“Wonderful for our group”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Williamsburg
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Boulder, Colorado
“Wonderful for our group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here 5 nights as part of a group of about 40 so I'm the first to say I got a very good group rate. However, the staff were exceptional.

While we were here, we had a terrific thunderstorm that knocked down trees in town and took out the hotel's power for maybe a couple of hours...at happy hour. Since the atrium is the only area with decent light, everyone parked at the tables there. It was craz- nuts. And the bartender ladies kept folks happy and the manager and staff roamed to make sure the natives weren't too restless. A potentially rotten time was a quite nice one. The breakfast people are also very, very nice.

My room was always clean and tidy, thought I think the floor could have been a little tidier. Hallways were sometimes dirty due to people bringing their social hour food back to their rooms. (If you drop it on the floor, pick it up!) I heard vacuums and know the hotel must be aware of the problem with this. Another large group of teen athletes came during my stay and the dropped food was much more of a problem then.

The breakfast is pretty good. The hot bar eggs are not good, but hot bar eggs never are. Choices in the hot bar were generally scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, fresh fruit. You can get cook-to-order eggs, and there are big crocks of oatmeal and grits. Coffee is not very good. I ate oatmeal a lot and it was sometimes better than others (too dry and thick). Considering it's summer, the fresh fruit was very limited and never varied.

I will give this hotel a review of "Excellent" when they delete this from their web page: "fully equipped fitness center boasting the latest in modern equipment." I use fitness rooms when I travel and this was not fully-equipped. I was stunned at the statement and would be embarrassed to have it there. There were 2 treadmills, a bike, an elliptical machine, a stationary weight bench and some dumbbells. That's it. Get some other stuff so people can do a full-body workout and it's a fitness center. This is not.

Would I stay here again? Maybe. I liked it but there are a lot of choices (including historic ones) in Williamsburg. Without the group rate, Embassy Suites isn't nearly as attractive as many of the others.

Room Tip: Unless you're using the fold-out couch, all rooms can be very quiet because you can close off yo...
1 Thank Mrs_Incredible
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Williamsburg, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for the review about your stay. I am glad to hear that our staff was warm and hospitable. Power outages can be trying times and I am pleased that we turned the experience around for you. Our breakfast is something at Embassy Suites we take great pride in and I will adress those issues with our chef. We will look at adding more items to the fitness room but it does currently have Precor equipment and can accomdate most work out routines. Thanks again and we do hope to see you back next time you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Not up to what I have grown to expect from Embassy Suites. Seems like this was once some other type of hotel that Hilton aquired and turned in to an Embassy Suites, the layout and rooms where just not what I have come used to with the Embassy Suites line of hotels.
Also was very disappointed by the food served in the hotel, arrived late so didn't have alot of choices so just decided to eat in the hotel, ordered the recommended fish sandwich but got a soggy roll with what tasted like two frozen fish patties in it. Again not to the standard I have come to expect from this chain.

3 Thank Michael K
Thank you for your feedback from your stay. Our rooms do have a different layout but we do provide all of the same amenities of other Embassy Suites. I will speak to our chef in regards to the sandwich. We pride ourselves on having great food at our hotel. Thanks again.
Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I just spent five nights at the Embassy Suites in Williamsburg, Virginia. My husband was in Williamsburg on business and I tagged along. Last month, we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Hampton, Virginia. It was interesting to stay at the Embassy Suites in Williamsburg having so recently stayed at the one in Hampton. While the Williamsburg Embassy Suites-- like all Embassy Suites-- offers a bedroom and a sitting room as well as other business minded amenities, I could tell that the Williamsburg Embassy Suites served a different clientele than the Hampton Embassy Suites does. It seems to cater a lot more to families on vacation than business travelers. Consequently, not only is the rack rate higher, the Williamsburg Embassy Suites is also not as nice. However, when my husband called last week to ask if he could book our room for one extra night on our dime, the receptionist at the Embassy Suites was kind enough to give us the super cheap government rate. The published rack rate was quite a bit higher than that.

First impressions

The Embassy Suites in Williamsburg is located right behind a K-Mart. Having grown up near Williamsburg, I knew exactly where that K-Mart was, since it's been there for many years. I did not, however, realize that there was an Embassy Suites next door! The location near K-Mart, a mini golf course, and several restaurants was very convenient.

We were warmly greeted when we checked in. The friendly receptionist gave us a bag with two complimentary waters and a magazine about the attractions in Williamsburg. The Embassy Suites in Williamsburg consists of five floors situated in a plaza configuration. When we first arrived, our key cards didn't work and my husband had to take one of the very slow elevators back to the lobby to get the cards fixed.

The bathroom

When we walked into the room, I noticed that it was configured differently than most Embassy Suites are. The bathroom was located immediately to the right; one has to walk through the sitting room to get to it. This was not a problem for us, since it was just the two of us staying. Had there been someone using the pull out couch in the sitting room, it might have been more of an issue.

