“The Top Choice for Williamsburg”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens)
Ranked #38 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed October 31, 2009

This hotel continues to excel. With so many things in this world changing, I hold my breath, afraid that The Country Inn and Suites on Pocahantas Trial will also change. No need to worry. It continues to offer top quality and service.
The room and bath were spotless. Anything that we requested was supplied right away.. The dining area and the breakfast were superior. The fo menu had much more variety than the usual fare. The attendant very quickly kept everything replaced and cleaned up.
My grandson, a teenager, has traveled to Williamsburg three times this year with a sports group. Against his wishes he had to stay at other locations, that he said were no where near as nice as the Country Inn and Suites. He always requests that i get reservations there.
The location is perfect. Close to the Colonial area and Busch Gardens. Yet the traffice is not heavy to get in and out.
The folks there make you feel like they are so happy that you came. I wish that there was a place like this everywhere that I had to travel.
They really add to the pleasure of our trip.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens)

Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and first night we were woken up loud noise which we first thought was a helicopter above the hotel..noise did not go away and we realized it was a freight train. It took for about 5 minutes until it was quiet again (this was at 3am). Then again at 4am we were woken up by a loud noise, again a train that was passing by. I called the reception to find out if they would know about the train schedule and it there were more trains to come that night. They did not know and acted surprised that I was concerned about the noise. Response was "we do not get any complaints about the trains". I found that hard to believe since it was such a loud noise. When we went to the breakfast area in the morning I heard several people talking about being waken up by the train. I guess no one complained to the desk, since the front desk claimed they had never got a complaint before?! Anyway, the following 2 nights we were woken up by the train, but only once in the middle of the night..better. Train tracks are literally across the street. Otherwise the room was really nice and spacious. We had a huge dead bug in our coffee maker so we did not make any coffee in the room. Beds were nice and comfy and bathroom clean.
Fitness center is a very small room with 2 treadmills and 1 bike. There is also a small game room downstairs; little bit outdated games, though. Breakfast was pretty good; coffee, tea, juices, toast, bagels, waffles..they had also sausage patties, hard boiled eggs and bacon in the fridge that you could heat up in a microwave. Breakfast was included in the room rate.
This hotel is about 10 minutes drive from Buschgardens and about 15 minutes from Yorktown. Centrally located. There are several restaurants near by and across the hotel parking lot there is small cafe that is open for breakfast and lunch only.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone, except the fact it is quite noise when the trains go by.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Finngirl74
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites over Columbus Day weekend and visited Busch Gardens. There were twelve of us, ranging in age from 8 to 66 in three rooms.

I went into the lobby at 10am, not to check in but only to request that we be assigned rooms somewhat near each other. The efficient and friendly desk clerk let me know that our rooms had already been assigned, and that they were in fact adjacent to each other at the end of the hallway on the first floor. Perfect!

The lobby, by the way, was very pretty. Had a lending library and two computer terminals with internet access. Also, it had some Halloween decorations around but not so that they were too obtrusive.

We were very happy to find that the amusement park is essentially on the same road as the hotel and not very far at all. In between were a few restaurants (fast food and others) and some gas stations / convenience stores. Everything we needed within the three mile drive between hotel and park.

After touring the park all day we returned to the hotel for check in and that could not have been smoother. Fresh baked cookies for all!

The rooms were very standard. Nothing special at all but were everything that we needed. TVs, faucets and temperature controls did what they were supposed to do. I don't ask for much more than that. We did find one used tissue stuffed behind one of the mattresses, but otherwise no issues with cleanliness. One thing we found odd was that the layout of the rooms was inconsistent. Not a complaint, just an observation. One of our rooms had the ceiling heat lamp and the sink within the bathroom, while the other two rooms had the sink outside the bath and no heat lamp. Curious about that.

Breakfast was quite good. Clean breakfast area, and the attendant was constantly keeping up with things. It was a bit tight room-wise, as mentioned in other reviews, but I didn't mind that much. If there is a hotel guest who could not find something to eat at the breakfast area or was put off by the close quarters, the hotel is right next door to one of six or seven local pancake houses.

Outdoor pool was closed for the season.

