardens® and Water Country USA. First, challenge Busch Gardens’ newest roller coaster, Verbolten®, a breathtaking, multisensory thrill ride through the Black Forest. Then discover shared family fun playing at Sesame Street® Forest of Fun™ and Land of the Dragons®. Water Country USA®, Virginia’s largest water park, is just three miles west of Busch Gardens and features state-of-the-art water rides and resort-style amenities. Guests are in for an epic journey on the park’s newest family thrill slide, Colossal Curl™, which debuts this spring. True to its name, this mega water slide will deliver a high-adrenaline, family-friendly, action-packed adventure.
South Hills, Pennsylvania
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Busch Gardens Williamsburg Howl-O-Scream”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

Overall, recommended: mainly for the seasonal shows, which were fantastic! Drawback: a few of the rides were closed until evening because they were turned into haunted houses, hence limiting your fun if you do not want to experience the Haunted Houses.

We went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg on October 1, 2011 and found the park decorated for a darker- version of Halloween. We entered the park at opening and stayed for the daylight hours. My family was really liked the seasonal Halloween Show called ‘Monster Stomp Revamped’- My son really liked the Skeleton Dance. The whole show was impressive to watch, and very crowded so get there early! I personally enjoyed the Fiends Show in Germany’s Hofbrauhaus. I would recommend eating before or after the show- not during because the show will hold you attention and your food will get cold. (I was worried about this and ate beforehand, but more because of the ‘ick -factor.’) Just so you know- the show is not gross. The Fiends show is Dr. Frankenstein meets Rock Opera. We also watched the outdoor Jack is Back Show and it pales in comparison to the other two shows. The park has disclaimers about having your children watch the shows, but we found that they were all acceptable for our 9 year old son. Some were heavily laden with scantily clad women dancing around, but its no worse that what is on the TV.

We opted not to stay for the Haunted Houses and Scare Fest of characters that jump out and try to scare you. This element opens at 6 PM. There was plenty to do during daylight hours to experience a family-friendly, semi-spooky Busch Gardens Halloween. Please note, the park seemed to get a huge influx of people around 5-6 PM.

2 Thank chezcalais

• Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sanford, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Howl-o-scream Closed at 2pm!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

Took the kids for howl-o-scream everyone was tired so we decided to take a break and come back about 5pm.

Park was closed and did not re-open as they were at capacity. wast of my money and time.

Suggestion if you are going for howl-o-scream go early DO NOT LEAVE and be prepaired to wait in extremely long lines for anything you want to do unless you pay extra to get guick que and then the waits will only be about 15 min or so.

Save your money and your patience just say no.

4 Thank gpphelps
Maryland, USA
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Howloscream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Went to Howl-o- Scream yesterday. 2 adults to boys 10 and 11 years. We purchased all access insiders tour for about 72pp with my Platinum pass. The park hit capacity at around two pm and they closed it. We also purchased quick queue. We went through and rode only the big stuff. Started with Lochness, no fast Pass still a good coaster took 30 minutes. All the cars were going they were moving the crowds pretty quickly. Next Apollos Chariot and the queue had about 16 people ahead. They only sat four at a time so took about 15 minutes to get through. No loops and smooth we love this coaster. Then on to Dragons land and the boys climbed around for 15 minutes.

Then on to Alpengist no big drops but tons of loops and rolls. Quick queue here was fast waited 5 minutes. Next was Dar Castle. Waited only 5 minutes awesome ride if your in the front row and we were! Next was The Griffon. Always smooth and awesome but only lasts about 30 seconds. Queue here wasn't great waited 15 minutes.
Ate at the grill in Ireland Pretty good.

Then hooked up with our tour. Ben our guide was FABULOUS! Ok, toured Dead Line without the actors. It was interesting. Would have been more fun to talk to and ask questions of the actors. For me it just ruined the surprise I would of got when we did tour it. Then over to Bitten. Here we were scared, lots of actors following laughing scaring. We screamed our heads off. The line was longer than any I've ever Seen and our guide just walked us right in.
Then over to front row for Fiend show. Was about DR Jekyll making a monster with great pop music, singing dancing and sexy nurses. A little risqué but mostly just
dancing. Sometimes the actors came out and danced and interacted with the crowd. FUN. Also be aware most of this show faced forward. This was our favorite, best show and we were allowed to get pictures with the
actors.
Then a free meal, side, dessert and drink. We thought the ribs were better here than over in the western area.

