“Nice, but watch your valuables, especially your medications!”

Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area
Ranked #54 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed June 4, 2009

The room was nice and clean, the breakfast was fairly good and fresh. However, someone that worked there stole my husband's medication from his bottle. When my husband checked them on his weekly check of the pill bottles after we got home, there had been medication stolen from his bottles. When I contacted the manager of the Super 8 hotel Williamsburg historic area, he was adamant in saying that none of his employees would do anything like that, they had worked for him for 20 years. Hmm, i guess the 20 something year old boy that worked there had been working there since birth!!! I would never stay in a super 8 hotel again, especially not this one! I do not recommend this hotel to anyone! Or if you do stay there, take everything with you when you go somewhere, or it will get stolen!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kbtt
Bharat P, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2016

thank you hope to see you soon. emma

Reviewed May 27, 2009

We read the last review and saw the "newly renovated" on the website and were hopeful our money was well spent here. Apparently this title just means "newly painted". That's the only thing that seemed new. We had reservations for 6 people in 1 room, they gave us 5 pillows, only 4 with pillow cases. When I asked for more, I was told they were out. It just felt like a gross hotel. The desk clerk and worker were discussing overcharging problems they had and were laughing about it while we were in the lobby. Please don't go to this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank youthprincess
Bharat P, Manager at Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2016

Reviewed May 6, 2009

I WAS HORRIFIED BY THE REVIEWS OF THIS HOTEL. I stayed free here for 2 nights on 2 separate rooms/ reservations. I was horrified by the reviews of the hotel. Even though I could get this hotel for free I almost considered paying 50+ dollars to stay somewhere else. I am 100% glad I did not. The Hotel is nothing special (it is just a super 8) but it was just remodeled and it very clean. The rooms are small but adequate. I was booked for a sofa sleeper room for both nights, the first night I wasn't even give the sofa sleeper room, but I didn't really care because I wasn't even going to be there for 10 hours.
The customer service has not been amazing. For example I called a few days before my reservation because I saw on the hotel website that it was recently remodeled and I asked when the last remodel was done and I was told "they do a little bit every year" not that the hotel was recently fully remodeled (which it was) The breakfast is very basic, just cereal, bananas, and donut holes. The room was clean and Cheap!! The rate on a basic room in the hotel during the week when we stay was $40. At that rate it is a STEAL!!. In conclusion this hotel was just remodeled and is MUCH BETTER THAN THE REVIEWS. This is the place to be if you are on a budget!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan H

Reviewed January 10, 2009

We booked this hotel for a last minute trip to Wiliamsburg just to take in the sights. We did a quick internet search and were looking for something cheap, as we only planned on staying one night and not really being in the room at all. There were plenty of cheap options available, from $30 - $60. My mother has been many times and *thought* she knew this hotel so she booked it for us. It was $45 a night and unfortunately, it wasn't the hotel she was thinking of.

As soon as we pulled into the parking lot (which was empty) I thought, "oh no." Even the parking lot looked derelict! And there was a policeman there taking a report from a staff member. Not a good sign. But it gets better.

We entered the hallway and a horrible stench hit us. It was a foul smell (something akin to cooking beans, stale smoke and body odor). But, shockingly enough, the decor was even worse. It was truly awful. Dirty, disgusting...I simply can't convey my horror enough about this place. I actually started laughing in the linoleum floored elevator with odd wood bits nailed to walls at the absurdity of it all! It honestly looked like (the horrible brown trim and dim shady lighting helped) a movie set for one of those low budget horror flicks! I could imagine a scantily clad blonde screaming down the hallway and then being dragged into a room... I wanted to leave but did not want to upset my mother who was putting on a brave face and already felt like she'd made a mistake by booking the place.

The room itself was a good size; we had two double beds in each room. It looked like a typical run down hotel room with cheap sheets and polyester bedspread (do not walk on the carpets without shoes!) and was incredlbly dirty. The filth collecting on the windows and blinds alone would probably cause anyone with asthma or allergies to suffocate. The bathroom was so dirty --- black mold an inch thick in the soap holder -- that I chose not to use it! There is no way I could have showered in that place.

We dumped our bags and were out until bedtime and checked out as soon as we woke the next morning, but please, please....do yourself a favor and pick another cheap hotel! Like I said, there were tons of them on offer and we just blindly chose the wrong one. Can't believe this is a nationally recognized chain.

Good luck!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TripsterUk
Bharat P, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2016

thanks come again

Reviewed October 18, 2008

The room and grounds were spotless. Our queen size bed was very comfy. Although the room and bath were small it made do for us. For the price(40.00) you could not beat it

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Bharat P, mark at Super 8 Williamsburg/Historic Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2016

Reviewed August 22, 2008

You definitely get what you pay for and less. Our entire visit I felt like I was being bit. The bed was poor to moderate. The carpeting was the worst with large stains You knew you were not staying in a clean room. There were food crumbs along the edges, I would not even remove the clothes from our suit cases. Our neighbors had a dog that barked most of the night. The People above us had parties on two of our three nights there. The in-room refridgerator didn't work. The coffee maker was missing a decanter. The air conditioner stunk if you turned it on. The light in the bathroom had the noisiest fan. On a plus side the 25" TV did get better reception than a more expensive hotel we stayed in earlier that week. I would not check out the breakfast because I was afraid of the uncleanliness. We checked in at 7 pm and the tables still had crumbs all over them. I guess the clerk was too busy watching TV to wipe table and sweep the floor. She acted like we were bothering her during her favorite show. We had our 5 year old with us and I just felt so unsafe and dirty the entire visit.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank MiniMe40

Reviewed July 13, 2008

As soon as we got to the room it smelled there was a water bug in the bathroom, the stove was gross, grease was caked on the stove and only one of the four burners was working. When we went to use the microwave oven it had no microwave plate in it and cockaroaches started coming out of it. The cabinets in the kitchen were all falling apart and were disgusting and very dirty. They don't vacuum the rugs they were digusting also. And the front desk help/the owner(the man) was very rude and nasty... We would not recommend anyone to ever stay here. I would never return to this [--]hole again....

Thank You.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jessieron1