“Great room and services”

Residence Inn Williamsburg
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at this property for a outing - the room was clean and spacious, the food (breakfast and happy hour) was okay, and the location was central to where we were going. The only down side was that in the evening kids were running up and down the halls. That was the only downside.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank R K
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Williamsburg

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stayed here for two nights with our dog. We arrived in town early and stopped by to let the front desk know. We asked that they called us when the room was ready. No one ever called. We returned at 3:00 pm and they had given away all the rooms liked the one we booked so we received a one bedroom suite. Lots of room so we were very happy. Everything was clean and modern except the bathtub/shower combo.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank principali
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed just 1 night. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean, only had an issue with the kitchen. There was someone else's garbage left under the kitchen cabinet, we called the front desk but no one ever came up and disposed of it. :(
When we got into the room, the heat was on at 78.. we happened to be staying the night of a 100 degree heat wave. We changed the thermostat and it was then fine.
The outdoor pool was very clean and a decient size. It does allow hotel guests from the hotel across the parking lot to use it.
The contential breakfast was good, had a variety of different things, eggs, sausage, cereals, oatmeal, make your own waffles, yogurts, fruit, coffee, tea, milk, juice, bagels, toast, etc.
Overall again we only stayed 1 night.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I don't recommend this hotel at all. I have to stay in a hotel with a full kitchen so that limits my choices. We frequently stay in Residence Inns in other cities without problems. They aren't modern or fancy, but they are usually clean and get the job done. Not this one in Williamsburg, VA.

The first trip we stayed here was OK. There were dirty knives in the drawers and they were fully booked and we did not get maid service one day (had to call to get clean towels at least), but overall it was OK.

The second trip was awful. This is a pet friendly hotel and we had a barking dog that barked late at night and early in the morning in the room next door. The hotel was full of pets - I saw people even take them into the breakfast area. Also, the master bathroom floor was dirty and the master bathroom shower had a slow drain and you ended up standing in 3 inches of water while you showered. Again all of the silverware in the drawers was not clean and we had to ask to get things you are supposed to get automatically like dish rags and dishwasher detergent.

I complained to Marriott and they called and offered us some free nights. We already had a trip planned to Williamsburg again so I took them up on their offer. This third trip was the worst and our last to this hotel ever. Again the master bathroom floor was dirty, there was hair on the toilet seat, the silverware wasn't clean, the outside of the refrigerator was extremely dirty around the door handle and there was a large rock in the middle of the kitchen floor - all of these cleanliness issues are very obvious if anyone was taking care at all. Again we had to ask for things like enough towels each day (we had 6 people staying there), and dishwasher soap and dishrags. The final and worst straw was our final night the fire alarm in the room went off unexpectedly. We did not burn anything - we weren't even cooking - most of us were in bed. When we called to the front desk they said they would send someone up to turn it off. We had to call a second time after a long wait with ear piercing sound that we could not turn off. They finally came up and still couldn't turn it off. We estimate it took them about 1 hour to finally get it disabled. I can't describe how loud this was - my husband's ears were ringing still the next morning. They didn't even apologize for this happening.

Next trip I'll be trying the Hilton suites hopefully with better luck. Please save your money and frustration and avoid this hotel.

3  Thank PeasandCarrots3
HHMLP-Mgt W, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Angie_688,
First of all, I want to sincerely apologize that you encountered such issues on your trip. Please know that our management staff takes your concerns seriously and uses our reviews to improve our service. Again, my apologies...Please feel free to contact me so we can discuss further...

Kandi

Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights everything was great. Coin laundry helps when traveling with kids. Restaurants within walking distance. Breakfast was very good and afternoon weekday social was nice too. Staff was friendly.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We don't always travel with our darling dog, but sometimes you need to or want to. It can be hard to find places that are accommodating like this hotel to the four-legged kind. We stayed for 4 nights and it's a one time $75 charge for having your dog there. I suppose if you were only staying one or two nights that might be pricey, but for 4 nights that wasn't bad.

The hotel is fairly clean with a mix of old and new decor. The little things add up in this place though. The bathroom was clean, but isn't anything to write home about. It has no fan/vent, which always bothers me. The bedroom was clean, but the curtains don't keep out all the sun light. I'm use to going to a hotel and when you close the curtains you can't tell if it's day or night. The living area was nice with a good size TV and plenty of channel selections.

In the back of the hotel they have little dogie stations where you can pickup after your dog. There's a sidewalk that leads off toward a little community park. I walked my dog over there and around the residential area behind the hotel.

Food wise, the breakfast wasn't all that impressive. I've had better hotel breakfast. The hotel seems to be surrounded by a restaurant Mecca, so take advantage of that. If you're comforted by chain restaurants there's Chilis and Applebee's right in front of the hotel. Burger King and Red Lobster are also near by. There was a fast food burger joint called Cookout, I'm not familiar with, that was actually very good and fast!! You must try Food for Thought right across the street. Great food and drinks. For breakfast we ended up eating at the Smokey Griddle 3 days in a row.

Your dog can walk with you around Colonial Williamsburg, but cannot go in to any of the buildings or gardens. He can also go with you to the Yorktown Battlefield, but not inside the visitor center or the cemetary.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank watchyoursix
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed here as part of a trip to Busch Gardens and it was a very nice stay. I have a big family (4 kids plus me and my husband) and my mom stayed with us as well and our 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite was more than enough space for all of us. The room itself was clean and didn't have any major problems. As another review noted, there were some imperfections (there was a crack at the bottom of one of the bedroom doors, the shower curtain was a little dirty) but not anything worth complaining about. We were on the third floor and we never heard any other guests, even though the hotel seemed fairly busy. The free breakfast was better than some of the other chains that I've stayed at. The staff was very friendly and helpful - especially when we discovered that we had left something in the room after we checked out and had to come back. The hotel is also in a great location. There are a lot of great restaurants within walking distance as well as a general store and a CVS. Busch Gardens was only a short drive (a little less than 15 minutes) away. Overall, I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

1  Thank Mandersmm