“extraordinary weekend”

Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Leesburg, Virginia
“extraordinary weekend”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Some 30 years ago, we made frequent pilgrimages to The Inn, and the visits were extraordinary in every way. Then, years went by, and we did not return until 8 years ago. It was post-hurricane, and the huge oaks in the front lawn of The Inn were gone. But that was not all that was gone: In our opinion, the magic was gone. We had a pleasant stay, but the elegance was no longer there. We did not return until December 2012 for a weekend stay at The Inn. Our visit was extraordinary, with all the grace and magic and elegance that we experienced so many years ago. Thank You, Colonial Williamsburg!

5 Thank bmcilwn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I see that others liked this hotel and I respect their views but our experience was not nearly so memorable, and here it is:

The place is clean, traditional and charming in a boxed-up sort of way, but we found that the service and atmosphere underwhelming. The bar was always crowded (one bartender) and an officious, inelegant hostess loudly barked orders at people waiting for tables. Our Christmas dinner was something you could find in a Ramada Inn--and served cold--not an experience made any more pleasant by waiters arguing in front of us as to who was going to serve our table.

And in the end the thing that bothered me most was the complete absence of a management presence who circulated about, making certain everything was going well. I did not see a single management-type in the lobby or dining/bar areas, and at one point I in fact asked the bartender who was in charge of the place? His reply, "I think it is so-and-so, but he has an office in the basement and we don't see him around." There you have it..

Although we paid for the room, we left a day early, and I would not deign to return to the place.

So, it's all about expectations being met.. And ours were not.

7 Thank Clark H
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband & I both said on our ride home that we would return again next Christmas. We did not want for anything as the staff at the Williamsburg Inn made sure we our every desire was fulfilled. Dining at the Regency Room was so elegant and even though it was December and we couldn't dine outside, it was just so beautiful looking out onto the perfectly landscaped grounds
and patio areas visible thru the soaring dining room windows. I found a cozy reading room to nestle in and enjoy a cappuccino and my favorite book all to myself...what a dream! We will certainly miss all these little luxuries but knowing that we are returning next holiday season gives us something lovely to anticipate!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

There is no area in which one can complain about the Williamsburg Inn. From the moment you are greeted at the door, you know you are in a high quality establishment in which every detail is considered. My husband and I have stayed here during many different seasons enjoying the pool in the summertime and the fires in the fireplaces during the winter months. The concierge will take care of every need and the dining is superb. Spa facilities nearby are quite nice and (from what we can tell) the golf course looks quite appealing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a garden or golf course view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is one of the loveliest, most elegant places I've ever stayed. The room was very large and tastefully decorated, with very comfortable armchairs. The bed was extraordinarily comfortable with an abundance of pillows, both soft and firm to suit your preference. The marble bathroom was opulent with light-colored marble, an extra built-in heater, a huge glass shower, and high-quality toiletries.

We loved relaxing in the spacious, beautiful lobby which had a roaring fire and a Christmas tree decorated in traditional style surrounded by classic toys. The exterior was also delightfully decorated for Christmas. The hotel is just a two-block walk to the heart of the historic restored Williamsburg.

The Regency Room was closed for an event but our dinner in the Terrace Room was exceptionally delicious for a reasonable price. (I'm not sure the bread pudding will ever be topped by any other restaurant's desserts!) The breakfast there was also outstanding, and the room service meal was excellent.

Many of the staff have worked there for decades. Everyone is charming, caring, and eager to ensure that guests are well taken-care of. You'll need some cash for tips but won't mind because you'll be eager to show appreciation for the stellar level of service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYYVA
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed December 31, 2012

There really needs to be a special category to rate an Inn such as this. I have given an occasional 5-star review to other properties, however, this inn is in a class all of it's own, and it simply is not fair to group it with other hotels or resorts.

The Williamsburg Inn is a stately, elegant property. From the moment you arrive you are treated as if you are royalty, which they are accustomed to hosting. The lobby is graciously appointed with beautiful chair and sofa groupings, there are little rooms here and here with chairs and sofas and books along with photos of visiting dignitaries. Queen Elizabeth stayed here, as have many presidents and heads of state.

We had a luxurious suite with a comfortable bed, large sitting area and enormous, utterly opulent bath. There is no coffee service in the room, however, it can be ordered, or there is coffee provided just off the lobby with "to go" cups. They also provide you with a morning paper of your choice. There is a bit of a walk from some rooms to the lobby or dining areas, and some of the twists and turns in the hallways can be confusing at first, but after a day or so we got our bearings and we were able to navigate easily. Wandering around the hallways is not a loss, however, as you always find something pretty to look at since the inn is decorated so tastefully.

There is an elegant, formal restaurant as well as a less formal one, and a nice pub style bar. The food and service is outstanding in each.

The staff will arrange dinners at the historic inns along with other activities such as carriage ride or tours. The historic part of Williamsburg is within walking distance of a few blocks, however if you wish to visit the shops I would recommend that you drive and park in one of the public parking areas.

We stayed for five nights and it felt like home the entire time. It was absolutely a wonderful, pampering experience, and I can't recommend this lovely inn enough. I would rate it ten stars if I could.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
nashville, tn
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was our second time to the Williamsburg Inn and we found it to be as wonderful as the first time. We were there during one of the busier times and the Inn was totally booked and yet the service was still exceptional. Everyone was helpful and friendly especially the front desk, the concierge, and the staff in the bar. We initially had trouble booking rooms and ended up with two different reservations which the front desk sorted out with no problem. The concierge was very helpful in securing what ever ticketed events you might be interested in attending.

Since the Inn has only a few rooms - it is relatively quiet compared to the Lodge and has a much more homey, intimate feel to it. We had one of the few rooms with two double beds. The room is incredibly spacious - but unfortunately does not have a very nice view (see photo). The turn down service is wonderful with fresh water, fresh flowers, candies, weather reports and a list daily activities occurring in the colonial city. The only blip during our entire stay was the enormous dead cock roach in our room. I don't think in all my travels I have ever encountered this before and was surprised to find it in the room of a five star hotel. I guess the good news was that it was dead, rather than me chasing it around. I did inform the front desk and they sent someone up to investigate. Despite that, I would still give it 4 stars for staff, location, and ambiance. I must add the restaurant and the restaurant service was much improved since our last visit - no long waits for coffee and no uncooked eggs - everything was perfect.

Room Tip: I would ask about the view first.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family