“Not a GOLD Crown RCI Resort--LOTS & LOTS of Ants! Very dirty unit”

Bluegreen Parkside Williamsburg, Ascend Resort Collection
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed in unit 4209 August 8-15. We were greeted by several ants. The granit kitchen counter tops were sticky & covered with food crumbs. The kitchen tile floor was dirty, & lots of ants too. WEas guests scrubbed the floors and washed the countertops. The oven & microwave were dirty too.

We had 5 non working light bulbs when we entered the unit--in the hallway, dining area, bathroom and kitchen. The unit was a 2 bedroom with a soft sleeper. We had enough towels for 4 people, even though the unit slept 6. Asked for more towels--resort laundry is contracted out--informed that resort did not receive their linen order. We were given 3 boxes of Tide and informed that we would have to wash our towels :(

The unit is nice sized. For only being a year old, the walls are very marked and dirty. The furniture was dirty and had stains. The trash and open garbage was left out on luggage carts and the end of the hallway. Trash was not picked up by the resort maintenance staff or placed in a dumpster. LOTS & LOTS of ants and bugs. The living room carpet had crayons, fingernails, and food crumbs. Nasty & gross! Was our unit cleaned prior to moving in?? We think not.

We had 2 bathrooms. The hall bathroom door did not lock. We received 1 roll of toilet paper for each bathroom for 1 week. The dishes were dirty. We put them in the dishwasher prior to our family using the dishes.

It's a great location with a nice size unit. Too bad the resort is lacking housekeeping and maintenance.

The pool is open as of 08/07/2009. The resort is still under construction. Lots of trains, but the noise did not bother us. The resort is close to to Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown. We even drove to Washington DC, about 2 hours away.

Restaurants --Olive Garden, Outback Steak House, Cracker Barrel, Golden Corral.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank grjacob
There are newer reviews for Bluegreen Parkside Williamsburg, Ascend Resort Collection

Reviewed August 16, 2009

When you make resv with a "crown resort" you expect something nice. This place was anything but. Their ad is a fraud, no pool available but they have been telling everyone that the inspector is coming tomorrow since May of 2008. No golf, No fishing pond, No nothing and a ground floor unit serves as the front office and they leave by 6PM. We payed more than $2300 and got ripped off. Put us into 2 seperate units when we paid for an attached 3 bedroom unit. On arrival the units were dirty. Dirty dishes in cupboard, dirty coffee pot and a dirty dishwasher. No pillow cases for the entire week. Blankets were only coverlets with no stuff inbetween. What a horrable experience and RCI should be ashamed to put their stamp on this place. Don't trying calling the Kees Management Co because they don't ever answer. Yes there is a train that runs in front of the building and it goes past all night long. I could go on and on but............................whats the point!!

2  Thank unhappy6
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We stayed at the Parkside for a week in July; occupied a 2 bdrm lockout. The lockout was 2 full 1 bdrm units. Each unit had a full kitchen, dining area, living room, washer & dryer, and bedroom. Living rooms had 42" plasma tv's with DVD player, and the bedrooms had 32" flat screen tv's with DVD player. The one bdrm premium actually had 2 bathrooms in the unit. The units are well equipped & clean and offer free wireless internet. As far as the resort is concerned, it is simply a condo building sitting by itself. No activities whatsoever, no resort feel whatsoever, and no other amenities whatsoever. They have a little water/pool area next to the under construction clubhouse. They have not passed the process for a permit as of yet, so everything they offer as far as an amentity -- you have to go to the sister "resort" (hotel). Anyway, the location was pretty convienent to Water Country and a hop, skip, and a jump from Busch Gardens. BG was actually right in front of Parkside. So, my review is ..... the units are nicely decorated and equipped, but if your seeking the resort type timeshare where you can enjoy a day on the property with a pool, restaurant, & other amentities - this is not the place. If you are simply seeking somewhere to lay your head at night while spending everyday offsite somewhere everyday - this will be fine. Maybe in about 2 years or so - this is fall into an actual "resort".

1  Thank TravelGuru1
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I stayed at this resort the week of July 27, I booked through their rental company which set the tone for my trip. Tory was extremely helpful and accomadating. I checked in a little after 4pm my room was clean, cool and ready. My kids wanted a balcony so we requested a 2nd or third floor room. This was done right away no questions asked. I called the front desk and they made the switch. The room was a nice size and clean.
The front desk was very honest about their pool situation and provided alternatives. Pool or no pool this was a great stay everyone had their own space and it was like home away from home. We had a washer&dryer, dishwasher and silverware in the unit. Busch gardens and other attractions are close. Will definately stay again, very soon. Try this resort for yourself .

