“Fantastic Vacation”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed seven nights in a gorgeous, spacious two bedroom two bath condo with a full living room and kitchen. Bathroom shower was gorgeous. Small washing machine exceptionally convenient. First resort that I would definitely return to. Conveniently located to all area attractions but an oasis in itself. Great restaurants that are reasonably priced, beautifully landscaped and designed grounds and buildings, fantastic pools with a lazy river that we enjoyed for hours. Marina has kayaks, paddle boards and jet skis and little sandy beach. Work out center awesome. Loads of biking and running trails. Tip: brings bikes! While golf cart and shuttle service very easy to get, my family enjoyed the very short bike ride to the pools and marina. The breakfast buffet is first rate. A phenomenal vacation!!

1  Thank luckygirlnewjersey
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear luckygirlnewjersey,

I'm so pleased to hear our suites, amenities and activities helped make your vacation a success! It was a great idea to bring your bikes to make getting around fast and easy. (We do rent bikes in case you forget them). Thank you for choosing Kingsmill; We hope to host you and your family on your next journey to Williamsburg!

There are newer reviews for Kingsmill Resort

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great location and destination in its own right! We stayed here for two nights so my daughter could visit William and Mary. Did not take advantage of the parks and tourist sites (Busch Gardens, Jamestown, etc) but thoroughly enjoyed the 'River Pool' that Kingsmill has on its grounds. The kids loved it as did my husband and I. Great place, would totally recommend it!

Room Tip: ask for an upper floor room. we had a ground floor room and my daughters complained about a couple...

Dear quidnet5,

Thank you for your kind words about Kingsmill! We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and I hope your daughter loved W&M! We hope you choose Kingsmill for your next trip to Williamsburg.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My family and I travel quite a bit from NJ to the Caribbean. We work hard and save up all year just to stay at fabulous resorts. Although these trips are enjoyable, our money is well spent right here in the U.S. at Kings Mill Resort and Spa. This private, gated property has a lush greenscape, colorful perennial gardens and picturesque views of golf courses, tennis courts, the marina and of course the James River! From the time that the doorman opens your car door to welcome you, it is evident that customer service is a high priority. Our suite was impeccable, gorgeous and had everything we needed including a washer/dryer en suite, spa robes, a safe and even an umbrella. Literally every need was met. The marina was fantastic and I loved kayaking and fishing on the James. The Spa was one of the best I have ever been to and my entire family enjoyed a service there. Whenever I wanted to go anywhere like the tennis courts or to one of their dining rooms, I just picked up the phone and called for a ride and they would say, "Ma'am just step out side and a car will be be there." I never waited for more than a minute! The free transportation to Bush Gardens and Water Country USA saves on parking fees too. My teens who are headed to college loved everything about it! I never worried about their safety. Do yourself a favor and book your next vacation here. It's safe, clean, beautiful and has everything you'll need. This is truly the best money I've spent on a resort in the U.S. This is our 4th or 5th stay.

Room Tip: The golf course view was amazing!
2  Thank Rita S

Dear Rita S,

Thank you so much for making Kingsmill your vacation destination this year! We hope we get to host you and your family again in the near future.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in a river view/king room. The grounds were lovely and immaculate. The staff throughout the resort was friendly. We swam in one of the many pools on the grounds, used the gym several times, played racquet ball, strolled the grounds and received services at the spa. We were hoping for a lovely, relaxing, and fun atmosphere and that's exactly what we experienced. We would definitely visit Kingsmill again.

Room Tip: King/River View is a must
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear ADJ17,

It sounds like you had a perfect Kingsmill weekend! Thank you for choosing Kingsmill Resort, and please come back soon!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to celebrate our 3 year anniversary and the resort was amazing. The staff was extremely friendly and the restaurants on the resort were very good. The bus shuttle service was very convenient as we parked our car when we arrived and did not have to use it again the entire weekend. I would highly recommend this resort to any group of people as there is something for everybody and the staff really go out of there way to make your trip a delight.

Dear Greg G,

Thank you for your kind words about the resort, and especially the staff. We take great pride in our hospitality! Happy anniversary to you and your girlfriend--we hope you make it back to Kingsmill for your fourth!

Fondly,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. The first day we played the River course which was great. Course was in good shape. We were a twosome and played in under 4 hours. We had lunch at Eagle's. Had the chicken salad and the pulled pork sandwich. Both were excellent.

Our room overlooked the marina and was clean and a good size. The king size bed was very comfortable.

Took the shuttle to Busch Gardens on our second day. Very convenient. The driver gave us discount tickets for a one day pass when we got on. It's only a 5 minute trip to the park. When we got back we went to the James Landing Grille. We didn't have reservations, but we were seated right away. Had the blackened mahi mahi sandwich which was delicious. The staff was very friendly and the service was excellent.

