“Great staff”

Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Winter Park, FL
“Great staff”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I booked the Governor's Inn for a week's stay during the Christmas season. I had always stayed at another place, so I was little apprehensive. I must say that our experience was very good. The place is a little older, but has been kept up very nicely. The rooms are clean and the staff is excellent. We had a problem one night when the people next to our room were smoking up a storm and the smell was soon seeping in our room and we could not sleep(plus they were loud - though we got an unexpected show about their private life). The staff confirmed and then offered us a room at a more expensive place, but we declined as the people were checking out. The staff was there and airing it out within minutes. The hotel can't control their guests, but they did respond to the situation.

All in all, a great stay and the location was excellent.

Just a note...I believe a lot of hotels aways clump all their guests in one area whether they need to or not, but....I wish they could spread out the guests when there are not many guests in the hotel. Two nights of our stay there were few guests, but we were all congregated in the same place. I know it is a little more convenient for housekeeping, but it would have helped avoid the problem we had had they put at least a room between us. The rooms are not soundproofed very well, but fortunately, most of the guests were considerate and quiet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank R W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Florida
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I just love historic Williamsburg. My husband & I, & my mother stayed the day after Thanksgiving Day 2011 for one evening. I originally tried to book the top 3 listed on tripadvisor motel/hotels but they were all booked, but very happy that it worked out by booking a room at the Governor's Inn. I was a little bit hesitant to stay here based on the low price & some of the reviews, in addition I wanted it to be nice for my mother (which can be difficult to please), but thought it was worth the risk for just one night. I booked two rooms, which were attached. The rooms were very nice & clean, & I found it very quiet & a pretty property. My mother was also pleased which was a relief. We were very satisfied w/the continental breakfast that was included w/the great low price of the rooms. It is within walking distance to the historic sites but it would be a long walk so I would recommend a car. I would not hesitate to stay again. Note: There is no refrigerator so bring a cooler if you need to keep food cool.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank dinoenzo
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Although this is an older facility w/basic room, you can walk to Colonial Williamsburg. The staff was quick to rectify the bumps we had so the price was right and location is everything, particularly around the holidays

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Westminster
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Great stay at a reasonable price within 3 blocks of Colonial Williamsburg. The place was clean, the breakfast adequate; has a La Quinta feel and quality to it (and we love LQ). We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room in 6500 area.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
king, nc
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed at the Governor's Inn during the Thanksgiving holiday. While it's not the Ritz, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was very cordial, and the locations was very convenient to walking in the historic village. There was coffee and other beverages available in the coffee shop, and the complimentary breakfast bar had a good variety of choices. Overall, it was a good experience, and we would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Parrish, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2011

In late October 2012, we stayed for four days at the Governor Inn in Williamsburg. The staff were all quite friendly, very helpful and pleasant. The continental breakfast was more than acceptable; dining room was clean and kept up during breakfast. The room rate was very reasonable and a quiet location with the exception of the occasional train.

Because we stayed four days, we received our tickets to the historical sites for free. It is approximately a seven minute walk to Merchants Square. Our room was acceptable, it did need some more substantial cleaning, lots of things were dated, many structurally.

It would be nice if the historical bus would stop at this location instead of having to drive to the visitor’s center or walk. We plan on staying here again in April/2012.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2011

The Governor's inn was a very old basic hotel that reminded me of an older motel 6 on the outskirts of towns. The bathroom was very clean but the carpet was very old and the room really smelled bad. I was not sure if it used to be a smoking room that they converted but forgot to take out the rug or if it was just really musty. The employees were very nice and helpful and the continental breakfast was the usual cheaper hotel breakfast fare. The Governor's inn was close to Williamsberg within walking distance and it was the cheapest of the several hotels owned by Colonial Williamsberg so we decided to stay there. The price is comparable to several nice hotels not that much further away and since it rained heavily while we were there we ended up driving anyways so next time we will stay elsewhere. It is convienient location wise but I think I would pass it up if you like a little cleaner place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends