I took my 10-year-old nephew and 86-year-old mom on a road trip from Boston, MA to Washington, DC, Alexandria, Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown, VA during school vacation week. We left Alexandria to go to the Westgate in Williamsburg, and I relied on my GPS to direct us. We were on a dark highway at 9:30 pm when the GPS said "arriving at destination". Panicked, and in the middle of nowhere, (I left the Virginia map at our previous hotel), we got off at the next exit in search of an open gas station and guidance. A very nice couple at the station pointed us towards Williamsburg, and said we had gone about an hour out of our way. We stopped for further directions to Colonial Williamsburg, and once we were closer to our destination, called the hotel to ask for specific directions to the Westgate. I spoke with Judy who gave me instructions and said we were 15 minutes away. It was dark, and we drove around for a half hour, having missed, or not able to recognize any of the signs. I called the hotel again, and on the other end of the line was Tony Clarke. He very kindly and patiently stayed on the phone with me until we arrived at the front entrance of the Westgate Resort to a standing ovation at midnight. With his reassuring manner, he helped calm a carful of extremely anxious travelers. I was never happier to see anyone, and will always remember the kindness he showed us.
With all the tragic and negative news we hear daily, especially from our hometown of Boston, it's easy to be cynical. Tony is a shining example of the kindness of strangers, and someone who goes the extra mile. I hope the Westgate Historic Williamsburg management recognizes the stellar employee they have in Tony Clarke. We won't forget him.
Kudos also to the gentleman in security who was part of our late-night welcoming committee. He allowed us to park out front and took our bags to our room, refusing to accept a tip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ideal Choice for Your Williamsburg Vacation Getaway Westgate Historic Williamsburg Resort in Williamsburg, Virginia, provides guests all the comforts of a fully furnished home, all within minutes of area attractions such as Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Water Country USA. Accommodations at our Williamsburg, VA hotel range from cozy studios to spacious one- and two-bedroom villas with fully equipped kitchens, queen sleeper sofas, separate living and dining areas, satellite TVs with DVD players and full baths with jetted tubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia so you can book your Westgate Historic Williamsburg Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westgate Historic Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg
- Westgate Historic Hotel Williamsburg
- Williamsburg Westgate Historic Hotel