“Excellent family resort close to all major attractions”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Greenwich, CT
“Excellent family resort close to all major attractions”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Our family stayed here 4 nights during April break. We did not buy a package, and found that booking room only (excluding breakfast, tickets) was a better value. I read a number of reviews about concerns with noise level. We had an upstairs 2nd floor room, so didn't hear any footsteps or neighbors. The noise problem is more of a "guest problem" than resort problem, and I think as in any condo type development, if you have inconsiderate neighbors, you have a noise problem.
We are generally rather finicky, but loved this place. We stayed in a one bedroom, for a family of four. Our kids are young teenagers, and we had ample room, and thought the suite was quite spacious. The resort has a great heath club/spa facility complete with indoor and outdoor pools, great spa and superb large health club. There is also a game room in the sports complex. The resort is spread out, so this may be tougher to manage with young children. We don't usually eat at the hotels we stay at but there are a number of excellent restaurants including a reasonable Italian family restaurant in the sports complex with excellent pizzas.
I am a golfer and the plantation course was in poor shape, but the other courses looked nice. There is also a short 9 hole executive course which they only charge $15 to play.
In addition to golf there is a marina, and large tennis facility. The cafe in the tennis facility serves great pasteries, sandwiches on fresh homemade bread, but the lines are long.
There is a free shuttle to nearby williamsburg and busch gardens. We used the shuttle to busch gardens since it ran hourly and saved us the $10 parking fee, but drove to Colonial Williamsburg since that shuttle ran infrequently and parking was ample and free.
My only complaint is lack of free internet service to our building. The mgmt said it was being fixed, but was out during the duration of my stay.
We are planning on returning to Williamsburg, and will stay at Kingsmill resort again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank familyoffour50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Thai first
Eastlake, Ohio
Reviewed April 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed here from April 8-11 on the Family Vacation package. Included in this is your room, breakfast daily, busch garden tickets daily, one meal at Busch gardens and golf on the plantation course after 2:00pm. each day. The biggest thing that did not impress me was the gold course. The plantation course was brown and dry. NOT in good shape. They charge you $30 to ride and riding is required but then make you ride cart path only on a dried out course. Some complaining later and I was refunded the $30 cart fee. The only course of the 3 worth playing is the River course where they play the LPGA tournament. It is $30 for the cart plus a $45 upgrade charge. The best part of the resort was the buffet breakfast include dint he package. It was AWESOME! Everything you want is there. If not on the package it costs 14.95 for adults. It even has a great view of the water while you eat. Now the rooms and rest of the resort. The rooms are fine. I give them a B. We had a golf course view. Decent size. Bathroom a little small but manageable. Our room was on the second floor. The resort rooms are condo style. Each building has about 5-6 rooms. I didn't like the second floor but requested it because everyone said that the first floor had problems because you could hear the people on the second floor. While the resort grounds are nice, the resort facilities are spread out. The resort center where the buffet is as well as check in are in 1 building. The spa and pool with the restaurant, regattas is in another building next door. The golf pro shop is a gain in a different building. The tennis court is across the parking lot form everything else. All of the these buildings are close together but it just made it a hassle sometimes to get to places. Every building basically has 1 restaurant/cafe so be sure to check each building out when you get there to see what you like. The only thing open late is Moody's tavern int he resort center building.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Kingsmill Resort February 27th and 28th, 2009 while participating in a conference there. The rooms, while reasonably priced and very clean, had little or no sound proofing. These rooms are situated along the fairways of the vaunted Kingsmill golf course in clusters of 8 rooms to a building. I was awakened at 3am by the sound of our upstairs neighbor showering. We could hear him hum! The drain water gurgled relentlesly through the pipes in the walls. Every neighbor's flush resonated through our room. Every early riser's morning toilet was broadcast in audible detail. I did not sleep well. If you stay here, insist upon a room on the second floor or be prepared for sleep disruptions.

