New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Residence Inn Williamsburg

Residence Inn Williamsburg
Ranked #36 of 80 Hotels in Williamsburg
Elkin, NC
“Great for family with teens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I am a road warrior by profession and only stay at Marriott brand. I have experience with every brand from Fairfield to Marriott full service. We selected the Residence Inn in Williamsburg because I wanted a 2 bedroom suite for a 8 night stay with a family of 6.

We arrived for the big snow of Christmas 2010, which was a challenge for the local hotels. The first comment is that this Residence did more than other hotels that I noticed on making the parking lot accessible. Other hotels seem to do little or nothing in the way of clearing snow. The staff also had to endure longer hours and travel issues. They passed the test well!

Staff: The staff was as good as you get unless you go to a full service Marriott.

Room: Was very big, clean, somewhat modern furnishings, and had a gas fireplace as an unexpected bonus. Kitchen was well-stocked. I liked the layout design as well. On the con side, it was not new feeling and should be remodeled soon. E.g., bathrooms recaulked, cracks fixed, etc. The only other con is that the TVs are tube, not flat panel. Most Marriotts I stay in are now flat panels screens.

Breakfast: Was typical for Residence Inn, and better than most Fairfield Inns. The food was hot and they maintained it well through the morning. ADDED BONUS: One morning a Williamsburg costumed character came in and interacted with everyone in the dining room. I thought that was awesome, and totally unexpected. Breakfast is free, which you should factor into the price when comparing to other hotels that charge for breakfast.

Noise: I never heard any external room noises in the 1 week. I did notice in the hallway, though, that a dog was barking in a room. Make sure that they do not put you near barking dogs.

Location: It is not walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg, but you can walk to a few places to eat. Colonial Williamsburg and Bush Gardens are close, though. In all, it is a great location unless you want to walk a bit. But for a 2 bedroom suite of that size, I did not consider the Williamsburg hotels an option.

Other: Wish they had an indoor pool; needed a bigger dining area; they did not have the typical cookies out at night, which is odd for Residence Inns that I have stayed. Daily housekeeping was great. Full kitchen was excellent. Lacked a tourist channel for cable and the HBO channel did not work, though they gave you a guide for it.

If the hotel was more modern/updated, it deserved a 5 star. There is no way it deserves a 3 star. This is a 4 star hotel for this class of a hotel. If you have a bigger family and on a budget, this hotel is the best way to go.

Side Note: The Springhill Suites across the parking lot is owned by the same management company. They are a good option as well. We stayed there the first night and switched to Residence for the bigger suite. They had cookies at night and cable channels that the Reisdence did not have. They also did not seem to clear that side of the parking lot of snow as well. I thought that was odd since they are the same management company.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank John L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

We stayed at the Residence Inn over the Thanksgiving Holiday and had a great time at this hotel. We were greeted with warm chocolate chip cookies and beverages when checking in and when they ran out - were quick to offer more. In the evenings they have lite dinners in the dining area, that night because so many people were arriving they extended the time it was being served. Who could ask for more. The staff was wonderful, the manager was charming and was always hands on with the breakfasts and during the day.
We traveled with our Sheltie Shadow and from my experience there is no better place to stay then a Residence Inn with your pet. There were so many other dogs there they should start doggie socials at night! There were many places to walk your dog on the grounds and a nice wooded area adjacent to the parking lot which was great for walks. I would definitely stay again at this hotel. It was clean, comfortable, quiet and you truly felt like a guest in someone's home rather then staying at a hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank merlemom
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We have been staying at the Williamsburg Residence Inn each Christmas for the pass 10 years or so. We have always been satisfied with the accommodations and staff. But this year they went beyond the call of duty. We had the largest snow storm in Williamsburg's history for Christmas. We were supposed to leave on Monday but had to stay over an extra day because of the road conditions. The hotel honored the rate we had when we checked in for the extra night, which was about $30 lower than the online rate at that time. They don't usually serve lunch, but they prepared a cold sandwich and salad bar for those of us who could not get out.

This hotel allows dogs and I would make a suggestion that they be put on one floor rather than on separate floors. When we checked in I requested that we be put on a floor without dogs and we were put on the 4th floor where she said there were no dogs. But before we checked out, there were several dogs located on that floor. The hotel is large enough that it seems to me all those with dogs could be housed on the first floor. But other than for this small detail, everything else was great.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

This is the second year in a row we've stayed here over the Thanksgiving holiday, and we had just as wonderful of a time this year as we did last year. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and the room was extremely clean. Our room was quiet and dark, and I had no trouble sleeping. One of my favorite things about the room was that the kitchen/living room area was separated from the bedroom by a door. So when we wanted to sleep, we could close the bedroom door and not have to worry about any noise or light coming from the hallway. It also meant my husband could get up earlier than me and have breakfast and read the newspaper in the kitchen without waking me up. Breakfast was good, with a lot of selections. The hot selections changed each morning, and there was a waffle maker, cereals, bagels, muffins and a variety of yogurts and fresh fruit. The hotel manager was in the lobby area every morning and interacted with all the guests, making sure they were having a good time. On Thanksgiving night, they had all sorts of pies and ice cream in the lobby, which was a really nice treat. The staff all seemed happy-- no one seemed upset they were working on a holiday. We had one small problem with our toilet not flushing properly, but they assured me they would have someone fix it immediately, and they weren't kidding! They had a maintenence man to the room almost faster than I could get back to my room. He fixed everything right away, and was helpful and pleasant, and this was on Thanksgiving day! I was extremely impressed with the hotel's staff-- everyone from manager, to front desk staff, to cleaning and maintenence were all friendly, helpful and happy. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sillyyorkie
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

No one was at the desk at check in. Another employee had to get the desk clerk out of the office. Furniture was uncomfortable. Commode seat was loose. We reported it but no one fixed it. We lost water one day. When I made my online reservation I specifically requested upper floor. They must have ignored my request because the desk clerk said we were on first. She did change it to third floor.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I finally got to go away alone together and we decided to stay here because of the full kitchen and location. The room was clean except that the tub looked a little dingy. When we checked in we were advised that an incidental hold charge would be put on our card of $25 a night, we only stayed 2 nights so it totalled $50, we checked in on a Friday night and checked out early Sunday morning. Monday morning I found that another $110 was put on hold on my card and when we inquired about it we were told it was more incidental fee's which were not explained to us and certainly didn't make sense considering they were now saying that $160 was held for incidentals...Tuesday morning we woke up to find that yet another $90 was put on hold on our account and dated Mondays date, remember, we hadn't been there since Sunday...so now they are holding $260 on our card which adds up to more than the room cost for both nights. Our friends and I were going to come back next year with our families and stay in a 2 bedroom suite, definitely not now!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Fort Washington, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

Enjoyed full kitchen, especially full size refrig. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast was ok but needs improvement on starting on time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple