“Good value and great location!”

Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #35 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

My family and I spent 3 nights at this establishment this past weekend. It is nothing fancy but it was a good place to stay as it was cheap and is in a great location. You can walk to colonial Williamsburg and it is a short drive to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. Shuttle service is also offered to these locations free of charge.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank jpk05

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Governor's Inn while visiting Williamsburg. The low price was the biggest attraction for us. It's very close to Colonial Williamsburg, and, if you are coming by train or by bus, the hotel is literally around the corner from the Williamsburg Transportation Center. There is free hourly shuttle service to the Williamsburg Visitor's Center,as well as Busch Gardens and Water Country USA, which continues to run until an hour after the parks close. The people at the front desk were friendly, and we enjoyed the free continental breakfast. However, the dining area does get pretty crowded mid-morning, so please keep that in mind. Our room was clean and satisfactory. The maid service did leave something to be desired with respect to stocking of toilet paper and tissues, and I had to go out and raid the maid's unattended cart for more supplies. The pool is large and clean, but, truth be told, we spent little time in our room, since we were out either at Colonial Williamsburg or the amusement parks. If you are looking for basic, low-cost accomdations for a family, conveniently-located to most of the major attractions in the area, I think that this would be a good choice.

2  Thank Dana72
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel is a great value. A Resort of Colonial Williamsburg at more than half the price with still all the amenities of staying" on property". Discounts on tickets. Dinner reservations. Has a nice outdoor pool. Provides a full continential breakfast FREE of Charge More than enough to get you started to a day of fun, Shuttle buses stop right on the property to Busch Gardens, Jamestown and of course Colonial Williamsburg. However, driving over to the visitors center is less than two miles The staff at the desk are more than helpful with directions and dinner suggestions. Many restaurants less than five miles away. The rooms are very clean and cleaned daily. It has plenty of free parking and very easy to access. Will come back next year and will stay same hotel

Room Tip: So here is your first decision. This hotel is located near the Amtrak station, There is a 2am train...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Fingerlakes09
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I was a little leery about staying here after reading the reviews, but couldn't beat the $70/night price which included breakfast. And a stay of 3 or more days included length of stay complimentary tickets for Williamsburg, plus preference on dining reservations and price breaks on extras like a carriage ride. I was pleasantly surprised at the size and cleanliness of our room. Yes, the hotel exterior and exterior stairs are showing their age, but who cares? The inside of the room is what counts, and we found it pleasant, clean and plenty roomy. The fridge and ironing board were welcome touches, and the housekeeping was quick to respond with a request for additional towels. Breakfast was fine - though after several days in a row was a little boring as the choices never change. All in all, we liked it enough (and loved Williamsburg so much!) that we extended our stay and ended up spending 5 nights at Governor's Inn. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a travel value!

4  Thank trippinKYfamily
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Upon reading some of the reviews, I was not quite sure what to expect....some 1 stars, some 5 stars. We arrived on our HD about half an hr before check-in. We were greeted by a very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful front desk girl. Our room was ready (she was even able to move us from 2nd floor to 1st floor). The room was very clean, nice linens, very good a/c. (100 degrees for our 3 day stay). Breakfast was filling...waffles, bagels, english muffins, donuts, pastries, cereal, grits, oatmeal, yogurt, juices. I've had way worse "continentals". Our 3 day stay entitled us to a free 3 day pass to Colonial Williamsburg. The free shuttle bus from the
Visitors Center was nice. Coming back to use the pool in the afternoon was wonderful . The pillows are fluffy, the bed was sleepable (of course it's not home). This is the 4th hotel we've been to in the last 10 days (we were to Falling Water, Erie, Gettysburg, and here). It has been the least expensive.......and definitely the best of the 4. Would definitely recommend this to my friends.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tonannie
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My mom and I had this booked for one night. Our plan was to visit Jamestown during the day and then see some of the night time events at Colonial Williamsburg. After having a good time at Jamestown we checked into the hotel. The front desk was friendly and we had no problem checking in. We didn't look around much when checking in as we were in a hurry to get to Colonial Williamsburg. Just noted that the room was very basic (which I was expecting and didn't have a problem with) and did not smell very good. We figured we would just buy some air freshener and make do for the night. After getting back to the hotel late that evening we noticed that the room was not very clean. The sink area had not been wiped down and the ice tray had hair on it. The floor area between the beds and the bed and the wall was filthy - lots of crumbs and even a cigarette lighter! The worst part was the smell. Even the air freshener could not mask it. It smelled very unclean and was just not bearable. We took our belongings and drove off to find a different hotel. I have never been in a hotel before that was so bad I couldn't even stay the night. I would definitely not recommend this hotel. I was very surprised that a hotel associated with Colonial Williamsburg would be this poorly maintained.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Governor's Inn for 3 nights. We had a room with 2 double beds for 2 adults and 2 children. The rooms were clean, the staff attentive and the breakfast okay. The beds were hard as rocks and the pillows were not comfortable to me nor my husband. All that said, for a short trip it was very bearable. We love Williamsburg and have stayed at MANY properties around the area. Although we preferred the Woodlands it wasn't horrible at the Governor's Inn. The pool was very nice. I saw security cruise by several times keeping an eye on things too. The benefits to staying at any Williamsburg foundation hotel are always a plus. If it hadn't been so extremely hot we would have walked to most things in the historic area but it is also right around the corner from the Visitor Center so we drove there and bused in to where ever we wanted to go. AC was great too and rooms have a small fridge. Ice is also available though machines look a little worse for wear.

Room Tip: "Take your own pillows"