“Great place for unwinding in Williamsburg”

Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My family spent one night at the Williamsburg Lodge as a part of a brief getaway. We wish we could have stayed longer. Our room was in Nicholas House, opposite the main entrance. It was large, clean, well-furnished, and inviting to hang around in. We did not use the on-site restaurant, but we did use the pool across the street - my daughter loved it. The entire place calls out for you to relax, slow down, and unwind a little. I liked that. And since I couldn't unwind fully, I appreciated having fast-and-reliable free wifi. The bed was very comfortable indeed - I really wanted to sleep in it much longer than I did, but the family wanted to get up and work on a scavenger hunt that we got with our Colonial Williamsburg admission tickets. The Lodge is just steps from the central historic area, making it easy to come and go to different sights and activities. It's about 5 minutes walk to Market Square, at the end of the main historic street (Duke of Gloucester St), where there are various non-colonial eateries (just be prepared: nothing in Williamsburg is cheap). I considered staying at one of the less expensive chain hotels on the edge of town, but we decided that we should "do it right", and we're glad that we did.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Williamsburg Lodge, Autograph Collection

Reviewed March 31, 2012

The best thing about the Lodge is its proximity to Colonial Williamsburg. It's an easy walk from the Lodge to any part of the Colonial Williamsburg area. (It's only a few blocks to Francis Street and Duke of Gloucester Street, about a mile to the Capital, and less than a mile to the Palace Green and Governor's palace.) The Lodge is also convenient to William & Mary and a number of restaurants, and they have a hotel shuttle that will take you to nearby restaurants. It's a good place for a conference because there is a lot that the non-conference-attending spouses and children can do nearby.

The Lodge is a fairly nice hotel, but nothing special and certainly not what I would call luxurious -- at least not our room. We stayed in a two-queen room in the Tazewell. The bathroom/closet area was rather cramped and poorly designed with closet doors that blocked the bathroom entrance. I assume the walls are fairly thin because we could clearly hear people talking in the hallway and adjacent rooms. Large sliding glass windows opened to a balcony, however the balcony looked out over a courtyard that was mostly brick pavers with a few small trees -- not exactly a view. There was a parking deck under the building where we stayed, but there's surface parking for some of the other buildings. The different buildings are connected by covered walkways.

It's easy to get lost in the Lodge because it's large and the layout is a bit confusing. The decor in the common areas is quite nice, and perhaps this is the one area in which the Lodge stands out. In part of the lobby/common area, there is a short table covered with paper for children to color, which we thought was a nice touch. The Spa is across the street and looks nice from the outside, but we didn't try it out.

Even at a discounted rate due to my conference, the room seemed a bit overpriced, but possibly everything is overpriced in Williamsburg. If you want soft drinks or water, bring your own because the drink machines at the Lodge charge $2.75(!) for a regular sized bottle of coke. We heard that the bar at the Lodge is also overpriced, but if you don't mind loud college bars, there are a couple nearby (Paul's, Green Leafe, Hospitality House). You can take the hotel shuttle or a cab (and it's only about a $5.00 cab ride).

Although the name "Lodge" evokes images of large, old, and rather rustic accommodations, that's not accurate. The Lodge is a modern brick building with nothing really "Colonial" about it except the decor in the common areas.

Because the Lodge does not allow dogs, we will likely not go back to stay, unless it's for a conference I have to attend for work.

Room Tip: Upper floors are probably quieter.
1  Thank Labnut
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I spent a few nights at the Williamsburg Lodge as part of a conference. The conference facilities were above average, conference rooms having lots of space and facilities close by. I was disappointed by the quality of the hotel block I stayed in. The main problem was that walls are very very thin, you can hear people talking in the next room. I was happy to be on the top floor because every step I made the floorboards creaked loudly. I felt the accommodation was average. Rooms were not the cleanest, there was litter left on the floor of my room from the time I arrived until the time I left (3 days later). Water pressure in the shower was very low so you had to spend twice as long as usual in the shower. The staff were friendly when I asked any questions and the common areas of the hotel were well kept. Had lunch in the restaurant and that was excellent, but at a 4 star price. I also used the swimming pool which was fine if there were no more than 3 people swimming. I would consider this an average place to stay, if you are visiting Williamsburg for one or two nights then it's convenient to be able to walk everywhere from the hotel. If you are a light sleeper - bring your ear plugs!

Room Tip: Highest floor you are not going to hear steps above you. Unfortunately walls in the room are so thi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freqworld_traveller
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying here for four nights to attend a conference. The room we had was clean and nicely decorated, the bathroom was huge. It was nice to have an in-room safe to use. It was a great experience to stay here, comfortable beds, quiet, and very attentive service by the desk staff. Proximity to the Historic Area was fabulous. Hopefully we'll have a chance to stay here again.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Clean room and grounds, friendly staff, large room, attention to detail, good value - do I need to say more? This is a good place to stay if you are visting Colonial Williamsburg. We also like that they are on the grounds of Colonial Williamsburg. I was very impressed with the fitness center. It is top notch with lots of machines - all Nautilus. We also enjoyed the spa too. We would absolutely stay there again if we pay another visit to Colonial Williamsburg.

Room Tip: Book ahead of your visit for spa treatments.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Arrived late after a long tedious drive, the staff was very welcoming, hotel absolutely beautiful, grounds are meticulously maintained and my only regret is that I didn't have more time to spend here! Grabbed a late night bite in the lounge and the staff was attentive and food delicious. Heartily recommend this "hotel" which I hesitate to call it because you feel more like you are staying in a beautiful colonial home than a hotel. Perfect Williamsburg location.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We attended a conference here in March and we were very impressed. From the gentleman who opened the door for you to the front desk personel, food and beverage and everyone else we came in contact with, each person was helpful, friendly and knowledgable. We ate in the restaurant and had a very nice meal one night. Even the banquet food at the conference was great. Our room was spacious and had all the amenities we needed. Love the kuerig coffee maker in the room. We had an issue with the toilet and they fixed it immediately. We did have to walk outside to the main building each day and the weather was rainy and cold. There are covered walkways, but in the winter it might be nice if they were enclosed. But overall, it was a great experience that we highly recommend and would definitly go back to!