“Not what you would expect....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites Williamsburg

Homewood Suites Williamsburg
Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Not what you would expect....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

....from a category 7 Hilton. It's like a Holiday Inn Express or Marriott Courtyard, but bigger. Everything is clean and functional, the staff are very helpful if you ask for anything, but....it's all a bit cheap. I guess we weren't in one of the all the way 'updated' rooms, based on the tv, but frankly we don't really care about the tv- it worked fine. The air conditioning, however, reminds me of the bad old days of chain hotels- you can have an arctic blast or stuffy nothing. The lighting - esp. in the bathroom- reminds you of a public restroom. And here's an odd one: the linens don't fit the beds. The mattress pad was too small, so itnkept popping off the corner, and the bottom sheets are not fitted and just barely big enough, so they don't stay tucked in. The result is that the sheets are a complete mess almost as soon as you get in the bed.

The breakfast is adequate- toast-yourself bread, bagels and english muffins, what appear to be home-made muffins, a choice of 3 bulk cereals, cafeteria-type scrambled eggs and sausage patties- and seemed to please most of the guests. Best thing was the oatmeal, with raisins, cranberries & brown sugar to top it with. Worst thing was the yogurt- they had 2 types- Trix (!) and some super-artificial diet brand.

The hotel was completely full, and the staff seemed to handle that well- props for that. And it probably isn't fair to blame the hotel for the alarm going off TWICE before 7am one morning- I am guessing guests opened doors with alarms on them- but it sure was annoying on our one morning to sleep in. Having a room that is right at the intersection of the breakfast room, the downstairs TV lounge, the path to the pool, and the elevator that gets people to the pool and to breakfast was unlucky- when we arrived we thought 'oh, how convenient', but by the next morning we realized that it is actually the single worst room in the hotel. Hey, somebody had to have it. But it got really old listening to the loud families- sometimes cheerful, often not- just outside the room. These old walls just aren't sound proof.

The reason we chose the Homewood over the Embassy Suites was that the room itself is bigger, and there are 2 beds + a sofa bed, and that part worked for us (with 2 teenagers, the extra bed made a difference!). That said, next time we will choose Embassy Suites. It's the same category, a lot nicer finish and waaaaaay better breakfast.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
msj416, General Manager at Homewood Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property. All of our suites now have the new, flat screen TVs. We have just hired new maintenance and housekeeping supervisors who we are sure will help us continue to improve in those areas. I am glad you enjoyed the oatmeal and toppings. We carry two kinds of yogurt - Trix and Dannon, both in a variety of flavors. Although we understand you prefer the Embassy's breakfast, we hope you will choose Homewood Suites again if the need arises.

You may always contact me at 757.259.1199 or melissa.jackson2@hilton.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Beaverton, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

Nice hotel, great service, good location. Hotel is undergoing an updating. We stayed in a room that had nt been updated yet. Even though not updated, the room was quite clean and everything was in good working order. Breakfast was the typical solid Homewood offering. Location is on the right side of town if visiting the colonial area. Desk staff was good, even for a Homewood, which generally has a good staff in all its locations.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
msj416, General Manager at Homewood Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Colonial Williamsburg. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are completing a renovation that is replacing all the wallpaper, light fixtures, artwork and TVs in all of our suites as well as wallpaper and flooring in our lobby and lodge areas. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to Williamsburg.
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

