All reviews regency room turn down service concierge staff golden horseshoe beautiful hotel luxury hotel colonial homes southern hospitality bottled water historic area large room duke of gloucester street wonderful stay sitting area fitness center rockefeller turndown
Selected filters
Reviewed December 31, 2012

There really needs to be a special category to rate an Inn such as this. I have given an occasional 5-star review to other properties, however, this inn is in a class all of it's own, and it simply is not fair to group it with other hotels or resorts.

The Williamsburg Inn is a stately, elegant property. From the moment you arrive you are treated as if you are royalty, which they are accustomed to hosting. The lobby is graciously appointed with beautiful chair and sofa groupings, there are little rooms here and here with chairs and sofas and books along with photos of visiting dignitaries. Queen Elizabeth stayed here, as have many presidents and heads of state.

We had a luxurious suite with a comfortable bed, large sitting area and enormous, utterly opulent bath. There is no coffee service in the room, however, it can be ordered, or there is coffee provided just off the lobby with "to go" cups. They also provide you with a morning paper of your choice. There is a bit of a walk from some rooms to the lobby or dining areas, and some of the twists and turns in the hallways can be confusing at first, but after a day or so we got our bearings and we were able to navigate easily. Wandering around the hallways is not a loss, however, as you always find something pretty to look at since the inn is decorated so tastefully.

There is an elegant, formal restaurant as well as a less formal one, and a nice pub style bar. The food and service is outstanding in each.

The staff will arrange dinners at the historic inns along with other activities such as carriage ride or tours. The historic part of Williamsburg is within walking distance of a few blocks, however if you wish to visit the shops I would recommend that you drive and park in one of the public parking areas.

We stayed for five nights and it felt like home the entire time. It was absolutely a wonderful, pampering experience, and I can't recommend this lovely inn enough. I would rate it ten stars if I could.

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was our second time to the Williamsburg Inn and we found it to be as wonderful as the first time. We were there during one of the busier times and the Inn was totally booked and yet the service was still exceptional. Everyone was helpful and friendly especially the front desk, the concierge, and the staff in the bar. We initially had trouble booking rooms and ended up with two different reservations which the front desk sorted out with no problem. The concierge was very helpful in securing what ever ticketed events you might be interested in attending.

Since the Inn has only a few rooms - it is relatively quiet compared to the Lodge and has a much more homey, intimate feel to it. We had one of the few rooms with two double beds. The room is incredibly spacious - but unfortunately does not have a very nice view (see photo). The turn down service is wonderful with fresh water, fresh flowers, candies, weather reports and a list daily activities occurring in the colonial city. The only blip during our entire stay was the enormous dead cock roach in our room. I don't think in all my travels I have ever encountered this before and was surprised to find it in the room of a five star hotel. I guess the good news was that it was dead, rather than me chasing it around. I did inform the front desk and they sent someone up to investigate. Despite that, I would still give it 4 stars for staff, location, and ambiance. I must add the restaurant and the restaurant service was much improved since our last visit - no long waits for coffee and no uncooked eggs - everything was perfect.

Room tip: I would ask about the view first.
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank LookOut1313
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here for three nights on an American Express special. We paid for two nights and got the thrid night free. Sometimes those great deals put you on the list for the least desireable rooms, but this was not the case here at the Williamsburg Inn. The Inn is the closest lodging to the historical area and the most luxurious.
We checked in early in the day after our horrible experience at the Governors Inn. I posted a separate reviw on that disgusting place. Our room was not ready, so we headed off to the historical city after a stop at the concierge desk. The concierge office is a museum in itself. There are so many artifacts to examine that you could spend hours just in that office. One that was particularly impressive was an invitation to the coronation of HRM Elizabeth II.
You can purchase all of your tickets for the various events and shows right there. The gentleman was so helpful with planning and recommending the "must see" programs. We were also able to get prime dinner reservations at all our of chosen restaurants.
There are so many reasons to choose this unbelievable property, however, the staff is at the top of the list.
About an hour after we walked over to the historical area my phone rang. The front desk manager called to say that she noticed we were there for three days celebrating our anniversary. She wanted to let us know that we had been upgraded to a suite and that it would be ready in an hour- way before standard check in time.
The suite was absoutely beautiful. It had a separate living room with a fireplace and large foyer with a half bath. The full bath had a glass door shower and a giant soaking tub. The toiletries are as fine as those at the Waldorf. Each room of the suite, including the bathrooms had fresh flowers every day. The linens were exquisite. There were plenty of fluffy towels and comfortable robes with slippers in the bathroom.
The Colonial Williamsburg shuttle stops just down the street from the front of the Inn. It makes a loop around the old city and is very convenient for most trips, however the Inn keeps minivans available at all times to drop off and pick up guests from all areas. We used it twice and were impressed with how quickly they come to pick you up when you call.
Sometimes opulence is equated with stuffiness, but not at the Williamsburg Inn. Everyone was friendly and very helpful. The furnishings almost invited you to sit and enjoy the surroundings.
If you belong to the Leaders Club, breakfast is included in the price. It is worth the membership fee to have this perk. They have an extensive menu and a very bountiful buffet. Every day there is a different special that is featured on both options. The sweet potato pancakes were so good, I wanted to take a dozen home. The orange juice is truly fresh squeezed and the coffee was smooth, yet robust. Better than the incredible food was the outstanding wait staff. We had Mike R take care of us each moring. The service was five star level.
The only "down side" on perfection is the spa. It is not actually located at the hotel. The booking experience was not very professional. They were running a special that was not available because there was a lack of staff. (yes, they told me that). They also promised to call me back and didn't. I was able to book a massage and when I arrived they had changed my reservation without my even consulting me. It seemed disorganized and understaffed. I would not recommend the spa. Spend your time and money at the hotel restaurant or on one of the shows in the historial area. There is nothing special at all and it is pricey.
I can't imagine staying anywhere else if you want the entire Colonial Williamsburg experience We went over to the Williamsburg Lodge one night to look around, but were not impressed. I can't imagine a hotel in a tourist area that closes the only restaurant on Monday night. Very strange and inconvenient if you are staying there.
Save your money and go for the gold if you are traveling to Colonial Williamsburg. You will love this place.

Room tip: Stay in the main building.
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful place to stay. We were there for Grand Illumination weekend so all the holiday decorations were up. Dinner in the regency room is a must, lovely evening with live music, great service and food. Sunday morning brunch is also a must. The rooms are very well appointed and everyone was very friendly.

Date of stay: December 2012
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Two couples spent 5 nights at the Inn. Great rooms. Included breakfast buffet huge! They greet you with "welcome home" and it feels like it. Fire crackling in the main lobby, cozy nooks all over the inn wonderful to chat and plan the day.

Comfortable beds, paper at your door. Dinning room is world class.

Date of stay: December 2012