The bathroom was appointed with a tub/shower combination and Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries. There was an ironing board, iron and hairdryer. I liked the light in the shower that could be turned on separately from the overhead light. We had plenty of sparkling clean towels.

The sitting room

Aside from the pull out couch-- which wasn't all that comfortable to sit on, by the way-- there was an upholstered chair, a flatscreen television, a table and chairs, a microwave, coffee set up, and refrigerator. There was also a small sink. We used the refrigerator to store restaurant leftovers, drinks, and some tomatoes I had harvested to give to my mom. Unfortunately, the refrigerator was set very cold and my tomatoes froze! So did one of the complimentary waters. The sitting room was not appointed with silverware or plates, so we had to borrow one at breakfast so I could microwave some leftover food that came in a metal container.

The bedroom

The bedroom was a bit small, but had an armoire, vanity, flatscreen television, and a king sized bed. The bed had six square pillows that were filled with down. I didn't think the bed was very comfortable, but I still managed to get a pretty good night's sleep. The air conditioning worked very well and we had great blackout curtains which were necessary, since the Embassy Suites sign was lit right outside our window, which had a view of the back of the aforementioned K-Mart.

Breakfast and other culinary "delights"

Embassy Suites come with a free hot breakfast served buffet style. There's a cook who will make omelets to order. I don't really like omelets, so I did not partake. Every day, the same foods were available: fresh whole apples and oranges, pre-wrapped and unwrapped muffins and danishes, bagels, breads, grits, oatmeal, cereals, yogurts, scrambled eggs, homefries, pancakes, sausages, and bacon. There was also juice, milk, and coffee available. With all of that selection, you'd think I'd be delighted with breakfast, right? Guess again.

My first gripe has to do with the plates and silverware. Embassy Suites Williamsburg does not have real china. Instead, you get a depressing plastic plate and very cheaply made silverware. You put the plate and the silverware on your tray, like you're at prison or summer camp. There are no glasses or even plastic cups for your juice. Instead, you get disposable plastic cups, bowls, and mini plates. The disposable cups, plates, and bowls did not leave me with a very good impression.

My next gripe has to do with the grits. I'm a southern girl, and I love my grits. And you would think in a southern town like Williamsburg, Virginia, someone would know how to make grits properly. At the very least, you might expect that they'd know they have to salt the water before they make the grits. Alas, no one at the Embassy Suites in Williamsburg got the memo. They'd serve the bland grits full of lumps. It would grow sticky and half congealed; the consistency was too thick. Despite that, I'd still eat them each day because they were more appetizing than the rubbery scrambled eggs on offer every morning.

My final gripe has to do with the juice and coffee. The orange juice was really dreadful. It tasted like it was loaded with sugar. I switched to cranberry juice, which was marginally better. The coffee was equally wretched. Embassy Suites has a machine that offers milk or half and half. The one day I got coffee, I ended up with flavored non-dairy creamer instead of the half and half I was expecting.

The bacon and sausage was pretty good. I also liked the fresh pineapple that was offered every day. I did not try the pancakes because I'm really picky about pancakes. You'd never know that to look at me.

Manager's reception

Embassy Suites offers a manager's reception every evening between 5:30pm and 7:30pm. Basically, that means you can get complimentary well drinks, wine, and beer, though the barkeeps would appreciate any tips you send their way. We attended the manager's reception twice. Again, the drinks were served in dinky disposable plastic cups instead of actual glasses. Maybe I shouldn't complain, since the drinks were free, but other Embassy Suites I've stayed in used actual glasses. I think that would be a lot classier... besides, who wants to drink an eight ounce cup of beer? That barely allows for a head.

The Atrium

Embassy Suites Williamsburg has a small restaurant called The Atrium. I can't comment on it because we didn't eat there. I didn't see a lot of people in the restaurant. Given that there are so many places to eat in Williamsburg, I kind of think the restaurant was a bit superfluous. In any case, it handles room service orders and serves casual fare, most notably Pizza Hut pizza. I used to love Pizza Hut, but it went downhill at some point twenty years ago, so I couldn't get excited about trying The Atrium.

Other amenities

Embassy Suites Williamsburg offers a business center, exercise room, and an indoor pool. We had no need for the business center, since we both brought iPads. One great thing about this particular Embassy Suites is that it offers free Internet. That was a definite plus.

My husband used the tiny exercise room, which has two treadmills, free weights, an elliptical, and a bike. There were a lot of other military folks staying at the Embassy Suites, so there was some competition for the machines! I used the kidney shaped pool twice. It was clean and well stocked with towels. A small hot tub is directly adjacent to the pool, but it was very hot in the pool area so the hot tub wasn't all that enticing. Sun loungers were available outdoors in a small enclosed area just outside the pool area.

Other observations

The Embassy Suites in Williamsburg has a friendly staff who mostly seemed very competent. I will note, however, that our room was not very thoroughly cleaned. The furniture appeared to need a good dusting and the floor could have used a more thorough vacuuming. One of my husband's co-workers had an issue with his room because a pipe in the room next to his burst. Consequently, his sitting room ended up being flooded.

