“Great hotel for family going to Williamsburg”

Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony
Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed September 15, 2009

This was the perfect hotel for our first vacation with our infant twins. They gave us a room on the first floor in a building near the outdoor pool. This resort is a bit large and is surrounded by a golf course. Unfortunately the day my husband was going to play, it rained. They have a small market at the main building if you need anything (Starbucks coffee, ice cream, etc). The room we had wasn't remodeled but it was nice - 1 bedroom, living room and kitchen. I really liked having a washer and dryer for the week since the girls make a mess of everything. The concierge was helpful and let me use his computer to get discount tickets to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. He also gave us coupons. They have free wifi but I believe there is a charge to use the computers at the main reception area. If we go back to Williamsburg, we will definately stay here. It is about 15 minutes to everything. Close to Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Busch Gardens and the Prime Outlet Mall. I was disappointed that the spa closed at 5pm so I didn't get any pampering. I saw on alot of reviews people bellyaching about finding the hotel with their GPS. Well computers aren't perfect. The address to use is: 240 Ford's Colony Drive, Williamsburg, VA 23188 and Marriott has directions on the site. It wasn't in our GPS either and apparently the mailing address sends you to the gated community which you can not enter.

The hotel has several tennis courts and an outdoor chess set. Also they have several grills and picnic tables.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank ms_obvious
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony

Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed just short of two weeks commencing in the middle of August 09 (2 adults, 2 kids). We had a 2 bedroom villa that was in excellent condition, quite modern, clean and very spacious. Prior to check in some reviews noted that the rooms were dated and in need of renovation. This was definitely not the case. The amenities on site are great for both adults and kids. The free wireless internet connection in the room is somewhat slow, but was still invaluable in allowing me to keep abreast of my work. The staff at the resort were very friendly and the concierge staff member we dealt with on several occassions was very knowledgeable in recommending dining and shopping options, and in helping overall to plan our stay. The resort is loacted near the attractions and shopping centres (10 - 15 minutes away). It is advisable that you purchase the bounce ticket which is the best value for the money covering Busch Gardens, Water Country and Colonial Williamsburg over a consecutive 7 day period. You should definitely purchase the meal plans online for the theme parks as you save tremendously. Trappers Smokehouse at Busch Gardens is good for dining. You must definitely try the seafood buffet at Captain Georges.

1  Thank brad64
Reviewed September 10, 2009

When we got there, I knew we picked the right hotel. Every two years, my family takes a vacation to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. We stop in Virginia on the way there to visit my aunt who lives in Hampton, and Busch Gardens.The plan of this hotel was that guest rooms and 1 bedroom suites were on one side of the esort complex, near the bigger of the three pools and the tennis and SportCourts. The other part is the two bedroom villas. These buldings are called manors, and they only have like 16 rooms each.
Our room was very spacious, being a two bedroom villa. It overlooked the fabulous golf course at Ford's Colony which was nice, it had a full washer and dryer, and a full sized kitchen. Iwas getting nervous beforehand because I had heard that the rooms were kind of run down. They were NOT. they were updated, but the one bathroom had old tile, but that did not bother us.
Our building was close to the pool and clubhouse. This resort was definitely affordable, mostly because we shared the cost with another family who shared a room with us. The hotel was in very close proximity to Bush Gardens, and we will definitely be going back if we are in the area

2  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I stayed in the two bedroom suite. Very nice, but least favorite hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. Let me explain...

Check in time is 4:00PM - an hour later than most.

Check out time is 10:00AM. I have never in my life seen that. Most places are at least 11:00AM.

No shampoo or conditionare.

Coffee maker and Coffee but no filters.

Used water bottles in refridgerator

Fireplace advertised in description but did not work

Decorotive bowl on kitchen table broken

No pens or paper. I have never seen this before either. You're on vacation and sometimes need to write things down for attractions. Nothing.

The whirlpool bath didn't work. The jets were broken and pointed straight up.

The TV is off to the side and can't easily be seen. No flat panels, they are old CRTs

The have LOTS of towels.

The whole place is just cold - not temperature wise, but just the feel. It's like staying at a business. It is not romantic at all.

The check in staff was cold and uncaring. Like they were tired of customers.

Free apples at check in.

Guests were snobby - (and I consider myself upper class, I have a Porsche 911 Targa)

All in all it was just a very bland place. For the price (make sure you add $30 a day to the room for taxes and stuff) it stunk.

It's pretty close (about 15-20 minutes) to Historic Williamsburg.

Make sure you call them for their address if using a GPS. The address they list wont get you there. You'll dead end at a security gate with no-way in.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony is fabulous! Our villa was shiny, new and clean as can be. Yet it reflected the traditional flavor of Williamsburg right down to the quant working fireplace. There are two outdoor pools and one indoor so you’re covered for swimming. The Jacuzzi is hot with power jets that made my sore back very happy. Not enough? Try basketball, tennis or the two work-out centers on the property.

My eight year old loved it. The wife misses it and my golf game went up a notch at the mega-course attached to the property.

One complaint is lack of staff. While the employees were a pleasure to deal with, the concierge and spa closed at 5:00 pm—just when we needed them the most.

This family from New York says “Yea!” to the Vacation Club at Ford’s Colony.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Paul-From-NY
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed here on our recent trip from 8/30-9/6 and liked it very much. I have to say we weren't the hotel all that much and didn't have a chance to partake in any of the planned activities. There is just so much to do in Williamsburg that our hotel was more of just a home base for us. We did get to use the pool on our last day. Everyone we encountered at the resort was very nice. Our rooms were great. We had traded our time share for a 2 bedroom villa. It was big, had everything we needed and was clean. If you're a golfer, and you own with the Marriott time share properties,6 rounds of golf come free with your stay. The hotel is situated in a residential community with a country club. On property there are 2 outdoor pools and one indoor. There are also tennis courts, basketball courts, barbeques. It was very quiet at our resort, but most people seemed to be out and about most of the time. It doesn't have as many children activities as the old Marriott Horizon lines did, but they did have some planned.

Over all we felt it was a great choice for us.

2  Thank mindelmouse
Reviewed September 4, 2009

The room was excellent. We had the 2 bedroom with full kitchen. Room was in fine shape. Outdoor Pool is adequate. A bit hard to find hotel with GPS as you drive in as many of the entrances are for full time residents and not the timeshare unit we were in. I don't golf but they do have a full course there to use. TV was fair, sets could have been much better. The facility is nice although the surrounding area is rater depressed. We did the Williamsburg deal for most of the week we were there. It is OK. Kind of a once and done vacation spot in my opinion. I'll say it looked a lot better than some of the other heotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family