“A great accommodation”

Williamsburg Sampler Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 21 Williamsburg B&B and Inns
“A great accommodation”
Reviewed November 2, 2005

The exterior and interior of this Inn is impressive. Not only is this home a wonderfully furnished bed and breakfast, it contents is exceptional. They have a wonderful entertainment center with pool table, slot machine and 60" TV flat screen that we enjoyed along with the other guests. Oh yes, they even have a nice fully equipped gym.

The sleeping accommodation has a wonderful and restful 4 post carved king size bed, and a great shower with jets coming from two points.

The guests and us were pleased with the breakfast which filled us up until dinner time.

We certainly enjoyed this home and will recommend it to our friends.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Northern VA
Reviewed November 2, 2005

My husband and I spent 2 nights the Sampler and had a mediocre experience compared to our stay at other B&Bs.

The inn itself is pretty both on the exterior and interior. It is beautifully landscaped and furnished with with interesting antiques. The common areas look like pleasant places to relax and enjoy the company of other guests.

Our chamber room was small, but comfortable and clean except for the extremely dusty ceiling fan. One of the walls should be repainted because it’s badly marked up. On our first night, we saw a huge, maybe 3 inch, round, brown bug crawling on the crown molding – yuck. We also found a few dead ants in the tourism pamphlets in our room. The bathroom was clean, complete with a soothing, powerful shower. I was disappointed in the shampoo and lotion because they were both obviously used (only 2/3 full). We didn't like the tiny ants we occasionally saw crawling on the baseboards either.

The breakfast was disappointing – after reading all the glowing reviews, we had high expectations for homemade muffins/pastries and healthy portions of delicious, gourmet food. We didn’t have any of the above. Breakfast the first day included: 1 small glass of orange juice (no refills offered), coffee/tea, store bought coffee cake, a cup of canned fruit mixed with yogurt, 2 slices of thin French toast, and a small portion of potatoes sautéed with onions and sunflower seeds. Both my tea and French toast were served lukewarm at best; the food was decent otherwise. The worst part of breakfast was when the innkeeper put his bare fingers through the potatoes on my plate before serving it to me, – he did this at the table, in front of all the guests and commented that he was making sure the potatoes didn’t have any bacon in them since I requested a vegetarian meal. I was disgusted as were all the guests (we guests quietly talked about the incident the next day). Breakfast on the second day was better in that the food appeared to be handled properly. The menu was similar to the first day except for the “hot” items, which were: scrambled eggs with almonds (again, lukewarm – hot would have been much more enjoyable), a tiny portion of potatoes sautéed with mushrooms and a slice of raisin toast.

Overall, the Sampler is a lovely inn and the innkeeper is pleasant - the problems are in the details.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank Number2
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 30, 2005

The front of this B&B is beautiful and well-kept, a welcome sight to tired travelers. The inside is very fully decorated--some might think cluttered, but I like B&Bs, so I liked all of the eclectic collectibles that decorated the house. The suites are definitely roomy and well-appointed with beautiful furniture and period art pieces. The upstairs back porch is shared by the two adjacent suites, and is a great place to watch the sun set. The inn is a 15-20 minute walk to Colonial Williamsburg, and situated on a picturesque 2-lane road next to the College of William & Mary. The stuff of postcards!

However, there were some problems. First, the housekeeper did not knock before entering our suite. The shower was not clean, nor was the bathroom floor. Then, there were the breakfasts. I was extremely disappointed overall with the quality, taste, and quantity, considering this was supposed to be a "Skip Lunch" meal. The coffee cake/pastry offered was a generic store-bought type, not the homemade muffins I read about in the other blogs. The food was not "gourmet" by any definition, unappetizing to be polite, made worse by the host stirring his finger in someone's potatoes right at the table to see whether hers was the vegetarian plate, at the horror of all the guests.

The first morning, we were served a plate of sweets--french toast drowned in chocolate and strawberry sauce, a canned-fruit & yogurt cup, and a small, under-seasoned portion of potatoes with soggy bacon mixed in. I could hardly eat any of this, and was hungry in no time. The second day, we had about a 1/2 cup of some sort of scrambled egg concoction and a small pile of potatoes with nuts and raisins..? Again, I was hungry in no time because I couldn't eat the breakfast. For $200 per night with tax, I expected at least a decent breakfast with my stay, or else I would have stayed at Kingsmill Resort for a few dollars more.

In all, the stay was nice enough. The accommodations were great for a B&B, and would have been even better if the Innkeeper would hire a new housekeeper and maybe re-think his breakfast menus or leave the cooking to someone else.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank mariana_lieu
Reviewed August 14, 2005

We arrived late and were greeted at the street by the proprietor, who shoed us our suite. The whole B&B is like a museum, with period pieces and collections. Very nice place to stay. Highly recommended. Host is interesting and a joy to chat with.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 18, 2005

I read all the glowing reviews here and so booked a room at the Sampler for a trip to Colonial Williamsburg. I feel like I stayed at a different place than what everyone described.

I have never stayed at a placed that had so much "stuff". Every surface was cluttered. The dining room had so many figurines lined up along the wall that you had to be careful getting to your chair.

Our room had a comfortable bed and a nice clean bathroom, but it was dark and I was really turned off by all the tchotches on every surface.

Maybe I'm not really a B&B person and should have expected this type of decor.

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank Sue M
Reviewed June 1, 2005

We just returned from celebrating our 1st anniversary in Colonial Williamsburg. When trying to decide where to stay, it came down to two B&Bs. We almost chose the "other one", but thankfully my intuition told me to pick the Sampler. It was absolutely perfect. The decor consists of not only antiques but also interesting pieces from around the world. (You should see all the roosters in the kitchen.) Ike, the owner, is fantastic and really knows how to make his guests feel welcome. By the time we left, we felt like we had been staying with family. His "Skip Lunch" breakfast is fantastic and includes his delicious homemade muffins. At the end of the day, the best place to unwind after a day of sight seeing is the basement. It has a huge televison, pool table, dart board and slot machine (with tokens). We are not great at pool, but we still had a blast. There is also a great workout area in the carriage house out back, but we never had the time to use it. I could go on for hours about how much we loved the Sampler, but you should go and check it out for yourself. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed April 9, 2005

My wife and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon in the DC and VA area. The Sampler is set in a beautiful period building with the historic area a pleasant 15 walk, which passes by William and Mary College.

The house itself is a fabulous mix of colonial/civil war memorabilia on the ground floor and, downstairs, an area with plasma screen TV, real one-arm bandit and a pool table. Our room, the Lord Nelson, was small but very well equipped with a huge, comfortable bed and a shower to die for.

But the Sampler is so much more than all this: the proprietor Ike Sisane is genuinely warm and friendly. He cooks a superb breakfast and, wonderful though this is, the real pleasure is lingering over the meal with the other guests - there is only one sitting for breakfast - and recapturing some of that 'family' atmosphere so often lost these days.

To spend too long in the Sampler would be to miss out on the historic area of Williamsburg, but if you're staying in the area it adds a certain touch of class to your visit. It cannot come more highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2005