If hotels are all about location, this would get better marks, but that isn't the case. You are a guest in someone's home, so if the management & staff don't go out of their way to make the trip worthwhile, why go back?
The best part of our hotel experience was the reservation process, which is amazing. One central number provides all you need to know, and the people are very helpful. This was the only hotel available for when we wanted to go, so we were a bit stuck.
Let's be honest, this is nothing more than an enormous glorified motel. There is no room service. There is no in-room mini-bar. There is no bar in the hotel, nor a lounge. There is no all-day restaurant. Yes, there are options in Colonial Williamsburg (pretty much only until 10pm, because that is when shuttle service stops) & the surrounding area, but sometimes you just want to unwind with a drink & not have to travel out of your hotel, especially if you've been walking around as a tourist all day.
The check-in people are nice and as helpful as they can be, as they are constrained by what the hotel can offer.
There aren't enough carts for the rooms in the hotel, so you have to be prepared to wait.
The "restaurant," which isn't one, is open for breakfast only, but the doors are open 24/7. You can get hot water for tea by the giant coffee machines in off-hours, as long as the staff isn't in there prepping the "continental breakfast."
Breakfast consists of pre-canned (i.e. not fresh or baked locally) muffins, sausage or bacon, eggs, rubbery pancakes, yogurt, some fruit, cereal -- all served on paper plates with plastic utensils.
We didn't have any hot water for any of the 3 mornings we were there. We called and complained each morning. It came on later on, but it was a nightmare. They told us they fixed the problem, which was throughout at least our area of the hotel on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but it wasn't the case. (Seriously, a sold-out hotel without hot water on a holiday weekend. You'd think they would have had that fixed in minutes, not hours...)
In the end, they took money off our bill, but we would have rather had hot showers each morning.
There is no mobile phone service, unless you have Verizon, and then it is only spotty. You won't get calls or texts in the hotel, but they'll all come when you get into Colonial Williamsburg. There is no rational reason for this inconvenience in this day & age.
Shower pressure: Awful for a 3-floor hotel.
Front desk: Helpful & kind.
Bed: Lumpy and below average. The pillows were horrible.
Sheets/Bedding: Below average.
Towels: Itsy bitsy teeny weeny & thin.
Phone service/attendants: Generally very helpful & sweet.
Room size: Average.
Location: Medium-to-long walk to Colonial Williamsburg, but there is a bus. Very long walk to Merchants Square, so tough if you want to stay out at night as shuttles stop at 10pm.
Room service: None.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Colonial Williamsburg Hotel, the Woodlands Hotel & Suites is located adjacent to the historic area and set amid landscaped grounds in a tranquil, park-like environment. The Visitors Center is short walk away and offers complimentary shuttle service around Colonial Williamsburg, tickets to programming and events, costume rental, multiple gift shops, and a cafe serving sandwiches, soups, snacks, and beverages. Hotel amenities include free Wi-Fi, a business center, fitness center, complimentary full breakfast, an outdoor heated family-style pool, free mini-golf, and a variety of summer family activities and games. The newest addition is a pirate ship themed Splash Pad complete with water cannons, double bucket water dump, ground sprays, a mini slide, and a wading pool for our youngest guests. Huzzah! BBQ Grille, a family-friendly, full-service restaurant is just steps away and is open 5pm - 9:30pm daily. (Tip: be sure to try the slow-cooked BBQ and let the kids make their own pizza!) Travel info: easy access to I-64; 20 minutes to Williamsburg/Newport News International airport; 5-6 minutes to Amtrak train station ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, TravelClick, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodlands Hotel And Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
- Woodlands Hotel Colonial Williamsburg