“Crowded and noisy”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here for two nights and used it mainly as a jumping-off point for Busch gardens. The room was not what we expected at all. It was quite warm and the climate control system could only be set to a low temperature of 69 degrees. Uncomfortably hot and made sleep difficult. Also the walls were paper thin. We could actually hear the conversations of the people in the next room. And unfortunately that room also had a dryer in it so when the young child got caught in a sudden downpour they put his clothes and sneakers in the dryer and turned it on and left. So we got to listen to the thumping dryer for an hour or so. Thanks neighbor! We actually went to the local walmart and bought a cheap box fan to put in our room to cool us off enough to sleep and to provide some white noise so we could sleep instead of listening to our neighbors talk. One of the worse rooms we have ever stayed in. No parking spaces available in front of our building either. Gah! Never again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank tbone2020
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear tbone2020,

I sincerely apologize for your unsatisfactory stay with us. We do our best to remedy problems during our guest's visit when it is brought to our attention; generally we can move a guest who is being disturbed by a neighbor or having cooling/heating issues. Again, please accept our apologies.

Regards,
Claudia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,766)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I am planning a trip in late July for 10 people. I have called the hotel two seperate times today trying to get some information regarding the different cottages and suites that this resort has to offer. I want to make the most of our time there, and wanted some basic information in regards to the location of the cottages, and the differences between the 3 bedroom cottages and the 3 bedroom suites. The first time I called, the woman in reservations was so rude to me I hung up the phone, took a few minutes to cool off, and then decided to call back in hopes of getting a different person. The second time I did get a different representative, unfortunatley she was no better and almost seemed like I was bothering her. I have never been to the resort before and wanted to get some information before I decide to drop an easy 6-8 thousand dollars on a weekend trip. Is this too much to ask? I really want to book here because the resort looks beautiful, but I guess it's back to the drawing board to see where else we can stay, that may be a little more hospitable to its guests.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Melissa W
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Good Afternoon Melissa:
I sincerely apologise for your experience with our reservations departments and would like to talk to you in regards to your experience, if you could please give me a call at 757-258-1626.
Vishal Chopra

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Kingsmill Resort over last weekend during an extended weekend getaway trip to Colonial Williamsburg. There were several high points to note: front desk and other Kingsmill Resort staff were friendly, we received quick and efficient service when we had to call anyone on the property for service, we had a great golf course view, and the room was larger than your typical hotel room. We also loved that the set up felt more like staying a condo or timeshare than it did in a hotel.

Of course, like any hotel, there were some downsides. A large group which included several children was staying in the room(s) nearby, and we could hear children running and screaming outside of our room each time they came or went. Also, on one occasion, the water ran cold for the entirety of my boyfriend's shower, although I took a quick (10-12 minute) shower with warm water right before him. We wondered if the water heater is shared by the building rather than individual to one room. Either way, the hot water supply should be able to withstand more than one shower!

It was also a slight inconvenience that the ice machines don't work in the winter months. Ice was sent over promptly, but we would have preferred to not have to bother the front desk staff every time we wanted a cold drink.

Overall, a great stay, but there are a few items that the resort could stand to address.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Erica A
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The resort is really nice. The staff very attentive and nice .We stayed there for the New Years Party the room was very nice and very large.The ground are amazing right along the James River.We went down to the Marina and had some Oysters and drinks before the party.The Ballroom was nice the Dinner service was great.Excellent Band and Dancing. The Breakfast was really good with cooked to order omlets.I hope to stay there again some time

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Earl B
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We recently returned from a two-day stay at Kingsmill Resort where we have been many times in the past. We have always been happy staying at Kingsmill and would rate it as a four or five star resort (four or five Trip advisor points), large rooms and generally good service. It is not inexpensive but you got what you paid for. Both my wife and myself feel we need to comment on our recent stay.

