“Great place to stay!”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - Williamsburg
Ranked #47 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We had no problems at all with our stay. The location is great and close to everything. The motel room had a comfortable bed with clean sheets and very comfortable comforters and pillows. The maids do a wonderful job of cleaning the rooms. It had everything we needed including a mini fridge and microwave. Yes it could use updates in the rooms such as paint and such but the new management seems to be making the necessary changes to make this place great. The rooms are spacious and the pool is a good size. The pool was clean and warm. The staff is friendly and accommodating. We will stay here again when we come back for sure. I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Normal, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2013

He and his kin are giving it a good try. This is not the greatest motel in the world but Vinny, the new manager and his staff are trying to bring the place up to speed. There was a nice comfortable bed in my room, a microwave and minifrig but no clock/radio. No big deal and Vinny would have rectified that had in noted it.

The motel is 100% NO SMOKING but that does not keep the seriously addicted from standing with their foot in the door and toking up or pulling folding chairs out on the walk way to generate their own carcinogenic zone. Smokers, heads up. 100% NO SMOKING means just that --dah.

The WiFi is a bit skimpy is some places and at some times.

Room Tip: If you want WiFi let Vinny know, when you register, and he will get you in a Hot Spot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Northern Virginia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is apparently under new ownership and the new owners seem to be working hard to make a go of this motel, but they still have a lot of room for improvement. Essentially, I was looking for only bare-boned, but suitable, accommodations for this particular trip (in town for a triathlon), and switched my reservation from the Woodlands, where my room was to cost more than double the Econolodge. Despite a number of issues noted below, I was pleased with my sub-$60 (plus taxes) stay at the Econdolodge.

Check in was smooth, and the staff was very nice. We got there early and they did not yet have a room available for us, but they did have one a little while later, still early. Because of the triathlon in the morning, I requested a late check-out, and they kindly gave us until 1 pm to check out (but, see below on that).

Overall, the room was fairly clean, but with a few issues, including a loose toilet seat, a broken/jammed drain plug in the sink, and a few hairs on the shower wall. The staff knew of the drain plug problem, as they (including, apparently, the wife of the owner couple) came in and out of the room about 5-6 times to repair it. Basically, on that, they were working to correct the problem, which was a good thing, but it didn’t look like they really knew a lot about what needed to be done- which is kind of the sense I had overall with the stay: they are working to make this a much better motel than it once was, but they appear to still have a learning curve to overcome.

While some of the room furnishings were run down, with holes under the fabric lamp shade covering, a print screwed to the wall out of balance, a tv remote that had to be exchanged, etc., other parts of the room were nice, including, as many have said, the beds.

Regarding the late check out, my son stayed in the hotel while I was at the race and the owner woman came into the room yet again shortly after 11 a.m. and was surprised to find my son there, and informed him checkout was at 11 a.m. Clearly, the late check-out we had been given had not been documented well. She was fine with it and he stayed until 1 pm, but only after having walked in on him earlier.

Also, there is a time-share center on the property, located essentially at the mid-point of the motel building. It does not appear to be affiliated with the motel at all, but it is right there in front of you - indeed, it was our room view, with many of their time-share workers standing around outside the back of their building, in front of the motel. (See the photos for a view of what I am describing.) They were not really doing anything annoying or overly loud, etc., but just another example of why I can’t rate this as a top motel/hotel, despite the good efforts of ownership.

One current warning is that they apparently are still in the process of renovating some of the rooms. Friends checked in the night before we did and I quickly learned that their room was terrible – they stuck with it for a while, but then decided they had to leave and almost checked out. They were changed to another room, adjacent to the one we eventually checked into, and found it to be far better then the first they had been checked into, with the new room being well worth the cost of their stay.

So, all in all, this is a fine bargain motel, if that is what you are looking for. Despite many bumps in the road, none of them were terrible or a deal breaker for me, and I suspect they will iron some of this out as they move forward with the motel. For the price and what I needed on this particular weekend, it fit the bill very nicely and I would stay again under similar circumstances. I certainly did not get a feeling of the place being seedy, dangerous, unsanitary (overall), etc., but simply a bit run down with an obvious effort to try and pick it up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank obxforus
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Pros: Costumer service, to an extent
Cons: Terrible smell, mold, stained beds, stained bathroom, room service, costumer service...etc.

I came on here to write a review and was surprised to find a copy of the review I had planned on writing posted the day before by another family. My wife and I found this hotel on tripadvisor and other web sites as being highly rated as a great choice for a affordable and excellent place to stay...sadly you get what you pay for.

My wife and I spent the day at Busch Gardens until they closed at 10:00. We started heading to the hotel and received a call making sure we were planning on staying. We arrived to the hotel exhausted, sweaty, and ready to collapse. We were greeted by two gentlemen, an older guy and what appeared to be his younger son. His son greeted us and right away asked if we would like to upgrade to a deluxe suite for $20. more, we were surprised but blew it off and declined. We were given our key to room 171 a king bed room and headed over.

We arrived to our room. We walked in and were hit with a stench of smoke and musky. As we headed to the bathroom to wash up, we turned on the light to find mold on the ceiling, stains on the shower curtain, and dark stains in the bath tub. To tired to deal with the issues we decided to start bringing in our bags in and get ready to head for bed. As we pulled back the covers, we were surprised to find stains on the sheets. Not just small stains but large noticeable stains. We pulled back the sheets to the mattress to find more stains and things smeared on the mattress. My wife and I decided that we could not stay in this room or hotel in this condition. We decided to gather our things and ask for a refund and find a new hotel.

We went back to the office and spoke to the older gentlemen, he apologized and wanted to SELL us a deluxe room still at the $20 marked up price and admitted that his son asked to upgrade us out of fear about the room we given, was not up to standard. So they knew it was not a clean room and still put us in there???!!! We declined the upgrade especially at the increased price and he continued to push for a deluxe room. My wife and I now beyond the point of finding a hotel and staying awake decided to agree to the now FREE upgrade for the deluxe room. We arrived to a cleaner room, still plagued with the smell of smoke, although faint. The bathrooms and sheets appeared to be clean, regardless of the stains on the floor, and we decided to stay. He called to confirm everything was to our satisfaction.

We refused to eat the breakfast, swim in the pool, or do anything else other than sleep here which was hard with the standard stiff box bed for cheap hotels. The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location, which is close to all that Williamsburg has to offer, no different from other hotels near by. The maid service seems to do a less than pleasing job at cleaning the room by replacing towels with dirty towels and just taking out the trash.

Overall I would NOT recommend this hotel. Even on a budget there are other hotels in the area I would stay at. The beds are not comfortable, the cleaning staff seem to miss a majority of the items that need to be addressed, even the updated rooms are still not up other hotels standards at a similar prices. I wished we had just left but being so late and being so tired we felt there was no other option. I write this review in hopes to warn others from staying here and finding themselves in a similar position.

Room Tip: Make sure if you do decide to disregard advice on not staying here, stay in an updated deluxe room a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jesse C

Travelers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

Little River, South Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We only had pleasant surprises on this trip. The property is conveniently located in a central location in a popular family vacation destination. The facilities are not perfect, but the management is actively working on improving all aspects. The pool looked very inviting and clean. It was definitely near capacity, but was not noisy. We would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 2Birdsfishnfrogs
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a great place to stay on our latest trip to Williamsburg. We usually stay a higher tier of Choice Hotels, but we decided to try this place based on the reviews. The beds were super comfy and the room was clean. We a pool view room and I thought that it might get loud, but we didn't hear a peep from outside the room. The rooms have outside doors which scared me a bit, but it was fine. The manager was very nice. The only thing to mention is that the bathrooms are ready for an upgrade. They were clean though. We will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ALK22193
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Booked through Expedia based on trip advisor reviews. At check in discovered Expedia over-charged by $50. Front desk staff were very kind, but it took over an hour of me, my husband & 4 kids sitting in the lobby to work everything out.

Finally got to the room and was overwhelmed with a smell of old wet towels and stale cigarette smoke. We were so exhausted at this point we justwent to bed. The next morning walked into bathroom in bare feet and found the carpeting to be sticky. Gross! went to take a shower and there was mold all around the edges of the tub. The shower curtain was filthy, under the sink was disgusting with mold and dead bugs. There were also dead bugs all over the windowsill.

Went to the front desk and asked for another room. Front desk worker (one of the same who was there when we checked in the night before) was again very pleasant. She apologized and have us keys to a new room.

We moved to the new room which was much better. It didn't have the smell, but it still wasn't very clean. There were things that has been left behind on the floor. Dirt in the corners of the bathroom floor, and of course the dead bugs on the windowsill.

After we finished moving all of our things, we went down for breakfast...not realizing it ended at 9:30 we got there at 9:40. There is nothing kind I can say about the breakfast worker. Thwere were still several people in having breakfast, but she glared at us as we got cereal, which was the only thing left out. when there were only a few of us left in the room, she turned off the lights and left...The next morning we got to breakfast around 9:00. There was one waffle maker with a line of about 10 people. There were about 5 frozen danishes stuck to the bottom of a box (that was not a danish box), and there were about 4 poppyseed bagels. They also had one kind of cereal and a fe slices . The apple jYuriice nachine was broken (which I later discovered that the breakfast lady knew about, tet there was not a sign on it, so several people got to taste God only knows what.

• Stayed July 2013