“Awesome stay, no complaints”

Bluegreen Parkside Williamsburg, Ascend Resort Collection
USA
“Awesome stay, no complaints”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I stayed at this resort the week of July 27, I booked through their rental company which set the tone for my trip. Tory was extremely helpful and accomadating. I checked in a little after 4pm my room was clean, cool and ready. My kids wanted a balcony so we requested a 2nd or third floor room. This was done right away no questions asked. I called the front desk and they made the switch. The room was a nice size and clean.
The front desk was very honest about their pool situation and provided alternatives. Pool or no pool this was a great stay everyone had their own space and it was like home away from home. We had a washer&dryer, dishwasher and silverware in the unit. Busch gardens and other attractions are close. Will definately stay again, very soon. Try this resort for yourself .

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
connecticut
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Please do not make any reservations with this resort. They are horrible. It's all prepaid before you go. I called with in the stated time 14 days prior.They were going to charge me the entire amount even if i wasn't going. They refused to cancel my resevation, the do not answer emails. BEWARE

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank CTant
isos24
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Ahh, where to begin? We checked in on a Sunday afternoon. Upon checking in they informed us that the pool wasn't done and neither was the playground. Keep in mind that we were staying at the end of July--a month into summer already. This is supposed to be a RCI Gold Crown Resort. It was supposed to have a pool, playground, lazy river, game room, fishing pond--the works. It had no ammenities. NONE. Not one. Only had a room for us. We get to the room and it was filthy! A layer of dust covered everything...the bathrooms were filthy-- bathtubs were dirty, the bathroom floors were dirty...I found a pill on the bathroom floor! The shower curtain liner had mold and mildew on the bottom of it. The stove top was dirty. The coffee maker hadn't been cleaned out. There were no extra pillowcases for the extra pillows. There was no blanket for the pullout bed. There were no handtowels or washcloths. No extra blankets. Need I go on? The very next morning, I called Disney (I booked it through my Disney Vacation Club points) and they got in touch with RCI (the people who own the timeshare) and they switched us to a wonderful Wyndam resort. I would never stay here again. OH, and there's a train, literally across the street, that comes by every two hours and toots its horn.

2 Thank isos24
Raleigh
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I took 5 teenagers to stay one night in a 2BR unit rated for 6 people. The purpose of our stay was to visit Busch Gardens for the day. The unit itself was attractively furnished but quite small - no extra space whatsoever. The grounds very much have an "under construction" appearance with construction equipment, dumpsters, etc. - this bothered me a lot more than I thought it would. The view from the windows is just mud and concrete, and the resort is really situated alongside a highway with no vegetation to give it any inviting feel at all.
The place is somewhat hard to find since the signage is not up and the address confounded both google and a new tom-tom gps. It is located within view of the busch gardens coasters, but getting there is a little more difficult. There is a nearby train that does run in the night and even though I am a heavy sleeper, it did awaken me in the wee hours.
There were no amenities available yet - the pool looked ready to use, but had not been signed off, so there was no pool on site. The Patrick Henry pool that they sent us as an alternative was a long way and looked more like an icky 2-star hotel pool, so we did not go in.
The check-indesk was in one of the hotel units, and there were 2 check-in people on site when I arrived in the afternoon. They seemed like they were genuinely trying to help, but there was not much they could do about the pool situation (except perhaps give us more realistic expectations about the alternative pool so we would not have bothered). Others arriving at the same time were horrified that they had booked a large family group to stay there for a week.
The housekeeping was abominable. My unit had 2 BRs with a Q in each, and a pull-out sofabed. One of the beds was made with a bottom sheet only, no top sheet - just the blanket. And none of the pillows in the entire unit had any pillowcases - the beds were made with the decorative pillows with shams. The closets had plenty of pillows, but there was not a single pillowcase in the unit. Also there was no coffeemaker and no hairdryer. There were only 4 towel sets in the 2BR unit which was rated for occupancy of 6, and there were not enough seats at the table for six, either. Additionally, my room key did not work since I had checked in 15 minutes prior to the 4pm check-in time. After having read other reviews and realized that there may not be anyone on site in the evening to resolve housekeeping issues, I did try to inspect the unit to make sure we had what we needed, and after several calls and trips downstairs, I had most of what we needed for the night - a key that worked, a coffeemaker, pillow cases, enough towels. (I did not notice the missing hairdryer until I actually needed it in the morning). All that hassle does not exactly make for a relaxing or welcoming atmosphere.
I knew we'd be cramped with 6 adults in a 6-person unit, but I thought we'd be OK for one night. We did manage OK, but the quarters were much more cramped than I had anticipated, and considering the small quarters along with the total lack of any pleasant outdoor views or amenities, I would have been very unhappy to stay more than one night. There is not any reason to stay onsite unless you just enjoy watching TV in your condo.
One of the teens who slept in the master said the bed was hard, but I slept fine on the bed in the 2nd br. All in all, I think there are much better places to stay in Williamsburg. I had selected this as an RCI "gold crown" resort, but was very disappointed with the poor appearance and lack of amenities and professionalism overall.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Johnstown, NY
Reviewed July 17, 2009

The pool was out of service for the entire stay. Each day, the very difficult to find staff would explain that "the health inspector was supposed to come today, he will be here tomorrow." They advertise that they have access to a "brand new" golf course. The golf course was under construction and not in operation. So much for truth in advertising. The grounds themselves were undergoing a great deal of construction, as a result, there was a trailer sized dumpster occupying a common ground, and construction debris scattered around. Very shabby. The room itself (If you didn't look out the window to gaze upon the dumpster and debris) was not hideous, however we had no blankets, and it took two days of asking to get some. The dried toothpaste in our sink when we arrived was a nice touch, I must confess.

Extremely disappointing, and misrepresents their amenities. They are close to Busch Gardens, but that's the only positive thing I can say. Would not recommend to a friend (or enemy).

Maryland
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I was a little hesitant to stay here because it is still brand new and nothing really has been completed in regards to a check-in desk or anything like that. But me and family really loved out stay. We had absolutely everything we needed in the hotel, including extra blankets, towels, pillows, pillowcases and so forth. The kitchen was really fully stocked. Everything we needed we found. The pool was filled as we were leaving so the kids weren't able to go to the pool, but we wore them out at Busch Gardens. The train is kind of loud in your bedroom is in the front of the building, but if its in the back you can't hear it. The staff was very helpful when they were there and were very friendly. You are literally 2 minutes from Busch Gardens and 10 minutes from Historic Williamsburg. There aren't any stores at walking distance, but the stores are only about 1 mile away. The room was very clean and BIG. With two small children, you need space for them to run around. I didn't want to leave. With the pool now open, I can't wait to go back in August. I see that some people have a lot of negatives, but there are negative reviews about the Ritz Carlton, and that's a $1000.00 dollar a night hotel. So you can't please everyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank lucita424
Richmond, VA
Reviewed May 23, 2009

When checking in there was no one in the office, no sign to say anyone wasn't there, nothing. I had to wait at least 5 minutes for the young woman to come back, and she didn't even apologize. Upon entering the condo, we were initially very happy at first glance. It was bright, large and nicely decorated. Then we realized that the beds only contained a sheet and an extremely light polyester throw/bedcover, no blankets. The towels were rough as well and there were no pillowcases. One of the pillows had a dark stain on it. We requested pillowcases and asked if there were any other types of blankets available and the young woman informed me that there were not. The bathrooms were very dirty. We found hairs in both bathroom tubs/showers. Around the base and behind the toilets were very dirty as well. They looked like they hadn't been touched in months, as they were very dusty and dirty. The refrigerator was dirty inside as well. The coffeepot contained a sample of coffee, but there were no filters to brew a pot. As another reviewer had written, the train tracks were very close and the train whistle was very loud. I was annoyed to see how close the tracks were to the hotel. To top it off, the air conditioner was broken which made for a very hot night, especially for our children which included an infant. The management and housekeeping needs much improvement. I don't understand how this place could be called a "resort", as it's merely a grouping of condos with a pool that is yet to be opened.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family