“Beautiful accomodations on the James River”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Avon Lake
“Beautiful accomodations on the James River”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have been staying here on and off over the years visiting the area. Villas are very spacious
with great balconies, generous sized rooms and kitchens. I would definitely splurge and pay the upcharge for a view of the river and also request a top floor unit. The walls and floors are thin
and you can hear everything above or below you - so top floor will get you the quietest stay if
the building is full. They will bring firewood for your fireplace and start it for you in season which
is a nice touch. Beds are wonderful- very comfy. The decor is a bit dated but the furniture is
very comfortable and well maintained. A nice large easy chair in the bedroom plus a desk
and workstation. The drive up to and the entire property is really lovely - great places to walk
or just sit and enjoy a picnic lunch overlooking the James. Did not eat in any of the restaurants on property but their rec center and pools are very nice. The steps to your unit are wooden
stairs that are outdoor - no elevators - so be prepared when packing your gear and if you
have trouble with stairs. If you want to step away from the hub bub of the "tourist row" of hotels and places to visit - Kingsmill is THE place to do it. It's hard to beat waking up in the morning - at any time of year - and stepping out onto your balcony to enjoy your breakfast with the peaceful view of the James River.

Room Tip: We have only stayed in one bedroom villas with the full living room and kitchen. All are nice but de...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear bonevoyage,

“Beautiful accommodations on the James River” is a great compliment to Kingsmill Resort and our team members. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I enjoy fact that we are secluded, it gives that remote secure feeling that is a rare feeling to capture and makes us very unique in our area. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team members. We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again next year.

L. Abraham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Thai first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We planned an overnight stay at Kingsmill including a half day at the spa for four. The Accommodations--Although the two bedroom suite was clean and nice, we were told that breakfast was included. Unfortunately, after we had already received our food, we were told it was not. The employee that gave us the information happened to be there that morning. We spoke with her and the manager concerning the confusion. Although the employee admitted telling us that breakfast was included, she said she was incorrect in telling us that. The manager would not comp the breakfast which I thought was poor business sense, considering the employee even admitted she conveyed the information. The Spa--At the time, Kingsmill was running a special, for every $50 coupon purchased, the cost was only $35. There were coupons for the spa, accommodations and golf. They ran out of the spa coupons, and the employee that we spoke with stated that it did not matter what the coupon was actually for, they could be used for any service or retail purchase. (Yes, same person that misinformed us about the breakfast) When we paid for the 1/2 day spa day for four, we were told that we could only use the coupons that stated "Spa". The spa manager was called and after we explained what we were told, she reluctantly said they would do it this one time. After that embarrassment at the desk in front of other patrons, the spa was only ok. The bathrooms are outdated. There was trash on the floor of the bathroom. I witnessed two employees on separate occasions using the facility and did not even pick it up. In addition, the individual that performed my manicure clearly just came in from having a smoke outside. On a positive note, the facial and massage I received was great. No complaints.
Overall, extremely disappointed in Kingsmill. Even with the current special, the cost was high in relation to the services received. I have been to Kingsmill many times for PGA and LPGA golf tournaments. I do not think that the Spa lives up to Kingsmills' reputation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andrea T
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Andrea T,

Our sincerest apologies for your experience during this stay Kingsmill. Regarding breakfast being included in your reservations; generally at the time of booking it would be confirmed if you were on a package with breakfast, followed by a confirmation email stating if your reservation included breakfast. We do have packages available that include breakfast.

I was also able to review your feedback with the Spa Manager and I saw that she was able to honor the save 30 coupon but I do understand your frustration, especially when you were given the incorrect information in the beginning, then left to sort it out at the end. We also acknowledged and addressed the issue with your manicurist, which should have never happened. We thank you for your kind comments about the service you received with your facial and massage, as well as your comments about the cleanliness of your suite. I will be sure to pass that on to our Housekeeping team, they will greatly appreciate it.

We are currently making improvements to the locker room facility that is scheduled to be competed at the end of March. I am sorry that this stay did not live up to your expectations, as you know this is not the typical experience for our guest and I thank you for your feedback. As a return guest, your feedback is extremely important to us, because with out it, we cannot continue to improve our services. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this any further.

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had another delightful stay at the Kings Mill over the Christmas break with our two teenagers. We stayed over for New Years Eve and had the best and most peaceful time. Kingsmill is beautiful—located right on the James River. The suites are spacious and there is plenty of room for all of us to spread out and relax. We really love the working fireplace. The staff was prompt in bringing firewood and laying the fire. They also left a generous amount of wood to keep the fire going. We watched the sun set from the Marina Bar and Grille and it was just lovely. The view from the second floor of the Grille is spectacular!
The staff did a terrific job tidying our room, and so nice in accommodating us since we stayed in our rooms until noon. We were there in December and slept in. We had a gift certificate to the Spa, so we all had a manicure.
Williamsburg overall can be crowded and tiring after a day of events and sight seeing so having the large grounds and spacious quarters makes Kingsmill feel like a quiet, special world. Just driving in gives a nice calm feeling, especially after a day of sight seeing.
I reserved our rooms over the telephone and check in was a breeze. We had to leave very early on a Holiday check out day. Very quick. A great vacation for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Julia C
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Julia C,

“Peaceful Oasis Getaway with Family” is a great compliment to Kingsmill Resort and our team members. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and it was relaxing warm environment for you and your family. The fireplace is definitely one of my favorite features in our suites, especially on a cold winter day. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team members. We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again next year.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Second time here great vacation spot excellent service ,pools couldn't be better just opened new lazy river, golf courses great but a little pricey rooms large and comfortable cant wait to come back .

• Stayed September 2012
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear usedcars1,

We thank you for choosing Kingsmill Resort on your recent visit to Williamsburg, we are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the feedback and thank you for staying with us; we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband, one year-old and I were looking for a getaway around New Year's, and Kingsmill didn't disappoint. Our suite was large with a full-service kitchen and working fireplace. The resort grounds are nice, and the property is very family-friendly, with restaurant options that include children. Apart from our room not being ready at 4:00 p.m. (check-in time) and an unknowledgeable associate at the front desk, we had a really nice stay. The gym is well-appointed, and while it was a minor service, I had maybe the best eyebrow wax I'd ever had at their spa. We found the Italian restaurant average but the burgers from Eagles were excellent. The icing on the cake though happened after leaving the resort. A couple days after we'd returned home, I'd realized I'd left a cashmere cape (Christmas gift) and scarf in the nightstand. I called, and shortly after, I heard that they had my items and would be shipping them immediately. Very impressive service (and integrity). Hats off to Kingsmill.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vahoo
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Vahoo,

My sincerest apologies for your experience regarding check-in and with the front desk, I will review this with my Front Office Manager. I was happy to hear that you had one of the best eyebrow waxes and you found our facilities to be pleasing. Your feedback is extremely important to us, because with out it, we cannot continue to improve our services.

sherwood, wi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed recently at Kingsmill Resort. The first impression was just so so. The rooms are all over the resort and can be a bit of a walk to the main lobby and conference area. That problem disappeared as soon as I checked in.

My room was terrific. A bedroom, kitchen, living room and outdoor patio. It was clean, large and comfortable and it had a fireplace. Service at the hotel was terrific and getting around was easy due to the frequent shuttle bus service. You could walk or ride -it's up to you.

Food and bars are just average and the only reason for not giving the wonderful resort a higher rating.

This is a good place to stay if you are visiting Williamsburg and I recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank musikmanSherwood_Wi
Dear musikmanSherwood_Wi,

“Great location and great resort!” is a great compliment and we thank you sincerely. We are happy that your room and hotel services were terrific. I do apologize for your experience with the bars and restaurants on property, I will be sure to pass on that feedback. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Tarboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

My experience at Kingsmill was just a delight. My family and I really enjoyed ourselves. From the transportation for my kids trip to the game room and pool. Making the trip a lot easier on us as the parents. Being able to enjoy a family conversation around the bar in the kitchen like we as a family always do, while our mom and the girls prepare breakfast and dinner was even better. The view from every window was jus amazing. The comfort of everybody having space in each bedroom to really relax. Our families overall experience was great. I would recommend the beautiful resort to everyone I know who's looking for a romantic or family vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ChelceyL544
Dear ChelceyL544,

“Best family vacation resort” is a great compliment and we thank you sincerely! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we provided comfort and convenience for your family during your time with us. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.