Next we headed back over to deadline. Here there were zombies actIng to scare you in a abandoned Subway station and subway car. I think the actors really make this. If they're into it it's more real and scary. It was just ok for me not as dark as our favorites. Making this darker would help it. Be aware in the bathrooms the toilets are spraying water... Gross!

Next was Fear Fair with crazy deadly clowns with chain saws. Suppose to be a fair gone bad. And a man eating chicken. Ahh, not that great. Still fun though.

On to 13. So this is suppose to be 13 scariest phobias like fire, snakes, spiders, heights, dark, claustrophobia, dentist ect. This was our least favorite. Sometimes you
couldn't even tell what the phobia was.

Then we did Jack is back an outside pumpkin head dance show fun but the crowd was huge by now. Barely able to see or move.

Then second row seats for Monster Stomp. Our seats were off to the side just enough to not be that great. I wish we had been more center. Loved the shows especially the knife drummers and skeleton dancers which would have been awesome with more center seats. This show lost its thunder with the poor singing. I hate to say it but it's true and the female singer was really poor. Thankfully the strong point carrying this show wasn't the singers anyway so it was still good.
Now we walked all over the park. Tons of walking total for the day about 8 miles. We went through all the outdoor little scare zones. They have tons of actors and lots of smoke makers and are pretty fun. Again the actors make it. The greatest actors were in Bitten, Catacombs and honorable mention to Dead Line. So, our last maze was Catacombs like underground tombs in Paris. It was dark and full of skeletons and our hands down favorite. The actors were many and very into it.

I have to say the lines were sooo long. We would have never seen it all or had a good time without the tour. So hail Ben and all his help. Would not even accept a tip he totally deserved.

All in all we loved it, my feet still hurt. Our boys were the perfect age and we laughed ourselves silly!

1 Thank kisswells
York, Pennsylvania
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Good, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

I guess you could say that I have mixed feelings about this visit. I was with 4 buses of teens who were visiting the area. They would surely have a different view, as they got on the rides, etc. As an amusement park, it's pretty and has lots of things to look at and shows to see. The food at Octoberfest was exceptional. The portions were HUGE and the taste was great. I have never seen sandwiches so big or pieces of cake so tall. The show, however, though entertaining, was way too much like a burlesque show and I cringed at the thought that the teen boys would be seeing these scantily clad women jiggling around all over the room. I found this to be odd, since the park rules insist on "appropriate clothing" for people in the park.
I guess the biggest disappointment was the lack of nighttime lighting. We were there from noon until 10 PM and I kept waiting for the structures to be lit on the outside, but it never happened. Had it not been for the flashlight in my pocket, I would have been hard pressed to get around in the dark. The inside of the shops were lit, but inadequate outside lighting in my opinion.
For those with walking problems, you can rent a scooter at the entrance. This park has many hills and some older people might find it a challenge. Lots of things for sale throughout the park, some junky and some very nice (normal for these places) I don't ride the rides so can't comment on them, though people seemed to be really wrapped up in the coasters and I heard only good comments. Some of the kids sat their bags down because you can't have any lose objects on the big coaster and one girl had $40 taken from her purse. This is not the parks fault, because I did see that there were lockers available and they should have been used.
It's a nice family park , always people cleaning, lots of rest rooms and, with the exception of the risque show (it's Halloween month there) and the lack of nighttime lighting, it was worthwhile to visit.

Carrollton, Virginia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Highly Dissatisfied for 2 years in a row!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

I am really dissatified right now about Howl o scream. My family and I have been faithful Busch Gardens pass members for at least 4 years now and I am so tired of not being able to get into Howl or Scream. I thought it was a flook last year that we just picked a bad day to go but this year has been the same problem. We drive all the way to Williamsburg from Carrollton, VA to find out that the park is filled to capacity. Every weekend we try to get in and every weekend we are turned away because you guys are full. I am at the point where I am about to cancel out season passes and just but the cheaper Fun Passes because we can never get in during Howl o Scream. I am sure they are making a ton of money but by the looks of all the cars that are being turned away, they are missing out on a lot more money. I know I am not alone in expressing how upset I am that We have not been able to get in. In my opinion you all should either start Howl o Scream earlier or do it Thursday - Sunday.IF YOU ARE COMING FROM OUT OF TOWN DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! I AM cancelling the 5 season passes I have for our family and just get the summer pass. Howl o Scream is awesome but you cannot get in unless you are there from open to close and even then the wait for the haunted houses is unreal. We're talking 2 hrs +. They really need to do something to make things more accomodating for more people.

7 Thank Alneader W