“There are better places to stay...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Williamsburg Historic Area

Days Inn Williamsburg Historic Area
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Columbia, SC
“There are better places to stay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This review is going to sound like whining, but I promise I generally don't complain about things. We just had too many things go wrong here for me to overlook the problems. We stayed 3 nights over July 4th. The desk staff was very helpful, but their hands were tied when it came to our problems. My father-in-law uses a walker, so we requested a handicap-accessible room for him. Our room was on the 2nd floor - his was down in the basement, where the elevator didn't go. To get to his room, we could park around back (where he could roll right into his motel-style room), but if he needed to get to our room, the breakfast or coffee area, or the lobby, he either had to walk around the entire building (did I mention he was handicapped?) or climb two flights of stairs, one of which was by the pool and was wet all the time (did I mention he was handicapped?). We found this unacceptable. They offered to move him to a room on our hall, but it wouldn't be handicap accessible.

The key to our door wouldn't work. I got new keys made. They still didn't work. The guy at the desk came to our room to open the door. It eventually worked for him. I tried it in his presence and it didn't work for me. After about 10 tries, it eventually worked. The same thing happened w/ my f-i-l's room. Every time we got back to the room, it was a crap shoot whether or not we'd be able to get in.

The breakfast area was extremely crowded and difficult for my f-i-l to get through. It's probably just too small for the number of people who are staying in the hotel. After the first day, we decided to just go elsewhere and pay for breakfast.

After our first night, I tried to go online and find another place for us to stay, but the wifi in our room was horrible. I asked at the desk and was told that they knew about the problem. I asked if it was temporary or chronic and (after looking around to see if anyone else was listening) the clerk said it was chronic. I was able to connect to the wifi in the coffee room off the lobby, but was unable to find another room for us, as it was July 4.

At this point I'd had enough and asked to speak to the manager. When I got with him, my primary complaint was about the handicap room situation. I was unable to convince him not to charge my f-i-l for his room, but to his credit he did agree (at my suggestion) not to charge him for one of the nights. I pointed out that there were several motel-style rooms on the first floor that would make good handicap rooms, but he said they would have to be renovated in order to make them accessible.

If had just been my family of 3, this hotel have been an inconvenient disappointment, but with my father-in-law along this place was just unacceptable.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a handicapped person, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM706, General Manager at Days Inn Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
I'm concerned about the issues you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're
doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked the Comfort Inn for our mini-moon the last week of July after hearing some great reviews from people we knew who had stayed there in the past. Check in was fast, however the two young men seemed to have a chip on their shoulders. Upon getting to our room we were greated by a blast of hot air. We turned the AC on, but it was took quite a while to cool down. My husband went to take a shower and found no plastic shower curtain, just the cloth one and HOT water that was very hard to control. The floor got soaked and he could not stay in to long before the water became unbarable. We called the front desk and they moved us to another room. The 2nd room, the water was only cold and the carpet infront of the AC was wet. We said something again and were told to flush the toilet to get warm water...weird but it worked. Our room was run down, wallpaper falling off near the AC unit exposing ugly mold, Had we been in our room more I would have complained, but we were just in it to sleep. Pools seemed nice, but we never went in. Breakfast was good. We were able to get our parking pass to Busch Gardens from the front desk which was convient, however the young lady who needed to print it seemed more interested in the personal phone call she was on then printing out our pass.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank colobordrbuny18
Thank you for your time and efforts to share your recent experience at our hotel.
I'm concerned about the issue you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

washington state
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The lobby and façade looked new and fresh, but the room was dated and had broken faucet. first off we had asked for a non-smoking room and were greeted with an overwhelming stench when we walked into our room. We looked at the door again and they had given us a smoking room. We were given a new room but had to go from a King to a double bed as that was all they had left. Also the bathroom sink faucet was not attached to the countertop and only produced cold water. The staff was not very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GM706, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
South River, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great value close to all attractions very clean close to restaurants overall a great stay Williamsburg. Is a wonderful trip for the family also has va beach less than an hour to the east where there are more than enough things to occupy. Your day

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank scottso928
GM706, General Manager at Days Inn Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share with us your experience you had at our hotel! You said it perfect! Your kind words are appreciated! Our location is very prime and located near local attractions and restaurants. Our wonderful staff do all that we can to make all of our guests feel welcome and comfortable. We look forward to many more visits.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night. We picked the hotel based on the proximity to the attractions we wanted to check out. The elevator and the rooms appeared to be a bit dated but quite clean. One towel in the bathroom was torn, but it still did the job. It was rather easy to hear the people in the adjacent rooms. It wasn't that they were being overly noisy, walls just seemed to be rather thin.

We did not go to breakfast or to the pool, but from our view on the 4th floor the pool seemed rather large and clean. I had read other reviews about the wifi in the hotel, but we had no problems connecting to it or using it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GM706, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our facility.
I will make sure your kind words reach to our team members.We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices.
We are looking forward for your next visit...
Thank you!!
Painesville Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed the night of June 22nd using my choice hotels points. We arrived at eleven-thirty and got a room immediately. Front desk...friendly and smiling faces....they should be commended. Our room was fine...no issues. The pools need some help. The outside one wasn't bad but needs a off season paint job to make the water look clean. Kind of blah around the area unlike the cute pool next door at both the Quality Inn and the Hampton Inn...no biggie but could use some sprucing up. The indoor pool was cloudy and smelled funny...didn't stay in it. The spa didn't work at all despite numerous tries by several people....very disappointing. I basically picked the hotel because of the indoor and outdoor pool access in case of rain. Oh well go figure. The breakfast was fine too for what it was.

Room Tip: Inside access room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM706, General Manager at Days Inn Williamsburg Historic Area, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
guests are taken seriously.
We look forward to serving your future lodging needs
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting William & Mary. Got a great AAA rate online.
Pros: Both indoor and out door pool and indoor jacuzzi nice.
Room was very clean and convenient location.
Cons: THere was coffee available in the hotel in the morning but for breakfast you needed to leave the hotel, go outside and go into the pool area for breakfast-not a great selection. WiFi sketchy for connection. Small beds and pillows not the most comfortable. Overall, for the price-couldn't complain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the quiet are (no exterior doors to room).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank airedaleluva
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your willingness to share your recent experienced while staying at Comfort Inn Historic Area.
We value each and every guest's opinion. Looking forward to welcome you back to the Comfort Inn Historic Area