“Enjoyed the golf & the spa. Room walls a little thin.”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Westchester County, New York
“Enjoyed the golf & the spa. Room walls a little thin.”
Reviewed April 29, 2006

My husband and I visited Kingsmill between April 23 and April 28. There are 3 excellent golf courses on site. My two favorites were "The Woods" Course which has no homes on the course and the "River Course" which is the home to the LPGA Michelob Open in May.

I highly recommend the "Links and Luxury" package which included spa treatments as part of the package as well as golf. The spa was very nice with wonderful therapists - highly recommend Carol for massage. Also highly recommend the European Facial.

The rooms (we stayed in a standard king room with view of the 9th hole on the River Course) were nicely appointed with wonderful bedding. The one complaint about the rooms are the paper thin walls. You can easily hear conversations with your neighboring rooms.

Would recommend sampling restaurants off the property too. The Eagles (by the golf) was excellent for breakfast but not great for dinner. Overpriced for what you got. The nearby "Whaling Company" was a much better bargain, service and taste.

We spent 3 days playing golf and one day visiting the incredible historic offerings within a few miles including Jamestown, Yorktown and Colonial Williamsburg.

Would return again - overall a great time.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank Happy_TravelersNY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Thai first
Virginia Beach,VA
Reviewed April 26, 2006

I wanted to write to give couples traveling without children a heads up. This place seems more geared for families with children. My husband and I planned a getaway here without the kids and were diappointed to see children and double strollers everywhere, not to mention the fact that we had a family staying above our room, and had to be awakened to the opening and closing of sliding glass doors in late evening and early morning(6:00a.m). This defeated our purpose of getting away for some peace and quiet and being able to sleep in. I even told the guy, with whom I made reservations with weeks in advance, that we would be getting away from the kids. In my trip to the spa for a massage appointment, there were even children throughout the changing area/ showers/ steam rooms. I do not recommend this place if you want a quiet relaxing get away from children.

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank vbn8tive
Richmond, Va
Reviewed March 20, 2006

My wife and I spent the past weekend at Kingsmill. This was our first time to the resort. We booked the "Links and Luxuary" package. This allows each guest one night stay and either a spa treatment or a round of golf. Upon arrival we were upgraded by the very nice lady at the front desk. We had booked a golf course room and were upgraded to a river view room.

The room was very clean a very comfortable. It had a good view of the James river. The bedding was very soft and many pillows. Wireless internet access was also very useful. The bathroom was well stocked with all the essentials as well as other items not usually included in most hotel rooms. My wife and I were very happy with our room.

I played golf at the River course and the Woods course. The final three holes on the River are awsome and very difficult. That made the round. The course was in pretty good shape for March. I was a little dissapointed with the River course overall. I thought the Woods course was better (no 80's looking condos lining the fairways). The Woods course had some really good holes (9 and 18) overall the course conditions were better than the River.

I can't speak to how nice the spa was but the wife loved it. She had the Mother-to-be massage and a facial and she was very impressed. She spent almost the entire day at the spa on Sunday with these two treatments. Used the showers, the relaxation room, the pool and everyone was wonderful.

All in all we would go back. However, we would go back during a warmer time of the year. I hate playing a course in sub-par conditions and I know that the conditions would have been much better in the Spring,Summer, or Fall. The location to Busch Gardens and Water Country make it perfect for a family summer getaway. By the way we didn't eat at the resort. We chose to eat one night at the Whaling Company just north of the resort entrance. The food is alway excellent. This was our third time to dine there and we always leave happy.

I have always read the reviews and finally I decided I would contribute. Hopefully this will help.

• Stayed March 2006
10 Thank ewing384
virginia beach
Reviewed March 19, 2006

Ack! This place isn't like a hotel one bit... more like condo's every where. The property is 129acres so good luck finding your little villa in a sea of them... and once your find them try getting back to the club house in the middle of the night.... when we left to go to the movies we came back and asked the gaurd at the gate how to get to the resturant on site.... he had no clue... that makes me feel really safe he dosen't know the property. God forbid something happen he wouldn't know how to get there..ha! Then the spa and salon were book for my entire stay... so there went the whole idea of going to the spa and the resort was so dead how can they handle it in the summer? good luck. We went to Eagles for dinner we walked in and the host asked if we had reservations... we said no... he look at his seating chart and said I am not sure if I have space.... I looked at my husband and said you must be kidding me there is no one in the resturant but a couple of tables... they were under staffed so even thoe they could seat me they had no one to serve us. Dinner was good tasting but we asked the server for no sauce on my husbands filet and sure enough it did... she just laughed it off...comming back 5min later w/ a new steak... meaning they washed the sauce off and put it back on the grill... I expected them to get it right when the steak is $37.00 ... we had a lower level room... very loud with a toddler running back and fourth above us. How romantic right.. One thing I did like was the bedding.... very nice... it saved our stay but I don't ever plan on going back. Hope you enjoy your stay better than we did... Bush Gardens is very close to the hotel which is a perk but if you are paying that much you dont want to waste your time at bush gardens all day...

Stayed March 2006
5 Thank themizmom
CT
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Kingsmill Resort and Spa made for a most memorable birthday for my husband and family. Upon checkin I requested a suite near the river. We stayed in Anderson's Ordinary ( 2 bedroom suite) The bedrooms had plush down comforters, duvets, lots of pillows, gigantic shower with an adjustable lower shower head great for smaller children! Full Kitchen was stocked with appropriate glassware, pots, pans which was so helpful when preparing a special meal. The patios offered exceptional views of the marina and James River. The service was unparalleled! I call from the front desk offered to send someone to light our fireplace and also sent a special box of chocolates and card for my husband's birthday. On par with the Charles Hotel in Cambridge, MA.

I can only imagine what it must be like in the warmer months!!

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank Newenglandhome
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed January 1, 2006

We stayed at the Kingsmill Resort on New Year's Eve with our two children. We reserved a two bedroom suite which included two large bedrooms, a living room, a little deck overlooking the golf course and a kitchen. It was immaculate and lovely. The best part were the beds. The children's room had two full size beds, our room had a queen. The beds had luxurious linens, duvets and lots of pillows. The bathrooms had been recently remodeled and were beautiful. We pulled all the curtains, the rooms were like tombs, and we slept until 9:30 a.m. -- a record for all of us. I would go back there just to get a really, really great night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2005
11 Thank Mom45
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 5, 2005

I have stayed in many upscale hotels and found this on par with the rest. I found the room to be clean with good daily service. All of the staff was helpful and courteous. Only ate at regattas and found the food to be fine. Dijon mustard salmon was great! Was too cold to play golf but sure would have liked to. The area was very pretty. Our room had a king bed, desk, nightstands, and chair. Bath was nice and all was in good shape. The walls are thin as noted on this site. Generally quiet but could hear a cell phone conversation without problem. So watch out you two. You know who I'm talking about.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business