Perhaps we were spoiled by our stay at the Ashville, NC, Homewood suites last year. This is a nice hotel and the staff are all very attentive, but there is just something missing in the atmosphere. Much of that has to do with the food service. In Ashville, the meals were professionally prepared and tastefully arranged. There were always ample quantities and sufficient staff to maintain the order and flow. All of that is missing here. In Ashville, there was also wine and beer with the evening meals, which just helped to create a casual but elegant atmosphere. In Ashville there was also a flow between the hotel lobby, lounge area, and dining room, with a large fireplace between lobby and lounge, which created comfortable and convenient places to sit, visit, read, or work. Here, the lounge area is a level below the main lobby--with the dining area and on the way to the pool-- and so not convenient or inviting.
So, it is not that this is a bad hotel, but it lacks the distinctiveness which set the Ashville hotel apart. The antiquated TVs here in Williamsburg did not help either, nor did the missing DVD players, but apparently they are in the process of remodeling this hotel. The old TVs started to leave today.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent stay and feedback after your visit to our Homewood Suites by Hilton in Williamsburg. We are finishing our renovation which included the replacement of all wall paper, light fixtures, artwork and, yes, TV's in all of our suites as well as wall paper and flooring in the lobby and lodge areas. We regret that we are unable to serve beer and wine as many other Homewood Suites do, but our local county will not allow us to serve alcohol. We hope you enjoyed your stay and the other amenities that we offer and hope that you will choose to stay with us again if your travels bring you back to Williamsburg.
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

We decided a day ahead of time to attend Christmas Town @ Busch Gardens. We wanted a 2 bedroom suite and the Homewood Suites and one other property had the amenities we wanted. The hotel probably could use some updating, but we were more than happy with our 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite. This is a great room for families ... 1 king bed, 2 queen beds, pull-out sofa, 3 TV's and a full-service kitchen. The hotel is located on Route 60 / Bypass Road and there isn't much to walk to. If you go further down the street to Route 60 / Richmond Road you can walk to more restaurants, etc.

We didn't have time to use the indoor heated pool, but it was warm, compared to other indoor "heated" pools that hotels advertise. We almost missed breakfast because we overslept. It was standard fare as far as complimentary breakfasts go. The two staff members we dealt with were friendly even though they had to work New Year's Eve / New Year's Day.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank FrugalMother
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Williambsurg. We are so glad that you enjoyed our spacious two-bedroom suite and sorry that you did not have time to enjoy our other amenities. We hope you will have another opportunity to stay with us and take advantage of our facilities as well as the many attractions Williamsburg offers.
Hummelstown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

We stayed here for two nights during the Grand Illumination. The location cannot be beat. It is very convenient to Colonial Williamsburg, there are restaurants all around. Great location.
The room set up was nice and big enough. A couple of extra chairs for eating around the table would be nice since there is a small kitchen, but then again I'm not sure where they would go when not in use. We kind of had to spread out and use all the flat surfaces to eat the two meals we had in the room.

The beds and pillows were very comfortable to our taste and everyone slept well. The ceiling fan in the bedroom was a nice touch. We were able to keep the room a comfortable constant temperature which is often a problem in hotels. Yes, the tv's were older - my children had never seen a console tv like in the sitting room! - but they worked well and served the purpose. Not a problem for me.

The staff was pleasant and very helpful. As a family of 5 we needed extra towels, toiletries and even plates and silverware. The staff brought everything right up to us without hesitation. Even brought up some shower caps in the morning when two of my daughters didn't want to wash their hair because we had an early start...I offered to come down but they said it wasn't a problem. Nice staff.

However, I do have two complaints:
The water temperature in the shower was awful. I know I like a hot shower, but the temperature was barely acceptable. It reminded me of being at camp when the whole place has water at one temp and you pull on a cord in the shower and the water comes out. It didn't make sense either because the water from the sinks could get much hotter. If the hotel's hot water heater was temperature controlled to prevent scalds, wouldn't that affect all of the water faucets? I knew it wasn't just me when one of my daughters apologized before my husband went into the shower...she thought she had used all of the hot water.

My other complaint was breakfast. The food was really quite terrible. The eggs were obviously powdered. They tasted horrible. The sausage had that strange texture to it that really cheap sausage often has. The pastries were so bad I took one bite and threw the rest away.
For a hotel of this brand, I was really surprised by the breakfast. I've stayed at alot of Embassy Suites that actually have cooked to order breakfasts as well as other places that have the frozen or refrigerated buiscut sandwiches that you head up in the microwave. Honestly, I think the frozen biscuits would have been better.
We just grabbed a piece of fruit and something to drink before we headed out and it was enough to get us through until we could have an early 11 am lunch, but the breakfast was just awful.

