“Nice staff, older property”

DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just down the street is Kingsmill and although it is not perfect it is so much better than this hotel. The room had a luxurious bed but the room was musty & stuffy. The A/C made a loud noice (the kind that blows from a box in the room). I called to get a dehumidifier, but none was in the entire hotel. They offered febreeze but I had already done that upon checking in. We were already settled in or could have moved to a different room. The room backed up to trees & was relatively quiet but people kept slamming doors & running up and down the halls. The room had a small fridge, nice touch. They provided water for the coffee maker but on the second day we had to ask from the front desk as the maids did not replenish. I think they are trying but not great. Had I known, I would have liked a room with a balcony. Food from room service was pretty good but forgot jam, creamer, etc. I guess what I would say is to be aware of what the hotel has to offer and ask for it. Oh yes, we had to ask for our newspaper as we are Hilton Honor's members. Maids did not speak English. Less that great overall.

Room Tip: Please the review. Full of tips.
1  Thank italywithamare
Write a ReviewReviews (1,571)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in late July 2013. The hotel is very large and the outside grounds are very well maintained.
Check in was very smooth with the person at the counter offering water and cookies upon our arrival. The lobby is very nice and spacious as well. The room (408) was OK but it was dated. It seems like they had put new furniture in the room without updating it. The bathroom was kind of old as well and the AC worked but was noisy and ran 24/7.
The pool was nice as it is indoor/outdoor, but it also needed some TLC. The breakfast was not included in the rate and was $12 per person. Location is great for Busch Gardens and Water Country but is a little far from the area of Williamsburg where all the restaurants are located.
This hotel is being renovated and has a lot of potential, but not quite there yet.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank hockeydad97
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am a HHonor member and this by far was the worst DoubleTree by Hilton I have ever stayed at. I felt very disrepected and saddened by this stay while on government orders. My WIFE and SON were sleeping when the housekeeping personnel still entered the room without acknowledging himself. The Do Not Disturb sign was clearly on the handle and still he entered the room on my half dressed wife. My room service food was eatable but not good at all. As a retired military vet, I take this stay to be offensive and unexcusable. The RCU in each room is inoperable and was never working during my stay. The front desk staff checked me out early where it clearly stated in my orders the length of time I was going to be residing. This still is really making me reconsider even being a member of the Hilton Honors club. I honestly do not know what could have been done to exceed my expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Nicholus D
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I enjoyed my stay better this year for the conference than last year when we stayed at a different hotel in Williamsburg. The staff was very warm and my accommodations were excellent. I would recommend that we return next year for our conference. I just didn't get an opportunity to jump into the pool this time.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you are a stickler about clean rooms, this is the hotel for you. Every DoubleTree I stay in is perfectly clean and accomodates every need! The facility, service provided and ammenities are always above expectation. Staff service is fast and access to anything you may need is very easy! I seek these hotels out now when I travel because I know they will be clean, which unfortunately is rare elsewhere.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

After reading some reviews about the hotel not being completely renovated, I called and they assured me that all the rooms have been, but the rest of the hotel was under construction. Things like that don't bother me as long as the room was clean and nice. The hotel was having renovations done to it, but it was nothing that impacted our stay whatsoever. In fact, there were different conferences going on every day that we were there, so it was fine. The hotel is 1 and 1/2 miles from Busch Gardens and 3 miles from Water Country USA. We bought 7 day unlimited passes online for $80 each and with the temps in the 100's, it was worth it. The hotel also has an indoor/outdoor pool that was just right as the deepest part is 5 feet. This oddly enough was always pretty empty. There is a restaurant called Pitcher's inside the hotel which was pretty good. Within this complex type area, there were about 10 restaurants which was nice for variety. While in Williamsburg, check out Movie Tavern as well. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel seemed to be pretty old. The walls were very thin. You can easily hear the person in the room next door. I heard the person next door snoring. The hallways were not air conditioned and were very humid/uncomfortable. The hallway carpeting seemed very worn. On the positive side, the room seemed clean and had been updated with more modern furnishings. However, I would not stay there again if in the area.

1  Thank Alan B
Tom C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Mr. Alan B.

I want to Thank You for choosing to stay with The DoubleTree Williamsburg on your recent trip to Williamsburg. I am disappointed to hear you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel and would like to apologize for any issues encountered. I would like for an opportunity to discuss your visit further as there is nothing more important to us than our guest’s satisfaction. Please feel free to contact me at 757.220.2500

Tom Custo