Unfortunately several things occurred that we left us disappointed.
In order of occurrence:

We called ahead and asked for early check-in. Upon arrival we were told the room was not ready (no problem here, we were early). They took our cell number and said they would call when the room was ready. We left and went to Busch Gardens and returned at about 9pm having never received a call about the room. Not a huge deal, but being forgotten just didn’t feel good.

That evening we ordered ice; the ice machines are outside and do not work in winter. After waiting 2 hours we, realized the ice was not coming. The desk did say sorry.

The next morning we went to the breakfast buffet. On check-in we were given a coupons for the breakfast as part of our package. Upon completion of breakfast, our wait staff simply wished us a good day. On the way out I gave hostess our coupon. She then tried to compel me to return to the table to give the coupon to the wait staff, as that was “the policy”. With some prompting, she did “take care of it”. Obviously she should have simply said, “thank you sir” and then figured out the servers were not asking for the coupons. In general the hostess was very nice, I just think a bit of training would help.

All of the above is really not too bad but a second problem occurred on our second day. We left our room around 10:30 am and did not return until about 10 pm to find that our room had not been made up. The desk did apologize when we called for towels and TP. The maids who brought the towels said they would let management know. That was the last we heard of it. The next day I checked out without a mention of this true lapse in service. We were very surprised that at least the manager on duty did not take a minute or two to come out and apologize.

As I said above, Kingsmill has good points but we had four problems in just two days. That is too many balls dropped in too short a time. If they want to maintain the high standards of the Busch family, they need to tighten things up. I wish I was giving this “resort” 5 out of 5 but they did not earn it this time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Donald L
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I visited Kingsmill over the Christmas holidays with my two toddler children, my husband and my parents. We have enjoyed our previous stays here, and this year the breakfast offerings seemed to have improved markedly. Our room as as usual quite comfortable. I'm writing this review however to highlight the poor experience we had using the pool with my children--a four-year old boy and a two-year old girl. My mother and I took my kids to the pool and changed them in the women's locker room. The attendant there chided my mother for bringing my son into the locker room even though there was no adult male to take him to the men's locker room. She also brusquely told my mother to stay at one side of the locker room because she was cleaning the other part. Finally, she told my mother to keep my son from walking around the locker room while she was busy changing into her street clothes even though he was simply looking for me, his mother. I understand that children may interrupt the serene spa atmosphere a resort may be trying to create but it's Kingsmill's responsibility to handle the presence of children in a non-scolding way especially if it advertises itself as a family resort. There is a family changing room but it's no better than a broom closet in feel with merely a few lockers and a diaper changing table. Kingsmill is not a public pool. Our family has used the resort for several years and have never been so rudely treated before. The front desk attendant at the spa was sympathetic to our concerns but we have not received any further feedback.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Julie S
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My extended family from Vermont, Massachusetts, and Florida came to Kingsmill between Christmas and New Year's for a wedding. Their travel horror stories were epic, but the minute they got to Kingsmill they forgot it all. They loved the area, the resort, the Eagles bar, the Riverview room in Eagles for the rehearsal dinner, and could.not.believe the Grand Ballroom for the wedding reception right at sunset. We sat fireside at Eagles, in the main building, and by the resort center firepit which was continually going outside. We tried to find time for the super warm pool and whirlpool in the sports building. Especially impressed by the whirlpools and steam baths IN the locker rooms. The riverview rooms were very much worth the price to us, as you could see the sunrise and the sunset over the James. Absolutely gorgeous, peaceful, quiet, but lively at night with everyone in a holiday mood. I didn't have a chance to eat at any of the restaurants but many family members enjoyed the James Landing Grille. So thank you Kingsmill for a memorable event! We hope to return at Christmas time many times in the future. The one area that needed improvement was reservations and the front desk, but they were putting in a new system so I'm hoping that was just a temporary problem.

Room Tip: Go riverview. Be careful that there are no elevators, if you don't want to walk up two flights o...