Would highly recommend Kingsmill. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Dear MulligansMom06,

We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here! Thanks for choosing Kingsmill-- I hope we have the chance to earn your business again soon!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We originally planned to stay at one of the many hotels in Williamsburg, and then decided we would go to a resort instead and the reviews and photos of Kingsmill won us over. When I saw a review that someone posted that said a year ago the carpets were bare threads and filthy as was the upholstery? I had to write a review because there is nothing further from the truth. Our room (building 27 in Padgett's Ordinary) was clean; in fact I'd call it very clean. Nothing was brand new but we walked in our socks and bare feet and they were not dirty from doing so. No dust, no dirt, no hair, no stains, no nothing! Clean and sparkling, which is what I expect for $200+ a night. I will add some tips that we discovered along the way during our 5 nights.

As I always state in my reviews, everything has pros and cons. Some pros may be a con to someone else and vice-verse, so this is just our opinion from our experience. The pros to Kingsmill are plenty:

~Location. You are literally on the James River and a PGA golf course, so your views cannot be beat. There is a shuttle service to Busch Gardens, Water Country, and Colonial Williamsburg. We found the timing of the shuttles just fine. A short drive into Williamsburg for sightseeing or shopping. Harris Teeter (grocery store) was literally across from the entrance for anything you may need. Golf carts provided transportation within the resort. The touch of a button on your phone and about 5 minutes later you had your ride at your door. *TIP We found it more convenient to be near the shuttle stop (and The Mill in the morning for breakfast) than the pools and sports complex. You can always get a ride to anywhere in the resort, but it was nice to be a 2 minute stroll to the shuttle.

~Rooms. The rooms are cozy and luxurious! Plush mattresses, multiple comforters, many pillows. Nice large flat-screen TV on the wall. Each room has a small private porch/balcony with a table and 2 chairs. Ours literally put us right on the golf course; it was beautiful, serene and relaxing. Blackout curtains worked fabulously (we accidentally slept until 10 am one day!) There is a Keurig coffee maker in the room. The bathrooms were updated and nicely done. Magnifying mirror, plenty of storage, plush robes, Kingsmill branded toiletries that reminded me of Peter Thomas Roth brand, which is a luxury brand. Each room has a safe as well. *TIP We asked for a fridge for our room. The smaller rooms do not have refrigerators (or microwaves) in them. unfortunately for me I have to follow a gluten free diet and needed to keep some items refrigerated. Not sure if that helped us to be given a fridge though, because they made no promises but was relieved when I saw it on the floor in the corner.

~Sports. If you like ANY sport, you will like Kingsmill. Golf, water sports (boating/kayak/sea-doo/canoe/paddle-boats), swimming (multiple pools), tennis, racquetball, basketball, even ping-pong... it's all here. The arcade was average (Is that a sport?). The new river pool was fabulous. We spent many hours here, as it was open until 10 pm. The grill closes at 8:30 but the fire pit is turned on to sit around a fire. There is construction of the new River Cottages going on next to the new pool, but this didn't bother us in any way. *TIP Inside the sports complex, where just about any sport can be enjoyed, are changing/locker rooms. There is a sauna, steam room and deep whirlpool inside a luxurious spa atmosphere since this is attached to the spa. Since the spa closes between 5-7 pm, by 9 pm this section was deserted. I showed my 12 year old daughter the steam room and sauna and she got to experience this area with me for a little while, as long as it remained vacant, which it did. *TIP The pools provide adequate towels. We brought a few of our own to use on the chairs at the pools for our own comfort. *TIP There is complementary lemon water at the outdoor pools.

~Staff. The staff at Kingsmill was fabulous. We met people from locals to those with accents (who all spoke perfect English by the way). All were courteous and beyond friendly. We decided to stay an extra day and that required some finagling from the front desk. The resort was fully booked but I saw there was a room left on hotels.com which I was able to book on line and the front desk seamlessly took care of the rest. We did not have to change rooms, and just had to stop in to get updated keys. Kudos to the front desk for making that work for us. *TIP There are fresh apples in a wooden bowl at the lobby desk in the afternoon.

~Food. Amazing, fabulous, great quality. A little pricey but worth it. We had room service deliver a late night snack, it arrived quickly and was very good. They do add 18% gratuity and a $3 delivery charge. *TIP The snack bars (The Mill by the tennis courts, and Currents by the River Pool had smaller bites at reasonable prices). If you want to eat at any of the fabulous restaurants, make a reservation.

