“Beautiful and Relaxing”
Review of Kingsmill Resort

Kingsmill Resort
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Kingsmill Resort and Spa is absolutely beautiful....lush scenery and perfectly manicured grounds. We satyed in a 2 bedroom suite on the James River, LOVED it!! Perfect for myself, my husband and out teenage sons. Rooms were spacious and luxurious. Bathroom showers were heavenly!! Especially after long hours at the park.
Love the breakfast buffet, very reasonable, and so many choices. The staff is very attentive and friendly. The shuttle bus to Busch Gardens and Water Country is the BEST. Very convenient, ad I love that they drop you off right at your room after a long day at the park. If you are fortunate enough to get Dave the driver...listen to what he says!! The man knows how to navigate the parks...he does not steer you wrong!!
Kingsmill is definitely worth the money...it is a relaxing retreat from the parks. The pool is beautiful, and now they have a slide and lazy river....which I look forward to doing next year!!

Room Tip: The extra cost to be on the James River is worth it, it is beautiful and serene.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank deseld
Write a ReviewReviews (1,766)

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Kingsmill is the most wonderful place. The entire resort is so beautiful. The staff are amazing, so friendly and helpful. Our extended family has stayed here many times and it's always a pleasure. Tina, and the others in Reservations, set everything up for us. Check-in is quick and efficient. Their buses provide transportation to Busch Gardens and Williamsburg. That alone saves you so much in time and parking fees. The accomodations are amazing - very roomy and so clean. There is so much to do here for kids and adults. The restaurants have great food and the Mill coffee shop is great for a quick sandwich or snack. Make sure you walk down to the Marina. Food and drinks are excellent and the view of the James River is awesome! You can stay here for about the same price as the chain hotels and get so much more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank nina127
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a perfectly decent place to get away for a few days if you live within driving distance, especially if it means missing out on the ridiculous airport experience we encounter these days. You have plenty to do, fishing, tennis, golf, jetskiing, kayaking etc etc so shouldnt really get too bored at the resort and beyond that there is Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Park etc etc all close by. I'd certainly go again. All that said, food (esp at the marina) is just not good so if you are looking for fine dining, look elsewhere close by (Le Yaca, Fat Canary etc).

Room Tip: Waterfront room is worth the extra in my view, makes for great sunsets!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Milanista
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for choosing Kingsmill Resort on your recent visit to Williamsburg. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed parts of your stay. I apologize for your dining experience at the James Landing Grille and I will be sure to review your feedback with my Executive Chef. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Although the resort is under renovation, other facilities are functional and in working order. We can't wait to come back again when the prices are a little more affordable. We think this is the best resort in the Williamsburg area!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank cameronFairfax
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here last year in a room overlooking the fairway and had a wonderful time and were very happy with the room. This year we had two children with us and booked a room either overlooking the water or the tennis courts. We arrived at our two double bed "tennis court view" room and were very disappointed. The view was blocked by shrubbery and the room was extremely small. The rate was over $200 a night so we expected more than just a basic room. It was pouring rain and late when we checked in so we just weren't up to trying to get a new one. The entance was on the side of the building and there was no cover from the rain - in fact the roof sloped so that the rain ran right onto the sidewalk to the door. There were two spider webs around the door and there was trash on the sidewalk. Not sure if we'll come back here again.

2  Thank maryann_and_jay

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, the accommodation you received was confirmed at your time booking. We have other room types available in various areas of our resort, had we known that you were dissatisfied with your accommodations, I am confident that we would have tried to place you in another guest room. Thank you again for your feedback, because with out it, we cannot continue to improve our services.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just returned from two nights at Kingsmill. We traveled with our two children, ages 11 and 14. Overall, we had a great stay. The property is quite pretty and we really enjoyed all of the amenities including the game room, gym (above average for a hotel), indoor/outdoor pool, and as a bonus the new lazy river pool was open over the Labor Day weekend. Our kids had a great time at the lazy river which had inner tubes available at no extra charge (we've been to "resorts" that charged extra for the tubes) and my husband and I appreciated the bar/snack bar while we were relaxing.One note of caution about the lazy river, it seems that there are some sharp areas on the pool bottom and both of my kids had small cuts on their feet from it. When I spoke to the pool manager he said he had heard other reports of similar incidents since the pool opened that day and they would be examing the situation. I'm guessing that they will try to rectify this problem quickly.

My only complaint about the resort is the check-in staff at the front desk. They seemed quite arrogant and had no interest in trying to accomodate my requests. I had requested in my reservation that we be located on a top floor. At check-in I asked about this and I got a curt, "we're completely booked". There was no attempt to try to see what she could to accomodate me. We are seasoned travelers and I was quite put off by the cursory treatment of the front desk clerk. How about trying to make your guest happy or at least trying? That's what you expect from a high end resort.

When we got into our room, a spacious one bedroom suite, we noticed a large cob-web hanging over the light at the desk in the master bedroom. My husband called down to the front desk and someone at room control was quite kind and offered to upgrade us to a river view room (we were booked into a deluxe room). Now that was outstanding service and we appreciated it. In fact, that kind of treatment by hotel staff inspires us to return to a property.

Our new one bedroom suite was generously sized and quite comfortable. I do agree with other reviewers that the furniture is in need of an upgrade. The sofa bed that my children slept on was quite uncomfortable, however, the king bed in the master bedroom was very comfortable.

Other than the front desk staff, all of the other staff at the hotel was quite hospitable and very responsive to requests/needs. This includes both the housekeeping staff and the shuttle drivers. We used the complimentary shuttle to go to/from Busch Gardens and around the property. It was great having this as an amenity.

We had two meals at the resort. Our meal at Regatta's was really delicious. My husband loved the crab cakes and my kids really enjoyed the pizza. Our second meal was at the James Marina Grill. The food was "okay", but nothing special. In hindsight, we should have returned to Regatta's for a second night. Eating dinner on the property was very convenient and we appreciated not having to get in the car and driving around town looking for a restaurant.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family has been going to Kingmill for years. But this last time, over Labor Day weekend, was somewhat disappointing. The rooms are still nice, and the grounds are beautiful. However, they are making a lot of changes, and not necessarily for the better. The new restaurant at he marina is BAD. There are no other words to describe it. The servers were poorly trained, and the food was descent, at best. On top of that, they are no longer serving breakfast at Eagles, the golf house restaurant. Eagles had the best breakfast on the property. And apparently they will be closing that how building done all together in the near future. Very Sad.

The new pool and lazy river is nice and enjoyable. However, I foresee problems with that as well. They added a beach feature around the pool with sand. We were there the day it opened and there was already bucket loads of sand in the pool. They are really going to have to work to keep that place clean.

We love Kingsmill and will return. But we are very concerned about the direction that the new management is taking the resort. It is not up. They need to listen to there long time patrons and area residents and return to their old standard of service.

Room Tip: The first floor is great because you have a walk-out deck. However, the insulation between floors i...

Dear Valued Guest,

Our sincerest apologies for your dining experience at the James Landing Grille. I was able to review your feedback regarding the service and quality of food with the Manager of the James Landing Grille and Executive Chef. They are working together to ensure that we improve service standards and food quality. Regarding the lazy river pool, we are in the process of adding wash stations that should minimize the amount of sand that is transferred into the pool area. The direction of our resort is a positive one, as our Management Company continues to look for ways to add value for our guests coming to Kingsmill Resort. As a return guest, your feedback is extremely important to us, because with out it, we cannot continue to improve our services.