We just returned from our 2nd stay at Kingsmill Resort. We were told check in was at 4:00pm. When we tried to check in, I was told that the room was not ready yet, and that they would call me when it was ready. After a five our drive, that wasn't what we wanted to hear. And hour later, at 5pm, I got the call that the room was ready, I went to get my room keys, and there was no apology at all, which surprised me. Others had also had to wait and I overheard one of the people behind the desk say that they were giving someone breakfast for their inconvenience. This was not even offered to my family, nor was an apology. At almost $300 a night, having to wait the extra hour was not expected from a nice resort. I guess it is common there as others mentioned their room was not ready either. The only other thing that bothered us during our five night stay, was there was no consistency to the cleaning service. You never knew when to expect them and sometimes it would be so late when they knocked on the door, that we just asked for clean towels instead. Once, they had not stocked the toilet paper, and we had to hunt down someone for toilet paper. Again, at $300 a night, you should have more than one roll of toilet paper in the bathroom. Another thing I question is, why do nice resorts have such cheap quality of toilet paper anyway? Splurge for the Cottonelle if you are going to charge that much for the room stay. Sometimes it is the little things that matter. A glass that had a broken rim was just put back in the cabinets, my daughter luckily noticed before she drank out of it. There was broken door handle, and the sliding doors... one would not even open. Another thing, for some reason, the cleaning people would leave bags of dirty linens laying around in the stair wells and by the doors... sometimes for a few days. There was a plate and 2 empty wine classes left sitting on the railing at the bottom of the stairs, and it sat there for a few days too. The outside of the building and the decks and handrails have a lot of spider webs and they look like they haven't been cleaned in a while. Now, having said this, we are from the country and are used to that, but I am sure some of the city people coming there will not appreciate all of the excess bugs and such. The other buildings that we went into, were not like that... so maybe it is just the buildings with condos that don't get a good cleaning. We stayed on the top floor and have a river front, one bedroom suite. The view was amazing and that made up for the rest of my complaints, as we had good privacy and saw all kinds of wildlife right outside of the room. We were told by a shuttle driver, that there are plans for a river boardwalk to be built. I really hope they do not put that between the buildings and the river, as that would ruin the serenity of the location and commercialize that. Another positive was the shuttle service. They were always on time and got us to Busch Gardens and back many times over the week and were very friendly. We tried out the new river pool, and that was a good spot for the kids... but after one visit there we found we preferred the main original pool, as it was less crowded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kingsmill Resort is situated on 2,900 protected acres along the James River in historic Williamsburg, Virginia. At Kingsmill, we invite our guests to experience a relaxing retreat where casual elegance provides the perfect backdrop for a stress‐free getaway. Guest can relax in 425 exquisite villa‐style guest rooms and suites overlooking the sparkling James River. Situated adjacent to Busch Gardens, 5 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Cancelon and Jetsetter so you can book your Kingsmill Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kingsmill Resort Williamsburg
- Kingsmill Hotel Williamsburg