“Good Value, Good Location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Oakton, Virginia
“Good Value, Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed here for one night in Jan. 2011 & was quite happy with my hotel choice. This hotel is 100% smoke free; it allows pets but I didn't smell or hear anything (wasn't on the pet floor.) Three floors with elevator. It is an older hotel, but my room had new furniture, mirrors, lamps, drapes, carpet, etc. Room had flat-screen tv, microwave, small refrigerator, comfortable desk chair, good side lamps. Sink is separate from bathroom with toilet and bathtub (old but clean.) This is a quiet location, walking distance to CW. In same building is Jamestown Pie oferring pizzas, salads, sandwiches, and a bar. I didn't eat there but it looked attractive. Across the street is Sal's Italian restaurant. I like not having to get back in the car and drive somewhere for dinner when I am tired. Breakfast average. My only complaint: my room overlooked the pool/breakfast area and I heard a lot of noise from the kids in the pool; I should have asked to change to another room, but the noise stopped at 9:00 pm. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for room not overlooking the indoor pool.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Kris25_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

The customer service was pretty good, we were able to check in an hour and a half earlier than normal which really helped us out since we were traveling with pets and arrived earlier than anticipated. The room was clean and spacious, we had a double suite which normally has a separate living area, but this one also had an extra bathroom so that was a bonus and definitely a deal for the price. Very close to Colonial Williamsburg and the hotel had an indoor pool, shuffleboard, and exercise room, although the equipment in the exercise room didn't work well and was getting old. Breakfast was good, the only complaint was they should have handed us rules about pets. We've traveled a lot with ours so we know the general rules but many were there with dogs evacuating the hurricane and we found dog food in the hall and had dogs barking in the hallway late at night.

Room Tip: Suites were a good deal instead of two rooms if you don't mind using the pull-out bed to sleep o...
4 Thank travel248957
Port Tobacco, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel used to be a Holiday Inn. It has a lot of real estate but not the staff to keep it clean. For example, the breakfast area is by the pool. You can see an office door above the pool. It is covered in hand prints. The pool area is dirty. There were several used bandaids in the same place for more than two days. The staff is nice, but the place is dirty. I would not stay here again. There are too many nicer properties around.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kzabriskie
Utica, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

La Quinta staff are exceptionally pleasant, efficient and ready to be helpful. Every question or special request receives a prompt response. Rooms are nicely arranged, clean and well maintained. Breakfast is simple, with something for everyone, in a relaxing environment. Indoor pool is lovely and well kept. This hotel is great for families and children any age, although I would stay there alone as well. Totally welcoming atmosphere for our dog, at no extra charge, but top floor is pet-free so everyone can be comfortable. Thanks for a terrific stay - we'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Staying in a suite (spacious) saves money over taking two rooms for a group. Lovely.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

I'm glad I did not check Tripadvisor before booking this place, otherwise I might never have booked it. I was traveling with my dog and this was one of the few inns that is truly dog friendly in the area. We were put on the first floor with the rest of the "dog families." Except for occasional barking when we passed a room, our stay was quiet. Room was really clean, our room service was great, A/C worked wonders, memory foam mattress, and breakfast was fine. Maybe we got lucky with no roach problems (possibly a benefit from being on the pooch floor) - but our room was really clean. Hotel also has a nice pool and fitness center, although I didn't have time to take advantage of them.

Pros: No dog fee (very uncommon in the area), clean room, free breakfast, Colonial Will. within walking/bicycling distance, good value
Cons: Front desk understaffed at times. No major complaints.

Tip: Federal employee/government rates available, but you must be ready to provide documentation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank robinsena
Holland, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

I guess I am happy that we were on the third floor as we did not see any roaches. I asked for the third floor to avoid the pets but got a room with little to no air conditioning. The manager told us she would move us the next morning and she did. We came back to a new room, no windows but had lots of ac. I opened the closet to find croutons all over the floor. Apparently housekeeping only cleans what it sees. Our tub was not cleaned the entire time we were there. We never got new soap,shampoo or plastic cups. What we DID see was that the maid had a ton of stuff on her cart (saw this as we helped ourselves to the soap,etc) she had from people checking out. Non english speaking, we had to ask for clean towels over and over. The guy taking care of the breakfast was hiding the entire time so when I asked for my table to be wiped he gave me a creepy look. We stayed 5 nights . Glad we were out more than "in".

2 Thank cruisingal54
Sanford, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I travel quite a bit with my family, atleast 2 of every 4 weekends, and I have never stayed at a place like this. After having spent an enjoyable, and tiring day at Busch Gardens we got back to the hotel for a much needed shower and some rest. Upon going into the room I went over to close the curtains, to find a 2 inch roach on the window sill above my head. In all my 45 years I have NEVER seen a bug that big. After calling downstairs some guy came up, handed my husband some bug spray and had my husband crawling on the furniture to spray where the bug had crawled back into the ceiling. Ok, if you could care less about your guest, but atleast act concerned!!

The next morning we found another 2 inch roach in our bathroom!!

After that we went downstairs for breakfast and I saw several maids cleaning on all floors, including the 1st floor right outside of the public restrooms. After I finished by breakfast I went in to use the restroom, only to find a third 2 inch roach in one of the toilets. Truly, I thought I was going to be sick at this point.

My husband had already talked with the front desk about the 2nd bug in our room, and when I went to tell her about the bug in the public restroom, right next to the breakfast area, she also could have cared less.

In addition, upon returning home my husband called La Quinta to lodge a complaint since the Manager in Williamsburg did not care, they told us to file a complaint online and were not allowed to speak with a supervisor on the phone.

If you're into bugs you will love this hotel, if not STAY AWAY!

If you're into bugs this is the hotel for you. If not, I would STAY AWAY!!

2 Thank traveloften73