All in all a very nice stay at the Country Inn and Suites. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SavvyMate
Reviewed October 23, 2009

My mother and I stayed here for one night on a brief weekend jaunt to Williamsburg and had a perfectly nice stay - clean, spacious room; very quiet; cookies in the lobby; decent breakfast spread. But what I want to rave about is the staff that were so great: my mother realized after we returned home to DC that she had left a favorite and irreplaceable necklace in the room. We immediately called and asked if it had been found and turned in by the cleaning staff, and when they said no, she assumed it was gone for good. However, they called her two days later to say that they had turned the room upside down, gone through all the laundry, etc. and found it. I truly appreciated their effort and honesty - and am pleased I don't have to return to Egypt just to purchase another necklace for mom.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed here while going to the Busch Gardens Halloween event (and I think 99% of the visitors in Williamsburg that weekend were there for the same reason!). Hotels raised their rates, so we ruled out the other Country Inn that we normally stay at (the one that looks nice and new on the outside). I was pretty apprehensive about staying at this Country Inn (on Pocohontas Trail) just because it looks pretty old on the outside, plus it's right next to the train tracks. But the hotel was great!

They decorated the inside for Halloween really nicely, which was great. We loved it. They had fresh cookies at the check in and they also provided us with a little 'goodie bag' with a water bottle, a candy bar, and info about the area, which was really nice. Our room was on the 4th floor -- we used the steps because the elevator seemed a little clanky and outdated -- and it was quite nice. Two double beds, large tv (no dvd or pay per view, but lots of channels), table with two chairs and coffee pot, lots of light, and side chair. It was a nice sized room. The bathroom was very nice --updated with granite sink top, a granite shower (it was NICE!), and a sink outside of the bathroom with a granite top too. We were impressed. The room was very clean, the beds were comfortable, nice pillows, and good heating (we ran the heat the entire time -- it was a cold weekend).

The breakfast was pretty good, although when we got there around 9:30 am things were getting low. They had some dry cereals, two packets of oatmeal (glad I got there when I did!), a ton of grits, fruit cups, yogurts, bagels, Krispy Kreme donuts (supposedly -- they were all gone by 9:30, although I saw someone with a glazed one), and a waffle maker with a line a mile long. They also had coffee, Tazo tea (nice!), and hot chocolate. The eating area was one small room and a second large room, both with big flat screen televisions. The dining area was also decorated for Halloween. It was such a cute hotel!

The 'business center' is two computers in the lobby -- which were occupied by children every time we went by. Never saw the workout room, but the pool outside looked really nice. They offer many books for visitors to read, which is a nice perk at Country Inns.

The only downside was the train. It was LOUD. The first time we heard it go by, we though there was an airplane taking off outside of our window. I heard it twice during the night, but my fiance said it woke him up. It is right outside of the window and it's loud, but I think it isn't too big of a deal. Overall, we had a great stay and would certainly return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SummerLove11
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We arrived at the hotel on a Friday night for a weekend at Howl O Scream at Busch Gardens. The entire hotel was decorated up for Halloween. We were surprised to find granite/corian sink countertops and bathtub wall slabs in the bathroom. Very Very nice. Everything was neat and clean. We were called after 30 minutes of checking in to the room to ensure it met our needs. The breakfast was a nice spread of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, assortment of juices, coffee, breads, bagels, yogurt, bacon, eggs, and sausage. The breakfast dining area even has skeletons handing from the ceiling. Very festive for the Halloween season. I would recommend staying here again. The pool was open, but the overcast and temperatures in the 70s kept it too cool to swim. Staff were outside cleaning it the very next morning. The hotel was only 2 miles from Busch Gardens.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Familyfunvacation101
Reviewed September 5, 2009

This hotel was very comfortable and clean. We had a room with 2 queen beds - standard size room. The extra sink/vanity outside the bathroom was helpful with 4 of us getting ready. A complimentary breakfast was included and had a wide variety of foods - a good way to start the day. The dining area was a bit cramped - removing a table or 2 would have given a bit more walking space. There was a small pool along with a children's pool and a nice patio area. I wish we had more time to use it. There were pc's in the lobby with internet access and if you had your own laptop, you could access the internet for free as well. All the employees we met were extremely friendly and helpful. The location was very close to Busch Gardens and Water Country ( a mile and half). It was only a 5-10 minute drive to Colonial Williamsburg and the outlet area, where there were more restaurants for dinner. It was a great value for our family.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family