“My first trip to Colonial Williamsburg Virginia”

Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was my first trip to Colonial Williamsburg and it was an absolutely perfect hotel for us..It was friendly,clean,and very well in price range for what you got...Also the The restraunt right across the walk way Hussuns was the best.the food was great and the servers were wonderful.We had Angela and Lisa were some of the best servers I ever had. WE were not disappointed what so ever with there and the buses were great Very friendly drivers and the dropped you off at different locations and you never waited long for a bus to come..I know I cant wait to go down again

Room Tip: We were on the first room with 2 double beds and it was very roomy in there
1  Thank Roxanne H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,267)

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as a chaperone on a class trip. It was pretty luxe accommodations for fifth graders, in my opinion, but if I were to stay here as a family I'd wonder about noise from groups. Best to request a room AWAY from the big groups - have no idea if they do this anyway. Meals were surprisingly good!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank AnnParris
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Since it is a Colonail Williamsburg property it is very convenient, located next to the Visitor Center and shuttles. The rooms, especially the suites, are nice, very clean, with good amenities. They offer a different breakfast buffet each AM and it very busy they put overflow in the Huzzah restaurant next door. They are not preferct but if they make a mistake they correct it immediately. The staff is frinding and helpful. have stayed here more than once and will no doubt stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor suite
1  Thank MBNick
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great hotel and a quality stay! Had all the right "C's": comfort, convenience, clean, contemporary, and cozy. And quiet. Nothing to complain about except our room didn't have a refrigerator or microwave (most rooms did) - not sure why, but we didn't need one. Shuttle buses are right next door in the visitor's center. Good hot breakfast with varied selections.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Woodlands hotel is large. Elevators are few. Corridors are long. it is only 3 stories high and hss a confusing layout. The handicapped-accessible room we asked for was on the 3rd floor, a long way from from the elevators and the handicapped parking spaces. My companion on this trip is mobility impaired. All of this made what could have been a nice stay instead rather aggravating. But breakfasts (included) were ample buffets (eggs, pancakes, sausages, ham on alternating days) and quite tasty. The maintenance and dining room staffs were attentive and friendly. A room closer to an elevator (and to appropriate parking) would have greatly improved the quality of our stay. Why was the hotel designed so poorly?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank NYscholar2
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Anyone who knows me knows that I love Williamsburg. As a history buff - especially of early American history- this place is just perfect. So I found myself booking a room at the Woodlands for the 3rd time in a row and on my 6th visit.

This time I went in March (I usually go in the mid summer) and found the staff and accommodations just as fantastic as the other times. I expected to find the hotel a bit dead in March but it was just a busy as ever. The hotel provides a free breakfast buffet that has a wide assortment of items (also changes daily) such as pancakes, cereal, yogurt, and sausages. I wanted to go to Huzzah (worth checking out BTW!) the restaurant located on the property but found it closed every time we attempted to go. It had odd hours when we were there: Tuesday -Sunday 5:00-9:30. A quick look at the website shows that they're open on Mondays currently (April 2013) but I'm pretty sure the last time we were there (July 2012) they were open at night until 11pm. Since everything closes so early in Williamsburg (my only complaint) I liked that Huzzah was open a bit later. Doesn't seem to be the case though anymore unfortunately.

Anyway, Woodlands has the visitor's center on the property, where one can visit the gift shops, take the trolley into the historic area, or walk to the historic area (make sure you stop at Great Hopes Plantation!). Inside the hotel itself is another smaller gift shop where the staff is very friendly though she sadly mentioned that Colonial Williamsburg has been doing a lot of budget cuts, a gym, and access to games for the family.

I think next time I visit Williamsburg I'll try to get a room in one of the colonial houses in the historic area just to mix it up a bit but Woodlands is certainly still on my list of places to stay in the area - great rooms, food, and staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank prairiedances
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a little difficulty finding the check-in area upon arrival. Well-maintained building and grounds. Easy access to visitors center and historical sites by utilizing shuttle or walking path. We rarely had to wait longer than 5 minutes for a shuttle. Continental breakfast was convenient and included healthy options (fresh fruit!) as well as food our children (ages 10 and 3) enjoyed. It was very busy as we were there during the week, so there were many school groups, but I think the staff did a good job of keeping everything filled. Tables could have been wiped down a little faster between groups. We did not get to use the pool (I forgot to pack swimsuits...bad mama), but enjoyed the playground area and mini-golf. We ate at Huzzah's (on-site restaurant) for dinner twice. Staff and manager were attentive and friendly. We enjoyed our meals enough to go back a second night; selections included less pricier options and kid friendly foods. We chose a regular room with 2 double beds. It provided enough space for our family of four, and was clean and comfortable. Several things that made me a very satisfied customer...we arrived about 2 hours prior to check in time, but the staff was able to find us a room quickly so we could get over to the historical area in time to enjoy some of the last events of the day. Our room didn't come with a refrigerator, but staff was able to place one in our room for us. We visited as part of a family wedding, and needed a late check out because of some event scheduling; our request was granted expediently with no extra charge. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family