“BEST LOCATION”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #63 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Best hotel for the money. Walking distance to Busch Gardens & Colonial Williamsburg Historic District. Free breakfast, nice indoor pool and a GREAT staff. ALWAYS CLEAN.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 5, 2011

Had a few days off last month and decided to take the family to Williamsburg, VA for some relaxing away time. Had a clean room with no issues and checked in early so we could start our day. The front desk staff was always available for anything I needed and housekeeping staff was great. The best part was the indoor pool area. The weather was great during our stay and we got to do almost everything on our list. Will hope to come back and finish the rest soon! Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Vacationed in Williamsburg with wife and teenage boys for July 4th weekend. The rooms were spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom and all linens were clean. Only drawback was our long hallway had two stepdown areas with ramps. It was almost impossible to roll out luggage cart down the ramps without stuff falling off. Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay and will certainly consider staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed here with my mom, daughter and niece for an extended weekend. I stayed here before some years back with my mom and remembered it to be a decent place to stay, I also read reviews on this website (unfortunately the June reviews hadn't been posted) Check in was easy and quick, no complaints there. Here's what I LIKED: large room (we stayed in a suite), near Busch Gardens (3miles away), free internet usage, complimentary breakfast, room had fridge and medium size microwave. What I DIDN'T LIKE: the breakfast included boiled egss, which were served ice cold and there was no microwave in the area to heat it if one likes warm boiled eggs, the packs of margarine were not kept chilled, so when I went to open the margarine to spread on my English muffin-I got a tub of oil, the milk for the cereal was also just sitting out on the countertop without being chilled (hello! dairy product). Our suite was essentially 2 rooms with the pass through door removed so we couldn't really put the kids to bed and close the door to keep from disturbing them (defeated the whole purpose of getting a suite in the first place), the couch had stains on both cushions (gross), there were stains in the ceiling near the window in the living room area, and only 2 chairs at the table, so we couldn't eat together. The doors to the bathroom were in disrepair and definitely needed a fresh coat of paint. If it's a suite, wouldn't be expected that more than 2 people are going to stay in the room? Luckily we didn't see any bugs as in the previous review, but those 4 large spider webs were just as bad as seeing bugs actually crawling around.
What was the most annoying was to have to reach behind the entertainment center to plug/unplug the TV and microwave, since there was only the one outlet behind the console but 3 appliances that needed to be plugged in. If my mother was alone there would have been no way for her to have gotten down and reached blindly to constantly plug and/or unplug the TV and/or microwave, since she has severe movement limitations.
I will not be staying here again nor will I recommend anyone I know to stay here.

1  Thank bunbun771
Reviewed June 25, 2011

dirty trick - web pages showed a nice hotel - we got there fri night 6/17 to meet our friends at va beach - so was on a time schedule - saw 3 rooms - 1st had bugs in the pillow cases - 2nd noisy a/c - 3rd spider in one of the pillow cases - got another case - attendent got 1 from a very diry linen room - i followed him to change the case myself - got back fri night - from the beach - a/c was not cooling - knob just kept turning/turning - hallways were suffocating - sat went to bush - our friends stayed sat night also - had to appolize to them for the deceptive hotel - very disappointed - a/c was not working sat night - so we checked out sunday - we were to stay sunday also - after reading reviews from 2010 - they still have the same problems - no doors on the closets - a/c not working - shoddy workmanship - no flat screen tv - a/c working more important - on 3rd floor w/decending levels w/make shift ramp for only 1 luggage rack - staff was just - don't like - check out - already had plans - no time to look for another hotel - sounds like this hotel is not ready for guests quite yet - would never stay there again - don't like "bait & switch" from ohio & would be in big trouble here - don't know how they get away w/years of unsatisfactory conditions

Room Tip: cheap - but don't stay there
1  Thank funwoman
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This hotel looked great from the outside, however the rooms were worn and rundown. The cleanliness of the room especially the bathroom left a lot to be desired. The bathtub soap dish was broken off and the toilet cracked. The breakfast was okay although I had better at similar hotels

1  Thank albp14t
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We checked into our room as a late arrival around 10:30pm and immediately noticed that the A/C was not working...the room was at least 85-90 degrees. It was not working for the entire floor because the halls were unbearable to walk in as it was a 90 degree day. We turned the A/C up to see if that would work and while waiting (10min) we killed a huge roach in the bathroom and found a spider in our bed. Our room was in such disrepair...it was awful. The ceiling was caving in and the bathrooms needed serious updating. After realizing that the A/C was not going to work we complained to the front desk. I also told them about the huge roach we found in our room, she said "Oh, it's just a water bug." Yeah right, I know what a roach looks like. They moved us to another room. No sooner did we put our stuff down, there was another huge roach in our room! My kids & I freaked out grabbed our stuff and stood in the hallway while my husband killed it, took a picture of it and then walked it down to the girl who said it was a water bug. He told the gentleman at the front desk that this was unacceptable and that we could not stay here. The young man at the front desk said that he understood and told us that if we canceled that we would not be charged anything for leaving. As we were leaving we came across numerous roaches in the hallway. We left after only an hour of being there and will NEVER step foot in that hotel again. We have traveled all over and never experienced that before!!