“Not Your Ordinary Lodge”

Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My family has been coming to Williamsburg for years. We usually stay at The Inn which always lives up to its reputation. This year we booked late and were not able to get a room at The Inn. Therefore, we booked at The Lodge. We had read all the prior reviews which quite honestly made us a bit reluctant, especially since we had so many good experiences at The Inn. All we can say is.....the other reviews are bunk. We had a very nice room that was spacious (two queen beds), very nicely appointed and very comfortable (for us and our daughter and her friend). The bathroom was also a very generous size and the room had its own Keurig coffee maker in it.

The Lodge provides one with all the benefits of The Inn --- first rate fitness center and spa (best steam room ever), fantastic indoor and outdoor pool, close walking distance to Merchant's Square and all the great restaurants in both the Inn and The Lodge. As an added bonus, The Lodge also had live music on Saturday night which was a special treat.

The service was also very good and that includes check-in to restaurant and room service. I travel for work almost every week and typically stay at very nice hotels. The Lodge is better than most that I stay in for business and has old world charm with modern comfort and convenience. We will not hesitate to book a room here again for our next visit --- it was a pleasant surprise, especially when compared to The Inn. The difference between the two is really the room size and the price. If you want to go to a great hotel in Williamsburg the Inn and The Lodge are the place to stay. If you want to have all the amenities of The Inn without the added expense then book The Lodge --- you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in The Custis wing.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shev61

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I guess you could say I had unmet expectations and that is why I've given it a three. When I made the reservation, the nice lady I spoke with told me she was putting me in a room with a porch and chairs to sit outside and enjoy the outdoors. Perfect.

Only when we arrived, we were put in the Tyler Guest House, a small room with two queen beds. I supposed that my kind lady had mistaken the Inns, since she took reservations for several. But on my last day I walked past the rooms she spoke of and I was truly disappointed.

Why am I writing this? If you are promised one thing and find you got something different, then speak up. I'm learning this the hard way. Our trip would have been so much nicer in the room I had been originally promised.

The room is very clean, however. The beds are very firm. The furniture only consists of a firm high-back leather chair and a sort of colonial "directors" chair at the desk. It isn't an inviting room to relax and chat. I'm not sure about the others. From the pictures I looked at on their website, ours looks NOTHING like those. And we are paying premium price. No discounts or special rates.

Also, if you wind up in one of these guest houses, be sure and tell them that you do not want anywhere close to the door where people go in and out of the building. Fortunately we are far from those doors, but I feel sorry for whomever is in the rooms by the exit because the noise made by the door closing.

It is nice being so close to Colonial Williamsburg. Just be sure when you book here that you tell them what you want and make sure you have it before unpacking.

1  Thank LCLowe
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Reading some of the downbeat reviews, I'm amazed.
I can only assume that these are written by people who have a "glass half empty" view of life.
Hotels have a rolling plan of refurbs and you sometimes hit them when a bit of carpet is ready to be replaced - providing it isn't a huge area of the place - does it really spoil the experience?
Here's my view.
A warm and friendly welcome, nice property, lovely (standard) room, decent restaurant with attentive and pleasant staff and a stones throw from the Colonial Village - what's at fault here?
Answer - nothing.
I would stay here again without any hesitation.
A terrific 3 day stay in a top hotel.

2  Thank ustraveller11
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Lodge is just ok. Location is perfect if you want to be in Williamsburg, but the Lodge is older and needs some updating. The lodge is really several buildings (or 'guesthouses'). We were not near the main building, so had to walk or drive for food - ok since we had good weather, but would not have been so had it been raining! We were surprised that both beds had sheets with holes in them, and then found that the sheets were very scratchy. Beds and pillows were good, room was fairly clean, but bathroom looked tired. Toilet was a bit tilted, shower a bit mildewy. Keurig was nice, but not much of a selection for non-coffee drinkers. Room service prices were same as hotel restaurant, but service was rather slow. Room was on the first floor and it was either dark curtains or old fashioned vinyl roll-down shade, so no light in the room unless you wanted everyone walking by to look in. Sheers would be nice. Off season room was $212 for a night, and I think that was a special for an event I was attending. All and all, it was nothing real special.

Room Tip: Get second or third floor. Did not try it, but the Spa is included and looked lovely. Plan time for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SJH226
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We always stay here in Williamsburg because of the great location - right in the historic district and easy walk to Merchant's Square.
This time our room was in the South Guest House which we did not like at all. First of all, it needs an upgrade in the hallway
carpets. The rooms have a tiny bathroom with a very small sink. There is no carpeting on the floors and you can hear every footstep and movement from the floor above you. The people above us came in at 2:15 AM and we heard every move they made (every). From the looks of this building, it must have been the original guest area of the hotel.
I was told we had selected one queen bed and this is the section for that. Next time I will select 2 queens as those rooms are in a new building- where we stayed before and it was lovely. When I made my reservation, I didn't see an offering for King or maybe they were sold out.
I also did not find the front desk staff as friendly and nice as other visits.
The breakfast buffet was very good! There is not a huge selection of pastries or breads but the hot foods are very good.
I will continue to stay here but will make sure I stay in a different section.

4  Thank Missshopper
Reviewed September 10, 2013

From start to finish excellent experience with the, courteous, friendly, attentive staff including the restaurant. Location was perfect short walk to the historic area and the bus stop. Would definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at the Williamsburg Lodge over July 4th and had a fantastic time. There were plenty of holiday festivities to interests adults and kids alike, and you can't beat the location. The Lodge is ideal for families, and there were a lot of kids there. The room was comfortably appointed with a spacious bathroom. We appreciated the coffee/tea maker, although they never left enough tea despite asking. As it was hot, we spent plenty of time at the pool. Do not order food and drinks there. It took over an hour to get them! The buffet is good for meals, especially with kids. Again, don't count on great service there. The servers did not seem interested to serve or to clear tables. A table next to us was dirty for our entire meal and getting additional drinks or cutlery was impossibly slow. Also, the bars at all the Colonial Williamsburg hotels closed early. My husband and his friend wanted to discuss business one night, but there was no place open around the complex. Housekeeping was fine for regular things, but the roll away bed we requested during reservations and again at check-in didn't come until 10:30 at night after many calls to housekeeping.

Overall, we liked the Lodge and would return. With a bit of attention to some service issues it would be great!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family