The staff is very attentive and courteous, going out of their way to assist at every turn.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Griller333
new york, ny
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Due to some airline entanglements, my husband and I had to delay our honeymoon for a couple of days after our wedding. We had our wedding in Maryland and were flying out of Dulles, so we didn't want to go too far. Going to Williamsburg was the perfect solution. When we pulled up to the Kingsmill Resort and Spa, I thought perhaps we'd booked the wrong hotel. The reception area looked so nice, and the entire grounds looked as green as a golf course. We stayed in a room of modest size but tastefully decorated and with a balcony. There are many small condo-style buildings, but it still feels very private. We had dinner in one of the restaurants, where we had pretty good pizza for Virginia. We then took a romantic stroll down to the beach. Kingsmill has a beautiful view. There is a waterfront restaurant by the beach as well that had just closed up by the time we got there. It seemed like the restaurants closed a little early there, but perhaps that makes it more family friendly. When we realized how nice it was, we wished we could have stayed for more than one night. Room service breakfast the next day was rather slow, and, sadly, cold by the time it arrived. It's a big place, though, so I wouldn't waste your money on room service. Another huge plus was its proximity to Busch Gardens, which is only maybe 10 minutes by car tops. Definitely a great hotel for couples or families!

Stayed June 2008
connecticut
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We decided to go to kingsmill for our family vacation last July. We had an awesome time. My teenage son and i are both golfers and had three golf courses to choose from. Golf rates were reasonable for guests staying on the property. While we were golfing my wife and daughter enjoyed going to the spa for some down time.

We decided to select the family package that included a full breakfast daily and tickets to Busch Gardens and Water Country U.S.A.
The suite was great nice and clean and has every thing that you would need. Are balcony over looked the 8th green on the river course. If you decide to go around the 4th of July you can see the fireworks at Busch Gardens from the resort.

We just booked for next summer. Can't wait

• Liked — Very clean and a friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed November 30, 2008

From the time that I attended law school at W&M, my friends and I had always heard fantastic things about Kingsmill. A law school friend and I, along with her 8 year old daughter, spent this Thanksgiving there, seeking the perfect getaway from work, family, the DC ratrace and life. We rented a 2 BR, 2BA suite (Bldg. 8, Rms. 6031 and 6033) and, by all accounts, the accommodations seemed perfect. She and her daughter took the room with the double beds, while I took the master bedroom. The property was beautifully maintained, the guestrooms were clean and very well-appointed, and the service was impressive. However, all of that was for naught!! We stayed a total of three nights and on the first two mornings, I was awaken at 6 a.m.-ish by a toddler upstairs running back and forth from the master bedroom to the livingroom area, and back again (and again and again and again . . . ). Additionally, the child's father stomped across the floor of the bedroom above me so loudly that I was certain he would crash through my ceiling at any time. This occurred on two consecutive mornings for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes on each occasion. I called the front desk both mornings, but they said that they couldn't do anything about it because when they sent the bellhop out to investigate the situation (i.e., place his ear up against the door of the room above mine), he did not hear anything. Luckily, the ill-mannered and selfish people above me checked out on Saturday, so I was able to sleep-in on Sunday. However, for nearly $550, I should have been able to sleep-in all three mornings. At check-out, I wasn't offered any compensation for the "inconvenience" of enduring the outrageous noise from above or the ridiculous conversation with the spineless desk clerk who didn't know what to do about the disruptive guests. I would not stay at this property again and would encourage anyone who wishes to make their own sleeping schedule to do the same.

• Liked — Proximity to DC and lots to do
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank JCH703
nj
Reviewed November 15, 2008

We snagged a terrific package which included tickets to Bush Gardens and breakfast everyday. We were in a one bedroom condo, which was clean and spacious with views over the golf course. There was a kitchenette with coffee maker and refrigerator. The bathroom was huge and shower was terrific. The bed linens were great as well.

Breakfast everyday at Eagles, where we ordered off the menu was a highlight. Fresh squeezed juice, and really creative menu options including stuffed french toast, cajun shrimp and grits, steak and eggs, smoked salmon and bagel. These were probably some of the best breakfasts we have ever had. The staff was very attentive, both in the restaurant, at the golf courses and the front desk.

Because we had a special rate, I would rate this resort an excellent value for money spent. Otherwise, one might think it was somewhat pricey; however, for a family staying in one of the condos, it would be very cost effective vs. hotel rooms, and you can cook some of your own meals, if you want.

Williamsburg is wonderful and I highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — Clean and spacious, with wonderful breakfasts.
  • Disliked — Building are spread out so you may need to drive or catch the hotel shuttle to some locations.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family