We got USA Today delivered to our room daily, which was very nice.

The two elevators are very slow!

Parking is free and extremely plentiful. I noticed the lot closest to the K-Mart was mostly empty most of the nights we were there.

You can purchase tickets for Water Country USA or Busch Gardens at the Embassy Suites. As I spent four years working at Busch Gardens, I had no need to take a trip there! A trip to Water Country USA might have been nice, though.

There is a tiny gift shop next to the reception desk. However, since K-Mart is right next door, I can't see how anyone would use it except in cases of extreme laziness.

Overall

Although I appreciated the efforts of the staff at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, I can't help but compare it somewhat unfavorably to other Embassy Suites I've stayed in. Aside from being an older property that shows its age, it's in kind of a weird location. And the plastic and disposable dishes at breakfast was a huge turn off for me. While I like the city of Williamsburg much better than Hampton, I found myself missing the Hampton Embassy Suites' much posher and more convenient set up. While we appreciated the free Internet and extra day at the government rate, I truly believe this property rates a solid three stars. So that's my rating; and while I could recommend this hotel, I personally would probably opt to stay somewhere else, given the choice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank knotheadusc
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Williamsburg, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you very much for the feed back from your stay at our hotel. I appreciate the praise for the service that you received at our property. We are currently working to enhance our breakfast and manager's recpetion offerings. Thanks again and we hope to see you next time in Williamsburg.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Considering it was one of the pricer chain hotels in Williamsburg, and also an Embassy Suites, I actually felt like it was a little below my expectations. I'm not so sure that it was any better than a Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn or Homewood Suites available for a cheaper price. (Note that I am a Hilton Honors member and I usually stay at the Hilton brand hotels when they are available). I think I would actually try several other hotels before I would stay here again.

Cons: Room always smelled musty and damp, no matter how much I ran the AC. Outside of the building seemed older and not quite as new as many of the other hotels in the area. Not sure that this hotel was originally built as a signature Embassy Suites as it lacked some of the finer details such as decor and overall condition of the building. It seems reasonable to expect that this was another hotel and then remodeled into an Embassy Suites. I may be mistaken, but that was the impression. Seemed more like a standard budget hotel to me.

Pros: Indoor pool was clean and at a good water temperature. Equipment in the fitness center was in good repair. And of course, the typical "cooked-to-order" breakfast was good. The manager's reception had a good selection including crab dip and popcorn. The location was only about a five minute drive to Colonial Williamsburg.

This was not a good deal for this hotel and could have gotten at least an equal experience at many of the other available hotels in the area for a cheaper price. I will not likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Check deals with other budge hotels first, especially if they offer a free breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FreqyFlier
i do appreciate your feed abck about your stay. We take pride in our fitness and recreation amenities. I understand the feedback about the age of the hotel but we did have a full renovation a few years ago. Thanks again.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel was great from start to finish. We stayed in the 2 bedroom 2 bath suite. We were there for annual ladies weekend trip. Everything was great as soon as we entered the hotel the lobby area was nice and clean. The front desk stafff was nice and polite they gave us a tour of the hotel and even took a couple of pictures of our group in front of th waterfall inside the hotel.
The rooms were nice and clean and that made us very happy it was six of us and no one had a complaint about anything. They have a free breakfast every morning the food was delicious I am talking about a full breakfast not just bagels and muffins. The staff that cooks the breakfast were nice and friendly. Everyone that worked in the hotel was nice even down to the person that helps pick up the trays in the dinning area had a great attitude. They have a nice indoor pool and convient to the outlets and a lot of other great eating spots. The hotel was so great another lady in our group has booked to come back with her family in August.

Room Tip: If you have more than 4 people I would suggest the 2bedroom 2 bathroom suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Shortcake079
Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. I am very excited you all enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on being a clean and safe hotel with outstanding staff. We look forward to seeing you all back again.
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

This was a typical Embassy Suites. We like staying there because we are a family of five and can all fit in the one suite room. Staff was helpful in giving us maps and directions to the attractions. Those were all the positives. On the negative side, the food at the breakfast and the manager's happy hour was not good. And all the cups, dishes and bowls were paper or styrofoam. It felt cheap and highlighted the poor quality food. This seems like a little thing that could change to make guests feel more at home here.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AmyG96
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here in June and got a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite. The rooms were comfy and spacious. We really didn't spend that much time at the hotel as we did Busch Gardens and Water Coutry USA most of the time, so we missed the manager's reception but we did enjoy the pool one afternoon (it got crowded after about 6 PM). The breakfast was great and the location was within 15 minutes of all the major attractions. There is also a mini-golf and a K-Mart down the block which was helpful. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We'd definitely stay here agin.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank BaltimoreGuest123
, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Williamsburg, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. It is rewarding to read reviews where our guests have such a nice stay and specifically comment about the great service. We look forward to serving you again. Thank you