Reviewed August 5, 2009

Please do not make any reservations with this resort. They are horrible. It's all prepaid before you go. I called with in the stated time 14 days prior.They were going to charge me the entire amount even if i wasn't going. They refused to cancel my resevation, the do not answer emails. BEWARE

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank CTant
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Ahh, where to begin? We checked in on a Sunday afternoon. Upon checking in they informed us that the pool wasn't done and neither was the playground. Keep in mind that we were staying at the end of July--a month into summer already. This is supposed to be a RCI Gold Crown Resort. It was supposed to have a pool, playground, lazy river, game room, fishing pond--the works. It had no ammenities. NONE. Not one. Only had a room for us. We get to the room and it was filthy! A layer of dust covered everything...the bathrooms were filthy-- bathtubs were dirty, the bathroom floors were dirty...I found a pill on the bathroom floor! The shower curtain liner had mold and mildew on the bottom of it. The stove top was dirty. The coffee maker hadn't been cleaned out. There were no extra pillowcases for the extra pillows. There was no blanket for the pullout bed. There were no handtowels or washcloths. No extra blankets. Need I go on? The very next morning, I called Disney (I booked it through my Disney Vacation Club points) and they got in touch with RCI (the people who own the timeshare) and they switched us to a wonderful Wyndam resort. I would never stay here again. OH, and there's a train, literally across the street, that comes by every two hours and toots its horn.

2  Thank isos24
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I took 5 teenagers to stay one night in a 2BR unit rated for 6 people. The purpose of our stay was to visit Busch Gardens for the day. The unit itself was attractively furnished but quite small - no extra space whatsoever. The grounds very much have an "under construction" appearance with construction equipment, dumpsters, etc. - this bothered me a lot more than I thought it would. The view from the windows is just mud and concrete, and the resort is really situated alongside a highway with no vegetation to give it any inviting feel at all.
The place is somewhat hard to find since the signage is not up and the address confounded both google and a new tom-tom gps. It is located within view of the busch gardens coasters, but getting there is a little more difficult. There is a nearby train that does run in the night and even though I am a heavy sleeper, it did awaken me in the wee hours.
There were no amenities available yet - the pool looked ready to use, but had not been signed off, so there was no pool on site. The Patrick Henry pool that they sent us as an alternative was a long way and looked more like an icky 2-star hotel pool, so we did not go in.
The check-indesk was in one of the hotel units, and there were 2 check-in people on site when I arrived in the afternoon. They seemed like they were genuinely trying to help, but there was not much they could do about the pool situation (except perhaps give us more realistic expectations about the alternative pool so we would not have bothered). Others arriving at the same time were horrified that they had booked a large family group to stay there for a week.
The housekeeping was abominable. My unit had 2 BRs with a Q in each, and a pull-out sofabed. One of the beds was made with a bottom sheet only, no top sheet - just the blanket. And none of the pillows in the entire unit had any pillowcases - the beds were made with the decorative pillows with shams. The closets had plenty of pillows, but there was not a single pillowcase in the unit. Also there was no coffeemaker and no hairdryer. There were only 4 towel sets in the 2BR unit which was rated for occupancy of 6, and there were not enough seats at the table for six, either. Additionally, my room key did not work since I had checked in 15 minutes prior to the 4pm check-in time. After having read other reviews and realized that there may not be anyone on site in the evening to resolve housekeeping issues, I did try to inspect the unit to make sure we had what we needed, and after several calls and trips downstairs, I had most of what we needed for the night - a key that worked, a coffeemaker, pillow cases, enough towels. (I did not notice the missing hairdryer until I actually needed it in the morning). All that hassle does not exactly make for a relaxing or welcoming atmosphere.
I knew we'd be cramped with 6 adults in a 6-person unit, but I thought we'd be OK for one night. We did manage OK, but the quarters were much more cramped than I had anticipated, and considering the small quarters along with the total lack of any pleasant outdoor views or amenities, I would have been very unhappy to stay more than one night. There is not any reason to stay onsite unless you just enjoy watching TV in your condo.
One of the teens who slept in the master said the bed was hard, but I slept fine on the bed in the 2nd br. All in all, I think there are much better places to stay in Williamsburg. I had selected this as an RCI "gold crown" resort, but was very disappointed with the poor appearance and lack of amenities and professionalism overall.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family