Now for the Cons... there are a few of them.
~Bugs! It's a river and woods and there will be bugs. The lights stay on at each room entrance 24/7 and cannot be turned off via switch. As the sun goes down the bugs come out and they had a party at our door. The bugs gathered so much that we called it the "Bug Run" when we would run through to get into the room, and then would spend the next 5 minutes killing little moths, etc that got in. *TIP- If you are on the first floor have one person go to the door, open it up and close the door quickly behind them. Everyone else? Report to the back door. Keep the back light off in the evening (switch by the sliding door) and close your blackout drapes- there won't be any bugs there. Kingsmill should really address this. The lights need to be moved to BEHIND the doorway not before it.

~Rooms. They are small, they adjoin, and they have thin walls. Yes, any room you get can adjoin to the suite next to you. Many have complained here but we found it to be a clever design and no different than many other hotel with adjoining rooms. The beds we double, not queen so it was tight. The room was small with very little drawer storage but with some organization it worked just fine as there is a big closet. The room could use some hooks. Places to hang wet towels or bathing-suits would have made our lives a little easier. The walls are thin and we did hear an argument next to us one night. The family next to us got up early and went to bed early which is opposite of what we like to do, so it made it a little rough. Again, this is like plenty of other places we have stayed. *TIP If you are getting a single room not a suite, you will be on the end on the first floor with nobody above you which was very nice. *TIP Put the foot rests from the end of the bed along a wall and they can hold a suitcase.

~Parking. We were in Padgett's Ordinary and parking was extremely tight. One night there was no place to park! We chose another Ordinary that had space, we let security know and there was no issue except for us not being right by our car.

~Housekeeping. I don't have any complaints about the service to our room. The room was nicely done every day, the maid even brought a cup that she realized she forgot, but the time was not consistent. One day at 9 am, one day at 4 pm. One day we asked for extra coffee K-cups, and a bath mat that was forgotten. We called on our phone and in 10 minutes it was at our door (we did not have to "chase someone down"). There was a room service tray left all day outside on the steps of our building and there were bugs on it. Our in-resort shuttle driver actually called it in for someone to get it, twice. They do leave bags of dirty linens around for someone to pick up. It didn't bother me so much. They weren't on the walkway and they were dark blue fabric bags, but I can see how it might annoy some. It's a big resort and I get that, but Disney is big too and I never saw bags of linens scattered around. *TIP Just use your "Do Not Disturb" sign when you are in the room and housekeeping won't bother you but they will always get to your room.

~Shuttle. We had no problems to speak of, but worth a mention. They run a tight shuttle ship. They are on time, to the minute, and wait for no one so be on time!

~No late food. There is no place at Kingsmill to get food later in the evening other than room service. It would be very nice to come back from the Theme Park and get a late night snack. The River Pool is open until 10 pm and there were always people there, but the food/bar shuts down at 8:30?! Some of the restaurants were open until 9-10 but we didn't want to go and have a full sit-down meal. *TIP We made a Harris Teeter run and stockpiled some snacks in our room.

~Drains/Water. As someone else stated our drain was soooo slow, we would be standing in about 6" of water at the end of the quick shower. The water in the bathroom never got cold. One night I wanted a cold drink of water and I let the faucet run for 5 minutes and still only luke-warm. Annoying, but that's about it.

~Cost of water sports. They ranged from inexpensive (kayaks) to ridiculously expensive (Sea-Doos). *TIP If you like to fish, bring your own equipment and buy a license on line ahead of time. There is salt water on the beach/pier (Kingsmill on the James River is in the salt water line) and fresh water in a stocked pond. The resort charges $15 a day just for a license (it's an odd third-party license to their pier). We did some salt water fishing with a $10, 10-day license.

~Information on Resort. We were disappointed with the amount of information in the hotel binder in the room. It's a small annoyance more than a con that would stop us from staying here again. We could not find pool hours, restaurant hours, etc. The River Pool and bar/grill Currents wasn't even in the binder. There is a Resort Channel on the TV which was informative, but we had to make phone calls to get information when we had a question, and it should all be in the book or on the TV.

Seriously, all in all the pros outweighed the cons (which were more of annoyances than true cons) and this was an amazing place to stay. We enjoyed our 4 nights here so much that we added on a night. We have been all over and have decided that Kingsmill is one of our favorite places and lucky for us we can drive there! Our kids (14,12) liked it so much they want to come back next year! *TIP Book early because there were many rooms available one day, and then a week later the resort was sold out!

Room Tip: Don't worry about being close to the pools, etc. Ask for a room near the shuttle stop if you pla...
8  Thank andyandsueinNJ

Dear andyandsueinNJ,

We're so pleased you had a wonderful stay, and thank you so much for the thorough review! We appreciate and benefit from such input, and I assure you we have taken your "cons" into consideration in an effort to improve the guest experience. We thank you for choosing Kingsmill and we're looking forward to your return!

Fondly,