I would consider staying here again but the water temperature thing really was a bit of an issue. Being a family of 5 limits your options as to hotels and this was certainly an acceptable one. I would just look a little harder next time to find out what my other choices are.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
msj416, General Manager at Homewood Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Homewood Suites Williamsburg.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience Williamsburg's Grand Illumination. As I have mentioned in other responses, we are going to be making improvements to our hotel starting in January. All of our suites are getting new wall vinyl, light fixtures, artwork and flat screen TVs. I am being completely honest when I say I am surprised that you had problems with the hot water. That is something that I have never heard from a guest. I am having our maintenance team check the plumbing to ensure everything is flowing properly. We are making changes to our breakfast selections including adding a waffle station. We want everyone to enjoy this meal and are trying to quickly make it better.

Ellicott City, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

I have never questioned a Hilton property before, and just assumed that like most other Hiltons, this would be a nice hotel w/suite style rooms. The rooms are suites, but dirty and very drab - definitely in need of a make-over - someone give Ty Pennington a call! TVs were ancient and bad picture......there was an actual console tv in the room - late 70s maybe? What I really couldn't believe is that they were charging $359.99/night for a Friday night stay. We stayed on points - no way in hell I would have paid that! Also, the food was terrible - egg beaters for breakfast (yuck). They offered an evening meal as well but we did not partake......they offer no alcoholic drinks at this hotel either (not even in the pantry). Hilton - you have some splaining to do for this property!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Donna21042
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Williamsburg. Please let me apologize that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel.

I am very excited to let you know that we are going under renovation starting in January. We are replacing the wall paper, light fixtures, artwork and, yes, TVs in all of our suites. The TVs will be larger, flat screen TVs and we are adding HD channels to our listings as well. In addition, we are also replacing the wall paper and carpet throughout the hallways. I am constantly making changes and improvements to our breakfast menu to ensure that all of our guests enjoy the most important meal of the day.

Thank you for these comments as they allow us to make corrections to our operation. Please feel free to call or email me at melissa.jackson2@hilton.com, if I can ever be of service. I hope we may have another opportunity to show we can do much better.
Princeton Junction
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

This hotel was a perfect location for visiting Busch Gardens, Water Country, the historic triangle, and restaurants.
The indoor pool was in need of maintenance. The pool ladders were coming off the walls. We got the Suite for 4 of us (2 boys ages 6 and 7). The pullout couch was worn and uncomfortable, even for little ones. The coffee carafe didn't go with the coffee machine, so the coffee didn't brew correctly. The TV had an orange picture (every single channel). The staff was friendly and receptive, and when we told them about the coffee machine and TV, these were corrected to acceptable quality.
Biggest complaint is about the "welcome home reception light dinner" which should run from 5 to 7 pm. The first night, there was a "problem" with the meatballs and they never arrived, so there was just plain sauce along with overdryed frozzen pizza slices. The next night, there were salisbury steaks and stuffed peppers on the menu. By 5:30 pm, the stuffed peppers were gone and by 6 pm so were the salisbury steaks. From 6 to 7 pm there were green beans only. This light dinner idea is great for families who come home from a weary day of sight-sighing, but do it right or don't bother! They should offer cheese and crackers, hot pretzels and hot dogs but have enough to last 2 hours rather than more substantial food only to run out within 30 minutes.
Bottom line- we'd try another hotel along that corridor if we went back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
msj416, General Manager at Homewood Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, September 25, 2010

I am glad you enjoyed our location. There really is so much to do in Williamsburg. We have just started the process of detailing our rooms to ensure all items are correct and working properly. I am very excited to let you know that we are replacing all of the TVs in the hotel with new flat screen TVs. We hope to have this done by spring. The menus for our Welcome Home Reception have been updated and our staff is being retrained to ensure everyone enjoys a pleasant meal at the end of the day.