“Had a great time”

Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Upper Arlington, Ohio
“Had a great time”
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Used one of our Marriott weeks to stay at Ford's Colony over Thanksgiving. What a great time. We want to stay again in the future. The property overall is in good condition, however, our unit is starting to show some wear. All in all the accomnodations were good though.

Great place to base your visit for the Historic Triangle (Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown).

Staff was great. Workout facilities were good and indoor pool was well maintained.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ua43221

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Haymarket, Virginia
Reviewed November 26, 2010

My husband and I spent a week at the Manor Club at Ford's Colony the first week of November. After reading some reviews prior to our arrival, I was concerned that the location of the hotel was going to be out in the boondocks or further. But in fact, THE LOCATION IS GREAT! The short drive to C.W. was no big deal & gave us a chance to find our way around. The hotel is also not far from the outlet malls & that was nice too.
We stayed in a condo & everything was clean and lovely. When we arrived, the fireplace wasn't working, but all it took was a phone call to the front desk & it was promptly fixed.
We didn't see any need for a restaurant at the hotel - we ate when we were out touring around and made any other food we wanted in the kitchen of the condo.
You truly can not use your car's GPS to get you to the hotel based on the address on St. Andrews Drive. I called the hotel & listened to the recorded directions that were given - the recording gives you the correct address (on Ford's Colony Drive) to put in your system & then the hotel is very easy to locate.
We enjoyed our stay in Williamsburg & the hotel was a great place to come back to each evening. It could use some updates (new bathroom tile, kitchen counters....) but so could my house!

Forest, Virginia
Reviewed November 24, 2010

My husband and I stayed 2 nights and my mother, sister and nieces stayed 1 night and everyone enjoyed the resort. We had two studio rooms which are average size hotel rooms w/mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot & toaster. For my husband and I the room was great, for my mom, sister and twin nieces it was small but for one night it was fine. The place is nicely decorated and very well maintained and the grounds, golf course and gardens are beautiful. We plan on staying there next year for our annual shopping trip to Williamsburg. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful and the cleaning staff was upbeat and friendly also.

Hong Kong
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit at Fords Colony while in Williamsburg.
The room was quite nice with a kitchen as well. TV in both bedrooms as well as living room. The room also had a fire place but as it was 104! we did not use it. The propert is really pretty and must be gorgeous in the fall.
There are two pools, tennis courts and a very good nice golf course.
There is no restauraunt but places will deliver. There is also a small market on the property.
There are also barb q's and picnic tables you can use.
If you are going to Busch Gardens it is about 15 minutes away.
PS if you are using your GPS call ahead because your GPS will not find the proper entrance!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We stayed in the one bedroom villa. First off, the development isn't easy to find. Your GPS, if its like mine, will bring you to a gated street. We called and were advised to make a different route and found our way into the development. This is a big golf resort. We are not golfers, so I can't remark on that. Our room had a nice kitchen with all of what you expect. A dining table and chairs, a living room with flat screen tv and gas fireplace. A separate bathroom with shower, another sink in the bedroom. A whirlpool tub in the bedroom, and a sliding door onto the screened balcony. The room was a positive in our vacation. A good place to crash in the evening after an eventful day of sightseeing. The room was clean. The rate was good since we were there in the off season. The only thing that I can say would need improvement would be this. The carpet in the common areas (elevators, hallways, foyers) was tired and needed some attention. The room itself was up to date and nice. The bed was really comfortable. Slept well.

Gaithersburg, MD
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Wonderful place

We (my husband, another couple and myself) arrived on a Sunday. The check in was very fast as we are timeshare owners. We went to our 2nd floor suite in building 14. A quick tour of the premises said things looked good. We did discover that the freezer was having difficulty and we called the front desk to let them know. Then we made a quick trip to the Martins Supermarket (less than 8 minutes away).Upon our return the freezer was doing its thing.

The next morning I used the exercise facility in the main building. I found out from the employees who greeted me that there was another exercise room (even bigger) by the pool (one of 2 outdoor pols along with 1 indoor) right next to our buliding.! (very convenient for a rainy week). Upon returning 'home', I found that the toaster was broken. Another call to the front desk and we had a brand new, right out of the box toaster within 5 minutes. For both fixes, the front desk called to verify that the fixes were made and that we were happy. The one last thing that we requested from the front desk was a broiler tray so we could do some grilling indoors (the semi-monsoon precluded us from trying out the resort's outdoor grills). Again, the requested item appeared in a brand new box within minutes.

Other than the above problems, everything was lovely. The beds were terrific. The grounds were charming. The staff were friendly and helpful. As I am into environmental concerns, I was pleased that there were recycling containers.

We splurged and had massages at the on-site spa.

The resort is a little further out from Colonial Williamsburg than a lot of other places, but it is closer to Jamestown, the outlet center and the New Town centers. If you golf, it is right by lovely golf course.

Personally, I can't wait to go there again.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank GAL_Sews
eastern US
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed here during a Fall weekend in 2010. From the start, it wasn't a good experience. I had called ahead with a small request, and I was assured that it would not be a problem, but when I checked in, the person working at the front desk said that it couldn't be done, and acted like I was stupid for even asking. Needless to say, he wasn't interested in actually taking care of my request. He said a few other snide things during check in. My wife said that we should have left then, but they had a rigid no-refund policy, and I was pretty tired already.

The room itself was OK. Even though I've been a long time Marriott Reward gold member, we got the smallest room they offer. The website is a bit confusing. I thought we were getting a one-bedroom villa, but there is actually a smaller room called a guest room. There was a half-kitchen (with a small refrigerator and microwave). There was no work area -- just a small table. I realize this place is for vacationers, but most people always bring a laptop with them and there was no place to set it up and use it. The sofa faced away from the TV, so the only way to watch TV was to sit on the bed. That was a bit of a moot point, because there was no remote control for the TV in the room.

The kitchen has a coffee maker, but it is a household drip type that requires a basket filter. They do supply loose ground coffee, but I don't normally carry coffee filters with me, so I couldn't make any coffee. I tried to buy some coffee or filters at the small general store, but the person working there (who also had a don't-bother-me attitude) said they didn't sell them and told me to go to the front desk. In the end, I made the 20-mile round trip into town to buy some instant coffee from Starbucks.

Yes, this place is about 10 miles from downtown Williamsburg, It's convenient enough for colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, but otherwise it's a bit far away, especially since there is no restaurant on site. The small general store has some frozen dinners and a small deli, but otherwise doesn't have much to choose from. All the yogurt they had for sale was at least 3 days past the expiration date, and some was older than that. So much for trying to buy breakfast there.

Besides the lack of a remote control and the inability to make coffee, the faucet in the bathtub was loose and had a large gap between it and the tile; it actually wobbled in and out if I touched it.

The fitness center is pretty small for a place that's supposed to be a resort. I've seen better fitness centers at low-end Marriotts.

I rarely complain about noisy rooms, but the room we were in was the noisiest I have been in in a long time. I could clearly hear the conversation in the room next door until past 11 pm. This started again the next morning, and repeated the next night. Thankfully, they checked out and we had some peace the final night. They weren't being especially loud, but the either the walls or thin or the common door lets a lot of noise through. It was bad.

The parking is limited for the size of the buildings. Each night and morning there were cars parked illegally, making it hard to get in and out of the legal spots. Thankfully, there wasn't a fire because one car was parked next to a red curb, directly in front of a fire hydrant.

The grounds are nice, but beware enjoying them. One peaceful morning I went for a run on the path. I was crossing a street -- in the crosswalk -- when I almost got hit by one of the maintenance carts driven recklessly by one of their employees. No apology or anything. That was my last morning there, and by then I was ready to get out of that place.

One final note -- this place is a timeshare, not a hotel, so if you stay here be prepared for a sales pitch, which I certainly did not appreciate.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple