“Great for the money within Colonial Williamsbug Park.”

Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #34 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
New York
“Great for the money within Colonial Williamsbug Park.”
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Governor's Inn was a great deal! We stayed from 7/3-7/7/07. It was clean, beds were comfortable and no musty ordors. The continental breakfast was satisfying as a quick meal but after a few days we ventured outside for breakfast. The dinning area gets crowded quickly. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank rn4life

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
USA
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We opted for this hotel for two basic reasons -- 1. The location is an easy walk to the historic area. 2. As an 'on-site' guest you get a terrific deal on admission tickets. For less than the cost of a single day admission ticket you get a (to borrow from Disney terminology!) 'length of stay pass' allowing you to come as go as you wish for the entire length of your stay.

Having read the reviews here I knew it would not be a perfect hotel, but we couldn't afford the pricier 'official hotels. And really, by and large, it was fine. The room was clean, and entirely adequate in size. (We were a party of 3 and didn't feel at all cramped.) The breakfast was good and abundant. (The breakfast room was way too small, but we just took our food back to the room to eat.) It was, indeed, convenient to both the historic area and the visitor center. The desk clerk was enthusiastic and helpful. Lots of hot water in the bathroom with good water pressure.

A few minor issues -- the bedding was a bit coarse, the elevator smelled musty. And one HUGE issue. The noise.

And no, I'm not talking about the train. We knew about the train, and it wasn't really an issue -- every couple of hours a train went by and there was some noise for about 20 seconds. I'm talking about the air conditioning! You lie down to go to sleep. The a/c coughs and bangs for a few seconds, and comes on with a rushing roar. After about 10 mintues you're just getting used to the loud 'white noise' and it bangs and chokes and cuts out again. Five minutes later the cycle repeats. All night. (Until/unless you turn it off, and then you wake up at 3 a.m. bathed in sweat.) We didn't get much sleep.
(At check-out I mentioned the problem to the clerk, who asked me if I'd reported it earlier. I said no, that I figured it was just the way the system was, and there was nothing they could do. She sort of nodded and smiled -- I guess they get this complaint a lot, and there ISN"T anything they can do.)

So, seriously, pick up a packet of earplugs on your way into town, and enjoy the best hotel deal in Williamsburg.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DreamTraveller2
Lorton, Virginia
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We had friends taking advantage of a Colonial Williamsburg package so we booked the same hotel to be in the same location.

While this is clearly an older hotel, it is well maintained and within an easy walk to the Historic District on the Merchant's Square side. I was SO happy that I didn't have to deal with parking and shuttle buses from the Visitor's Center.

Of course no hotel is perfect and this one was no exception. The rooms were small. As two adults, we felt cramped but ok. I have no idea how a family with kids and suitcases fit in one of these rooms -- but there were kids everywhere so they were coping somehow. (Note the rooms were well soundproofed and you never heard kids running around.) Breakfast was the disappointment in several ways. First, Colonial Williamsburg sells this WONDERFUL gingerbread in the Bakery -- but it wasn't offered with the free continental breakfast nor could I buy it at the hotel. Second, was the rubbery hardboiled eggs (which I didn't think was possible) served still in the shell so you had to deal with trying to peel the eggs. Finally, the space was simply too small for the number of guest trying to eat breakfast.

If I stay here again (which is likely given the location), I'll skip breakfast at the hotel and head straight for the Bakery.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Gingerbread at breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IndiTravler
Cumberland, MD
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We stayed at the Govornor's Inn during our recent weekend trip to Colonial Williamsburg. We booked this hotel as a package deal including Length of Stay tickets, and felt it was a pretty good deal for the area. The hotel check in was easy and when arriving at the room we were pleasantly surprised, with some negative reviews we didnt know what to expect. The room had two double beds, tv, alarm clock, coffee maker, iron and ironing board, and hairdryer. This was a very basic room. The room was clean, not spotless, but we were happy with it. If a cracked tile or a few spots here and there bother you, you probably would not be happy. When I booked the hotel I requested to be away from the train tracks and in a newer room. We did not hear the train the whole time we were there. We did not swim in the pool but we walked by it several times and it appeared to be clean and nice. The continental breakfast was nice with boxed cereal, danish, donuts, bagels, english muffins, yogurt, fruit, milk, juice, coffee, tea, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal (instant). It was enough to get us going each day. This hotel is very close to CW visitors center, but you do have to drive and park at the visitors center to catch a shuttle. Overall we were pleased with this hotel and would stay here again.

Tip: There are CW travel mugs available for purchase in the hotel lobby, your room (they bill you if you use them), as well as the CW restaurants that refill them. They are $10 and include free refills for 2007. Most drinks in CW are $2 a piece so if you will be there more than a day you will probably get your moneys worth. We bought one and felt it was a great deal for us.

Stayed June 2007
7 Thank Summer C
Swanquarter, North Carolina
Reviewed June 15, 2007

Stayed here weekend of June 8th-10th. Got there on Friday evening, check in was easy. Was told by person my cousin and I booked this property with that this was a newly renovated room and that it had new queen sized beds. Imagine what we found... Room was just like Basset Motel without a coffee maker, fridge or microwave. 2 double beds. Room looked like it was swept out instead of vacuumed. Bathroom had zero room. I usually don't complain but for nearly 200$$ for two nights, I wasn't happy. This also included two passes for Colonial Williamsburg, but I had made it clear we were not going to be using them... so it makes me wonder how much this room would cost without the passes... 79.99 was way too much for so little.

There is good news though.....

Like I said, check in was a breeze.
Everyone was super nice.
The train was not a problem, we were right next to the tracks.
Beautiful area for a motel.
And best of all, eventhough I do not like to complain so loudly... the manager gave us a discount without any hassel. He said that it sounded like we were given a description of another motel within Colonial Williamsburg and he was very sorry about that.

Would I stay here again? Only if I am going to explore Colonial Williamsburg.... not if I am going on a Busch Gardens/Water Country trip. So I could see in the Pre-season staying here again.

Overall... after getting over the sticker shock, it was okay.

If I didn't know anything at all about Williamsburg and the various hotel/motels in the area, I probably wouldn't have known any better....

But it was nice to hear the birds singing first thing in the mornings..... So stay here... it is nice. I am just a very picky person.

• Liked — The location. Near everything. Very peaceful and quiet even with the train.
  • Disliked — The price of the room.
  • Stayed June 2007
4 Thank hydencgirl
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed June 12, 2007

The Governor's Inn staff was extremely helpful and very nice. The rooms are typical for an econmical hotel--along the same line as a Days Inn or a Comfort Inn. Housekeeping kept us stocked with towels and all of the basics. The breakfast had a decent variety for continental but I do suggest planning ahead and getting there early due to the eating area becoming packed. There is an upstairs level but it was not always open. The pool is a nice size and was very well kept. Also the walk to CW is only about three blocks and we made it to the Governor's Palace within ten minutes. The walk is safe and not all that bad.

Over all, we felt this hotel met all of our needs and we will definitely consider staying here in the future. It is definitely budget friendly and is centrally located (Richmond Road is a short 5 minute drive from the hotel).

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — the dining area for breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank MSLuv2travel10
Madison
Reviewed June 6, 2007

We stayed for 4 nights. Rate was very good, people were friendly and location is close to the Colonial area. (easy drive, bit far to walk).
Breakfast had a good spread. On busy days, the small room size made for crowding.
Rooms are comparable in size and furnishing to a super 8 level but clean.
As in other destination regions, you only use the room to sleep so size and amenities are not so important.
The large pool was a bonus.
We would stay again.
Very important----Request to stay away from the rail tracks.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple