The Original Ghosts of Williamsburg Candlelight Tour
Ranked #7 of 23 Tours in Williamsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: As the second oldest ghost tour in the USA, The Original Ghosts of Williamsburg Candlelight Walking Tour stands above all others as the most authentic and successful ghost tour in Williamsburg. Our exclusive copyrighted research and writings our tours are based on verifiable facts and actual hauntings, not fabricated tales or unsourced stories. Our seasoned and mature guides are talented and entertaining storytellers who bring the hauntings to life, drawing guests into the experience with them. Paranormal events do happen on our tours, and we will take you to secret locations where the hauntings are likely to occur. So be sure to bring a camera along with your courage! Our 30 year old, 90 minute family friendly Original Ghost Tour meets at the William & Mary Bookstore in Merchants Square. In 2012 we launched the first late night adult ghost tour, the EXTREMELY successful Extreme Tour. This 2 hour tour is for ghost lovers who like being scared. The Extreme Tour meets at Bruton Parish Church. Our guides proudly carry lanterns but we won’t dress up and play act or hype ourselves then fail to deliver what we promise. For the last three decades we have toured many thousands of happy guests who return year after year, knowing that nobody does a ghost tour like we do. After all, we invented them! Authentic stories, small groups, talented storytellers with a genuine love of entertaining, coupled with reasonable prices make us the most enduring and elite ghost tour in Williamsburg. Don’t take our word for it. Check out our website to view hundreds of genuine testimonials and breathtaking pictures. After all, “seeing is believing!”
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was a wonderful tour...our guide Bill had great information to share and the stories were great! Make sure to bring your camera!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Before I go into detail on the 'Extreme Tour' I need to emphasize to BRING YOUR CAMERA. No, not your phone. An actual camera... you'll thank me later.

I am skeptic but am open to all considerations. I am no ghost hunter but still love the thought of maybe being surprised. Not only do you hear ghost stories, you will hear quite a bit about the history of Williamsburg. Most of which is either humorous or tragic.

Tonight, 9/14/13, I took the 'Extreme Tour' and my tour guide was named Willie.

Willie was very knowledgeable of the area haunts and the stories behind them. The walk was longer than 1.5 hours but it was well worth it. We started at the Church and there were about 30ish people there. There were a total of three guides which allowed us to be divided into smaller groups. I was the only person who went by myself.

Many photos were taken and most have phenomena that cannot be explained. The guides emphasize that this tour is strictly for entertainment and there are no special effects. They are right. They do not guarantee that you will see anything but there's a 99% chance that your camera will catch something that you cannot see. The extreme tour is not for younger children as it does go pretty late into the night and there is quite a bit of walking.

If you are open to hear stories and enjoy a beautiful and informative walk, $15 (Online payment only for the Extreme Tour) is money well spent.

The original tour is cheaper and earlier. Please check their website for photos, testimonials and for more info. When going to meet for the tour, meet in front of the Parish Church... not by the store. They will call you if you are not there for your reservation to make sure that you are in the right place. Enjoy!

1  Thank Krys5150
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I am extremely hard to please, but I was very impressed with our tour. Clare was our guide, and she pointed out many interesting facts about each building. My sister-in-law and I wanted to walk in the yard and go up and touch the "red house". I took many pictures the night we went, but I did not notice anything until the fourth time that I viewed them. In one of the pictures I took at the "red house", it looks as though there is a man in Colonial clothes. Several of my friends think they see other faces around him. I hope to do this tour again!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was a good experience for the first time in williamsburg, I am a non-believer/ sceptic so as some of the reviews have mentioned it was more of a history lesson for me then anything. The tour guide Clare also made it interesting in her style of storytelling, and if you do believe in the paranormal then I recommend this tour with her as your tour guide.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We were a group of adults who wanted to take the not-for-kids “extreme” tour that this company offers on weekends but were in Williamsburg on a weeknight, so we ended up on the “original” tour. If you’re interested in investing a couple of hours to hear some fun and interesting historical tidbits and local folklore, then this tour is a nice way to spend an evening. If you’re seriously into ghosts and are expecting some genuine paranormal encounters, however, you will be sorely disappointed. The “original” tour advertises itself as “family friendly” and it very much is. In fact, I felt that our guide catered a bit too much to the children in the crowd. But the kids ate it up--and I’m sure parents who signed up for the tour out of desperation for some way to entertain their children for the evening felt their money well spent. Those of us who were exclusively adult parties looking for a bit more adult oriented entertainment, however, found ourselves bored after about a half hour, which is unfortunate on a nearly two hour tour. The guide was very enthusiastic and had a lot of energy, but her stories seemed to get longer and more drawn out as the tour went on. Several times, we contemplated sneaking away from the group and going into the bar across the street from the bookstore where the tour meets. We held out hoping that the stories would get shorter, juicier, and more engaging. Afterward, however, we unanimously agreed that if we had it to do over again, we definitely would have went AWOL and gone to the bar. This isn’t to say that the tour is bad. To the contrary, as I said, if you’re into family friendly history and need to entertain the kids for the evening, you are the ideal demographic and will likely enjoy it. The stories may not be scary, but they’re definitely better than the ones they tell during the daytime historical tours of Colonial Williamsburg, and at $11 per head, quite the bargain over the $40 you have to pay to get the watered down daytime version of American history. That said, I certainly emphasize, as our guide did, that this tour is for entertainment purposes, and wouldn’t rely on the historical accuracy of many of the stories told. A lot of them seemed to have gaping holes or contained a series of illogical events that screamed urban legend. Unlike other ghost tours on which the guides actually encourage their crowds to be a bit skeptical, our guide seemed overly excited about the prospect of ghost encounters. So called “faces” were pointed out on an obelisk in a church cemetery and inferred to be supernatural without any disclosure that, psychologically, the human mind naturally attempts to detect faces in images. It also seemed that every single orb caught on camera was a ghost, according to our guide, even though I caught several “orbs” that were obviously insects upon closer inspection. Overall, if you’re a family looking for a fun alternative to spending an evening watching television in a cramped hotel room, this tour is a great option. If you’re a grownup looking for grownup fun after a day that makes you feel like you’re about to OD on American history, however, you’ll probably think your $11 better spent on a drink.

1  Thank Just4Fun1103