I am a road warrior by profession and only stay at Marriott brand. I have experience with every brand from Fairfield to Marriott full service. We selected the Residence Inn in Williamsburg because I wanted a 2 bedroom suite for a 8 night stay with a family of 6.
We arrived for the big snow of Christmas 2010, which was a challenge for the local hotels. The first comment is that this Residence did more than other hotels that I noticed on making the parking lot accessible. Other hotels seem to do little or nothing in the way of clearing snow. The staff also had to endure longer hours and travel issues. They passed the test well!
Staff: The staff was as good as you get unless you go to a full service Marriott.
Room: Was very big, clean, somewhat modern furnishings, and had a gas fireplace as an unexpected bonus. Kitchen was well-stocked. I liked the layout design as well. On the con side, it was not new feeling and should be remodeled soon. E.g., bathrooms recaulked, cracks fixed, etc. The only other con is that the TVs are tube, not flat panel. Most Marriotts I stay in are now flat panels screens.
Breakfast: Was typical for Residence Inn, and better than most Fairfield Inns. The food was hot and they maintained it well through the morning. ADDED BONUS: One morning a Williamsburg costumed character came in and interacted with everyone in the dining room. I thought that was awesome, and totally unexpected. Breakfast is free, which you should factor into the price when comparing to other hotels that charge for breakfast.
Noise: I never heard any external room noises in the 1 week. I did notice in the hallway, though, that a dog was barking in a room. Make sure that they do not put you near barking dogs.
Location: It is not walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg, but you can walk to a few places to eat. Colonial Williamsburg and Bush Gardens are close, though. In all, it is a great location unless you want to walk a bit. But for a 2 bedroom suite of that size, I did not consider the Williamsburg hotels an option.
Other: Wish they had an indoor pool; needed a bigger dining area; they did not have the typical cookies out at night, which is odd for Residence Inns that I have stayed. Daily housekeeping was great. Full kitchen was excellent. Lacked a tourist channel for cable and the HBO channel did not work, though they gave you a guide for it.
If the hotel was more modern/updated, it deserved a 5 star. There is no way it deserves a 3 star. This is a 4 star hotel for this class of a hotel. If you have a bigger family and on a budget, this hotel is the best way to go.
Side Note: The Springhill Suites across the parking lot is owned by the same management company. They are a good option as well. We stayed there the first night and switched to Residence for the bigger suite. They had cookies at night and cable channels that the Reisdence did not have. They also did not seem to clear that side of the parking lot of snow as well. I thought that was odd since they are the same management company.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Inn by Marriott is Williamsburg's' premier long-term, pet-friendly hotel. Located in the heart of Williamsburg on acres of green space, we are adjacent to a local recreation center, park and community walking trail thus allowing our guest to enjoy the normal pace of life while on business or pleasure. Also within walking distance are numerous restaurants, shopping and local attractions. Our breakfast buffet is offered 7 days a week and includes all the favorites from home made waffles to eggs and bacon. We also have a wonderful social hour Tuesday through Thursday that offers the guest a light dinner or dessert to finish off their day. The Residence Inn is Williamsburg "newest" hotel due to our wonderful enhancements and remodeling that include: New lobby and breakfast area with built in buffets, granite countertops, dining tables and chairs; new community table seating for guest traveling alone or in pairs; new in-room stainless steel appliances (refrigerators, microwaves, cook tops, ovens and dishwashers), granite countertops in kitchen and bath: updated living room furniture, large work station and new bedding. The New Residence Williamsburg provides all the comforts of home with the luxury of up-scale accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotwire, Marriott, Priceline, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Residence Inn Williamsburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg
- Williamsburg Residence Inn