“Great Location, newly renovated”

Courtyard Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Lovely, convenient place to stay in the Williamsburg area. Very close to interstate, Busch Gardens, Historic area, yet tucked away in a quiet wooded area off Rt 60. Room was excellent, hotel was recently renovated and is modern, clean and very comfortable. Great wifi service in room and common areas. Computers available if needed. Bedding was very comfortable and high end. Small Bistro with relatively healthy food choices, though very limited. Starbucks coffee. Only negative was very bad attitude of food service worker. Would certainly stay here again, overall excellent stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Barbara B

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting the Williamsburg area. The staff were all very helpful and the Bistro was a good place to grab breakfast. They also had dinner and happy hour, but we did not sample those. The location is very close to Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Jamestown and York Town. I would recommend it if you are in the area. They also have packages which include passes to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA

1  Thank Michael L
Reviewed September 10, 2013

In 2007 and 2011, I visited Williamsburg and stayed at the Holiday Inn on Bypass Road. Even though on both occasions that hotel was ranked number 1 on TA (and is still ranked in the top 5 now), I was not happy with it for a variety of reasons, as explained in the TA review I wrote about that hotel in 2011.

This year, I decided to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott, as one of our stops was Busch Gardens, which is just over a mile away from the Courtyard. Also, I like the old style Courtyards, which were actually built around Courtyards (I don't know why Marriott bothers calling the new ones Courtyards, as they don't have courtyards and look like any other hotel). I am glad that I made the switch to the Courtyard, as it beats the Holiday Inn hands down.

There are a number of things to really like about the Courtyard, including (1) the total makeover of all rooms and hallways earlier this year, in addition to the new lobby/Bistro/business center which was added in the past year or so; (2) an indoor/outdoor pool; (3) plenty of parking (you will read about parking space shortages in TA reviews of other hotels in Williamsburg); (4) excellent housekeeping (didn't see any spots on sheets or towels); (5) a friendly and helpful staff who went out of its way to help me find a king room in a good location; and (6) close proximity to Busch Gardens and Water Country, in a relatively quiet business park. It is also a relatively short drive from the Courtyard to Colonial Williamsburg.

I did find a few minor problems that kept me from giving the Courtyard 5 stars, including (1) they did not add a ceiling fan in the bathroom as part of the renovations, (2) they did not install thermostats or wall controls as part of the renovations, so it is impossible to tell what the room temperature is or to set the temperature at a particular level (the old-style Courtyard I use all of the time in Kentucky has started switching over to wall-mounted thermostats, so I know it can be done), (3) there is too much space on the bottom and sides of the room door, which lets in noise and light, (4) the foam pillows had very little support, even though almost brand new, and (5) there was nobody working the bistro area when we arrived on the first night and wanted to eat something right away. I would also note that on several occasions on half of the nights I was there, I was awakened at odd hours by slamming doors. I don't think they were deliberately slammed, but some of the rooms apparently don't have any mechanism to slow down the door speed - in contrast, my room door often did not close on its own, so I had to be careful to make sure it really was closed and locked.

Some people complain about the fact that Courtyards do not include free breakfasts, but anyone wanting a cheap and quick breakfast can get one almost directly across the street at McDonald's, which was never particularly busy on any morning I was there. The Courtyard is also close to a Wendy's and KFC/Taco Bell, and has several sit-down restaurants nearby, including the Whaling Company which is within walking distance.

Room Tip: The most quiet rooms are those facing the Courtyard and outdoor pool. The rooms that are probably t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GoPenguins
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I was celebrating our 20th anniversary. 3-11 shift was the best. We ask questions and they went a extra mile to help us. We would most definitely stay again. Housekeeping was on there job. Room stayed clean and whenever we needed something they would come right away. Thanks courtyard Marriott really appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank fcgaither
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The employees of this hotel are doing a great job of maintaining the new feel of this hotel. The rooms are so clean and the front desk staff are so friendly. The renovations have definitely given the hotel an extra spark of energy.
As usual, we enjoyed the pool and the hot tub. Clean and not crowded.
We did get to try the new Bistro this time and it was really good. The breakfast platters were cooked to order. Hot and fresh. And the portions were very generous. Well worth the "hotel" prices as we were all stuffed when we finished breakfast. Again, the staff in the Bistro were extremely friendly. I'd be open to trying their dinner options but we haven't had the opportunity. If so, we'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again for making our extended weekend an enjoyable one.
....
I would like to note that at check in they were a little busy. From out of no where came an additional front desk assistant and a manager to quickly move people along. The manager actually took the extra time to make sure we were in the room requested and did it all with a huge smile on her face. We felt very welcomed and that is a great feeling when checking into a hotel. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CMF_Travels
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We loved staying at this property after spending the day at Busch Gardens. The room was clean and comfortable. The kids loved the indoor/outdoor pool and being able to swim from one to the other. The front desk staff was incredibly helpful. The price was perfect for our budget. We will definitely stay here again!

1  Thank TravelMama0406
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here in the middle of August 2013 with extended family. We rented out 4 rooms for all of us, and the hotel was very accommodating. They gave us all four rooms across the hall from one another. We used the pool--no frills but nice. We also used the outdoor patio area one night when we ordered pizza for all 13 of us. It was clean and pleasant. The hotel is a very easy drive (within 5 minutes) of Colonial Williamsburg's visitor center and Busch Gardens. It was quick and easy to get to off of the interstate. I would definitely recommend this hotel as a good, basic hotel with little frills for families.