“Location location location!”

Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed July 3, 2013

As the title suggests.....pretty darn close to Colonial Williamsburg....about a 15min walk. A 5 min walk gets you to the Visitor Center where you can get tix and grab a trolley if you don't want to walk. Not a huge hotel.....staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was at the conference center in the back which was a 5 min walk as well, but worth it because of the space it provided. Food was fine....no it's not haute cuisine, but it's fine for families. (Think they move it back here in July and August). Rooms are clean, but pretty spartan.....beds were soft in our standard room, but you are not getting luxury accommodations......like I said you are paying for location! Staying in a Wmsbrg run hotel gets you discounted CW admission, tickets to an evening program, tickets to day programs etc, so to us it was well worth it. Would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor overlooking courtyard was quiet
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Arietje
Write a ReviewReviews (2,283)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel has a great location. We parked our car and never moved it. It was nice to have the shuttle take us everywhere. Everywhere! Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country, Jamestown, Yorktown. The staff was very friendly. I was a little confused by the shuttle schedules at first, but the staff seemed happy to answer all of my neurotic questions! The only really bad thing about our room was the sofa bed. I have stayed in plenty of cheap motels 'down the shore' in my life, so I understand how bad sofa beds can be. This was the worst I ever experienced. After one night of trying to sleep on this pile of springs covered by a sheet I was ready to just check out and find somewhere else to stay. Yes, it was that bad. I asked the front desk if they could do anything and they brought up an egg crate style cushion and some extra blankets. It helped. It was still a crappy, creaky sofa bed, but it was tolerable. I had my two teenagers share the king size bed in the bedroom and that was fine. A little creaky, but soft. They slept fine. The room was a good size and clean. I thought breakfast was good. They always had two hot selections - ham and scrambled eggs, pancakes and sausage, biscuits and sausage gravy... they also had a area to toast waffles, english muffins, and bagels. Plus muffins, yogurt, cereals and juices. And coffee that was pretty good! If it was crowded inside, we sat outside. Nothing to complain about. The pool was also nice. I would stay here again but the first thing I'd do is check the sofa bed!

1  Thank amy m
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was really looking forward to this trip and it was a disappointment from the minute we drove onto the Woodlands property. First of all, we followed the signs to the Lobby/Registration area. It took us in a very long circular drive through the property and we ended up basically almost back where we started. This made no sense to us at all. We registered, tried following the map they gave us to our room and that didn't work at all! To make a long story somewhat shorter, this hotel is basically four buildings, or wings, all attached with hallways. Two banks of elevators serve the whole complex so be prepared to use the stairs a lot and also be prepared, if you're in one of the farther wings, to walk a lot. Carrying our luggage in was not fun! Our room was okay - they're two double beds and we really like a queen or king but we didn't have that option. It was clean and had a nice TV. Once we were settled, a huge storm came up - lots of wind and rain and all the lights went out. The hotel and all of Williamsburg was without power. The hotel did have generators but not enough to power everything. In our room, the TV worked, the entry light and bathroom light worked. If I have to choose between lights and TV, I'll take the TV every time so that was okay with me. It was then time for dinner and we made our way to the one and only restaurant on the property. As we were walking out of the hotel we met some people coming in who had just come from the restaurant. They told us because of the power problem, they were only serving cold sandwiches, salads etc. We could live with that so walked over to the restaurant, only to be told that they were closed. So, no food. We were there for a conference and for that night's meal you were given the option of a buffet or dinner on your own. We had chosen dinner on our own but thankfully enough people had paid for the buffet that they had to provide one. They had vans bus us all over to one of their other hotels, Williamsburg Lodge, which had generators enough to supply power for everything and so we were able to get dinner. The Woodlands has a free breakfast and I was not impressed. Just because something is free doesn't make it wonderful. We were there for three breakfasts - one they had pancakes and twice we had scrambled eggs. Pancakes are hard to keep hot and when the syrup is ice cold it's not a plus. The scrambled eggs were really bad. I would guess that they were powdered and I finally understood why men who served in the military don't eat scrambled eggs for the rest of their lives. The staff had a hard time keeping up with the coffee. The first morning I never had a regular cup of coffee because all they had brewed in all three coffee areas was decaf. One morning the staff was restocking the supplies in cupboards under the serving area and people couldn't get to the drinks and food because they were in the way. I thought that during the breakfast hours was probably not the best time to do this. We were still without power the next day so the entire conference was moved to the Williamsburg Lodge. My husband was the one attending the conference so I took the shuttle into Williamsburg. That is one really great thing about this hotel - it's very close to the Visitor's Center and the free shuttle into Colonial Williamsburg. Our trip so far had been so bad I really wasn't in the right mood to truly enjoy this historic town. You have to remember, without power we also had no hair dryer, no ice, no air conditioning. I realize this wasn't the hotel's fault but it just made for a very bad experience. I took the free shuttle back to the hotel and the shuttle doesn't drop you off in the same place it picks you up. For most people this probably wouldn't be a problem but I can get lost walking out of my own front door. I had no idea how to get back to the hotel, there are so many trees you can't really see the other buildings and there were no signs anywhere. I wondered around for 30 minutes before I finally found a map of the area and could see where I was and where I had to go to get back to the hotel. When I left around 9 AM that morning, I had put the MAID sign on our door. When I returned at 2 PM, our room had not been cleaned. I watched TV for an hour and then I really wanted to take a nap but the maid had yet to appear. So, I called down to the front desk, asked that my room be cleaned and went to the Lobby for an hour. When I got back, the room was cleaned but the TV no longer worked! So, I called down to the front desk and I was told they would send someone from maintenance right up. An hour and half later, still without a nap, I called the desk again to find out what had happened to the maintenance man. I was then told that I had been misinformed - the problem was with Cox Cable, they were trying to resolve it and no maintenance man would be coming! We went to dinner in Williamsburg that night - their power had been restored - and when we returned around 9:30 our power was also back on. The next day we had the same problem with the maid. I put the MAID sign on the door about 9 AM, left and came back mid-afternoon to a dirty room. I went down to the front desk to ask why, if I put the MAID sign on my door, the maid didn't come. I was more or less told that it was my fault because no one puts the MAID sign out and by doing that, I was confusing the maid. Two other problems we encountered were our cell phones and the free Wi-Fi. We, nor anyone in our group, could get cell service the entire time we were at the hotel. If you went into town, or over to the visitor's center you could get service but not in the hotel. I was very happy about the free Wi-Fi but I think you have to be in close proximity to the lobby to really benefit from that. We were so far away that we only had internet service sporadically and it would go in and out. It was quite annoying. On the plus side, the hotel is in a beautiful, wooded setting and the pool looked inviting but we never tried it. The conference we attended had a banquet on our last night so we were never able to try the restaurant. Note that it's only open for dinner. If you want lunch at the hotel you have to go to the small café at the Visitor's Center and you can get a sandwich and chips there. If I were to ever return to Williamsburg, I wouldn't stay here. The power outage wasn't their fault but I didn't feel like they really did a whole lot to help their guests. The staff was always friendly and polite and greeted you in the halls but that's not enough to make me come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby if you don't want to walk very much and if you want a good int...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Linda E
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our family stayed for one night, allowing us nearly two days to visit historic Colonial Williamsburg. We came to this hotel through the Colonial Williamsburg website.

The hotel is, in fact, VERY close to historic Williamsburg, which is fantastic and a huge upside to the hotel. Located steps from the Visitor's Center, the hotel offers second-to-none proximity. However, we found the rooms rather "dumpy", overdue for their make-over. The living room of our one-bedroom suite lacked air circulation (the air conditioner is in the bedroom), although I doubt the kids noticed, thanks to a big-screen TV.

The decor was drab and tired and the carpeting showing the passage of time (although it was clean). The bathroom lacked an air vent, which is only frustrating when you are trying to escape summer humidity. One day, I suspect, the mini fridge, microwave and sink will be updated and replaced with mini-kitchenettes replete with plates and silverware...

The hotel breakfast is CHAOS, and it oddly seemed as if busloads of people were being dropped off every 10 minutes, resulting in no place to sit and a long line for cold eggs. It seemed as if every corner to be cut had been....cut. They ought to take a page out of Residence Inn's book re: "How to Prepare Hot Breakfast for Hotel Guests".

I will note, finally, that the staff was lovely and helpful

1  Thank CJG_WH
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our family stayed here recently for three nights. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The spa bath products were the best. We were pleasantly surprised that the room also had a sleeper chair which meant our daughters didn't have to share a bed. The location is perfect for getting around the Historic Triangle. During our visit quite a storm rolled through and knocked out the power for 24 hours. Management did a great job making the best of this situation and the hotels' generator system worked hard. We still had a couple of lights, the tv and the interent working in our room during the entire outage. The breakfast had many different options and was kept well stocked. It does seem that this hotel caters to many tour and conference groups and I was a little worried to see a large group of students staying on our floor. I thought it was going to be noisy, but we didn't hear a peep - the kids were very well behaved and the rooms seemed to be quite sound proof!

1  Thank mitravelinfamily_10
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our family vacation this summer. Me, my husband, and our 3 kids (ages 10, 13, 14). We all had an awesome time! The absolutely clincher for us was the shuttle system. They have shuttles that go to all the sites. Can't beat it. We didn't have to drive anywhere unless we wanted to. Yes, there were lots of groups staying in the hotel, but we never had a problem with that. The staff was friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again and look forward to doing so.

2  Thank c1clifford
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at Woodlands Hotel and Suites last month while visiting Colonial Williamsburg. We chose this hotel based on reviews from Trip Advisor and I was glad we did.

This hotel is really perfectly located if you plan to visit Colonial Williamsburg. It is located next door to the Visitor Center and a short pleasant walk to Colonial Williamsburg. It is next door to Huzzah! (on-site restaurant) which was great. We parked our car and did not have to use it the whole time we were there.

Our room was on the top floor as we requested a quiet room. Our room was adequate and comfortable and the staff at the hotel was really nice. It rained really hard both days that we were there and they had umbrella for us which was great!

The breakfast was fine with hot and cold selections and it was great for us. We were there part of Memorial weekend and it did get busy but the staff made sure everything was fine.

We had a pleasant stay there and we would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple