“Renovation done right; 4th trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg

Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #10 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Renovation done right; 4th trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

22 years ago we honeymooned at the lodge during Christmas -- back this week for some old fashioned merry merry with the kids - returned two times in between. Every time we've loved the cozy warm atmosphere of the Lodge. Last stay was during renovations in 2007? 2008? I was worried about what the change would turn out to be...but they did a spectacular job. Gorgeous mix of Folk art and colonial decor done perfectly. Much larger lobby area with many different areas to sit comfortably in leather chairs, the bar has the original fireplace (yay because my husband and I sat in front of it 22 years ago and stole kisses), the driveway is far easier to maneuver, front staff were helpful (they need some queueing instruction signs because people were hidden behind the pillars and other people would cut in line because they didn't see them.) We are staying in the new Nicholas Wing (or building); best location IMHO a block or two near Gloucester Street activities; rooms are lovely and spacious, nicely decorated, enough outlets, bathrooms large and nicely done, Keurig coffee maker with choice of four coffee pods. The only issue I have with the lodge is that there are a number staff chatting and chatting and chatting early in the morning while I was sitting in the lobby at 6am reading the paper and enjoying my Keurig coffee. The Christmas music was playing and had to listen to talk of an upcoming operationfor 30+ minutes; the next morning more chatting. Another person in the sitting area was also annoyed. But if that's my only complaint...then I'm being picky. Bottom line: our favorite place to vacation is on the Big Island with the Williamsburg Lodge a very close second.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank saltkettle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
arlington, va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Can't beat the location, the main entrance and hallways are beautiful, especially decorate for christmas.

The rooms were so so, older, and walls were made up tissue paper. I actually heard my neighbors electric razor. You can hear the creaking of the old wood and the ceiling above. Very Very annoying.

Besides that, great time.

Room Tip: Choose top floor, or will be hearing ceiling creaking off the neighbors above.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at the Williamsburg Lodge for a long weekend and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Our room was spacious, clean, and lovely. The bed, as other reviewers mentioned, was high, but for us, this was a fun novelty. The bathroom, while small, was fine. We used the concierge services for new passes to Colonial Williamsburg, which are discounted when purchased through the hotel, and for several reservations for dining and attractions. The concierge could not have been more pleasant and helpful, as was everyone we came across who worked for the Lodge. We ate breakfast everyday of our stay in their restaurant, Traditions, and it was perfect each morning. The Lodge offers its own shuttle, and we used this when we had a late evening dinner reservation. From the Williamsburg Lodge one can walk everywhere in CW. The one slight negative was that the Lodge seems to be showing some wear and tear - very slight things like hallway carpet that is beginning to fray and the leg on our bathroom sink that was at an odd angle. I mention these only for "full disclosure", but I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I stay at the Williamsburg Lodge each year for the Grand Illumination. It is something we look forward to each year and plan for in April. It is the best weekend ever. You park your car and never have to leave until your visit is over. The service is out of this world. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The food for the Seafood Buffet is the very best on the Friday Night before .
We always purchase yearly passes for Colonial Williamsburg. This year we forgot to pack our passes. No worry, the Lodge ticket agent handled it ......we were re-issued our last year passes for $5 a piece. It was great. I needed a stamp .....no worry,the Gift store sells stamps....... the front desk took care of the rest. The lounge is another pleasure with the wood burning fireplace and the friendly atmoshere. It does not get any better than the Williamsburg Lodge.

Room Tip: All rooms are great...but we prefer the corner rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My family and I have been coming to Colonial Williamsburg since I was 12 years old - trust me a long time ago. When I was growing up, we always stayed at the Lodge. It was a great mid priced, option very close to the historic area. They did a major renovation several years ago and we were anxious to try it out. I need to include as background that when I travel with my mother along, she is in a wheelchair for distances and a walker to get around generally. Two years ago we had a reservation at the Lodge but couldn't stay - had to switch because of how high the beds are. Since then, the two or three trips a year we take there, we usually stay at the Williamsburg Inn. This past weekend - their special kickoff to Christmas, the Illuminations Celebration was going on so we couldn't get rooms there. We decided to go with the Lodge, hoping that they had fixed the beds - no luck. When I say they are high, I mean really high off the floor. Even the best of us might need a stool to get on to them. We managed, but it was a real hassle. They brought two different stools to help. Both were those plastic things you buy in the hardware store to use in a workshop. One was about 12 by 10 inches, and folded up. The other was two steps, but the lower step was small and not too stable. My mother ended up sleeping on the pull out sofa (we were in a suite). Every time I commented on this - both in the past (during previous reservation activities) or during this trip, the staff took a "sorry we know its a problem, but that's the way it is" tone. They were nice and pleasant, but they REALLY need to fix this. I'm told there are NO handicap rooms in the lodge - at least none with regular size heights to the beds. It's really pretty amazing. I decided to say something on TripAdvisor because CW needs to take care of this problem. Thank heavens we can afford to stay at the Inn. But at times we'd like the option to stay elsewhere.

One other thing I ran into was that the gentlemen at the front (bellman, etc) probably need more people. They seem to have to park cars, do the bags, etc - multitask in other words. At least two or three times we waited up to 10 minutes for someone to show up to get our car (we did valet). They were always VERY helpful, pleasant and remembered us. And perhaps it was because of the busy weekend.

One other interesting thing I found related to staffing issues was the availability of the concierge. Sunday morning we wanted to get tickets for a tour and discovered the concierge wasn't available until 9 AM - when some of the tours started at 9:15. The person at the front desk was very nice, but couldn't help us. I suggested that we call the 800 number and discovered they aren't around until 9 either. I walked away - frustrated when I remembered that the Inn's concierge is around earlier. The young woman at the front desk talked with that person and voila! we had tickets and even though I offered to go over to pick them up - their bellman walked over with them. Many thanks and kudos to the Williamsburg Inn.

The people working at the Lodge (and everywhere else we visited this past weekend were lovely, and always willing to be helpful. We love staying at CW and look forward to our next visit. But please, please fix those beds at the Lodge I am certain I'm not the only person who has spoken of this problem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Williamsburg Lodge over Thanksgiving. The hotel could not be better located. It is just across the street from Colonial Williamsburg, which means you can just walk up to all the attractions and main stores and restaurants of Williamsburg. The staff was super friendly and helpful, despite the fact that it was a busy holiday weekend and reduced staff. The hotel in itself is very clean and with a colonial but updated decoration. Overall a very nice experience.

• Stayed November 2012
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Good prices very nice King Room Quite, only able to see the tv from the bed, bed was very high. stayed in the annex, still nice good bar and friendly staff excellent buffet breakfast 1 block from the center of CWB also had user friendly shuttle, used it to drop off and pick up at Market Square drop off and pick up very reliable. Little tip did not hurt

Room Tip: stayed in 4079 Quite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple