“Don't let older reviews scare you!”

Westgate Historic Williamsburg Resort
Ranked #55 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2009

For an alumni trip down to William and Mary, my friends and I were looking for an inexpensive, convenient place to stay. We ended up booking the Westgate in spite of the reviews because we couldn't find anything better, and I'm SO glad we did. FYI if you book ahead online you can get a great rate- or if possible use the VA resident discount.

Beginning with check-in, the staff was friendly and accomodating. We had separately booked 2 rooms and didn't expect them to be together, and without being asked the staff said they could give one group of us a closer room if we waited about 1/2 hour. They also gave us extra parking passes.

We had zero complaints about the rooms- they were clean, spacious, and came with WAY more amenities than we'd been expecting (full kitchen, housewares,etc). All of our friends staying elsewhere were jealous of both the quality and price. Also there is a serious penalty for smoking in the rooms, so it smelled absolutely fresh, not the smoke-covered-up-with-fragrance smell that a lot of hotels have.

The hotel is situated within walking distance of the WM campus/colonial williamsburg (about 20 minutes), which is great if you know how difficult parking can be on holiday weekends. It's also right near a Dunkin Donuts- don't judge, everyone needs caffeine.

Overall I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel and will be staying there if I ever take a group trip back to the 'burg again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank robyngrace86
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Historic Williamsburg Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2015

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay here. We do hope you visit us again!

Reviewed October 27, 2009

After reading the reviews I was afraid of what I was going to stumble on. I was greatly surprised to find a nice place. The room was not big but comfortable, the bathroom very clean, extra sheets, pillows and comforter in the closet. Very soft and clean towels. The people of the reception were very friendly. The location, excellent. Close to the Historic Williamsburg and close to restaurants and breakfast places.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your review! It is great to hear you enjoyed our resort. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2009

I called and booked a stay at this resort. Not knowing anything about it, while speaking to the representative, I google a review for this hotel. The reviews were pretty bad so while talking on the phone I told them to go ahead and cancel the reservation. I was on the phone for a while and no supervisor available to cancel. He finnally comes online and he deffers my call to someone else. I told him that I want to cancel and he still puts me on hold. Finally he tells me to call another number and I called. The lady on the phone saids that there are no supervisors available and to wait for a call from a representative within 24 hrs. I guess they are waining for my charge to come through and hopefuly I will be able to cancel this reservation.....

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Historic Williamsburg Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2015

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We have made many improvements since you last booked with us. It is unfortunate that you did not get to stay at our resort and hope you give us a chance in the future.

Reviewed August 24, 2009

I have to admit, I checked the reviews with this hotel the day before I went to Williamsburg. But once I was there I was relieved. The hotel was SPOTLESS CLEAN. After watching dateline tonight a few years ago, I got the idea to always travel with a black light. The sheets were CLEAN no mysterious stains, or any stains for that matter. I found the staff at Westgate very helpful. They gave us great advice on where to park and what to see in Virginia Beach. As far as location, it was in a nice neighborhood, close to shopping and restaurants. We were able to pickup some food at Walgreens which was very cheap, and another supermarket which I can't think of at the moment. The old historic area by William & Mary, is beautiful. Stores are a little pricey, but what do you expect in a tourist area. I could go on and on about how great this vacation was. I would go back again!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. It is wonderful to know you had such a great stay! Please visit us again.

Reviewed July 11, 2009

I was planning to write a generally good review about this resort, but, alas, it has turned out to be our worst experience ever! BEWARE - there seems to be a scam taking place at this resort. I found a $200 charge on my credit card (three weeks after we checked out) for what they are claiming is a damaged coffee table. The picture they sent me could have been from any room, taken at anytime with a water ring on the wood table, and they claim that it is 'unusable'. They insist they are allowed to charge us this money to refurbish their room. How many other families have been forced to pay for the upkeep of this place?? How dare they charge anything to my credit card after I have already checked out with a receipt from their own computer with a $0 balance!! Now I have to dispute this because it's their word against ours! If there was a problem, why didn't they contact us to question it? Why didn't they send us a bill? etc. I truly feel they tried to steal my money, hoping that I wouldn't find out. Be sure to check out with a manager in your room before you leave the premises. Better yet, stay at a different timeshare in the area. They offer much more, and take much less.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank NYaspiemom

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We have made many improvements since you last stayed with us and hope you visit again.

Reviewed March 17, 2008

I own a Westgate Time Share and I actually stayed in the beautiful rooms on there web site. me and my family stayed in the 2 room suit, It was four of us and we loved it, we didn't check out the pool but it didn't look to inviting. I agree that the Heritage in looks a lot worse but if you own a Westgate time share it is great. But the Timeshare runs us about 600 dollars a year and we get it for a week out of the year, If you want a beter time you should purchase a timeshare but only if you plan to take a vacation a week out of every year

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank iamsocool

Thank you for being apart of the Westgate family! It is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay with us. We cannot wait to see you at another one of our Westgate Resorts.

Reviewed August 26, 2007

I was highly disappointed when I booked a 5 day vacation thru Westgate Resorts, VA. They advised that they were booked but they could accomodate my request and book a room for me on their property called Heritage Inn. The Heritage had the same address as Westgate so I believed it can't be too bad if they are on the same property- not!!! Westgate was beautiful - a 3 or 5 star hotel and Heritage Inn was disgusting and was not even a half star motel! It was a bait and switch-- They went from Hotel standards to below Motel standards but claimed that Heritage Inn was our "Home away from home". When I opened the door to my room at Heritage, the smell literally knocked me backwards outside into the corridors- it was the worst smell I've ever smelled- it smelled like someone had a fecal matter fetish on top of vomiting and this was not cleaned from the rugs. The offensive odor made my stomach turn. There were bugs smashed on the walls and the bedding was torn, holy and dingy. The sofa had a big hole in it. This is not my home away from home- stay away from Heritate Inn if u don't want to endure the worst smell of your lifetime!! Westgate Resorts need to be ashamed to offer such horrible accomodations on their property- very misleading and they are living off their name b/c their motel was worse than a rathole!! After this nightmare, we checked in and checked out within the first 20 minutes of being in Heritage Inn, demanded our $ back and went to Holiday Inn down the street which felt more like my "Home away from Home" and it smelled refreshing and clean. We then began our vacation.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank PennsylvaniaPurple

Thank you for your feedback. We have made many improvements since you last stayed with us and hope you visit again.