“Good base for the area”

Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Glenrothes, Scotland
“Good base for the area”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Fords Colony for 4 nights as part of a road trip round Virginia with friends. We stayed in a two bedroom villa (for British readers we would call this an apartment or suite rather than villa) which couldn't be faulted for size, equipment, facilities and comfort. We used the main pool on a couple of occasions, and while it was busy there was room to swim and plenty of seats and loungers. We didn't have time for golf, but the courses look interesting and in good condition. Fords Colony is well situated for Williamsburg and Jamestown, with Yorktown only a short distance further away - Williamsburg is the highlight.

As other reviewers have said, the one downside of Fords Colony is the lack of places to eat if you don't want to eat in your villa. The onsite 'supermarket' is small and poorly stocked. The nearby Golf Club has a Grill Room with an interesting menu and which was busy each evening - but is for members only so missed out on our business. The other bar in the Golf Club is open to the public but has a more limited menu and was as dead as a dodo anytime we looked in. So, if you want to eat out you will need to drive - Richmond Road is about 5 miles away with a wide choice of the usual chain restaurants.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alyth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The two bedroom, two bath villas are spacious with a tv in each room. Kitchen has many small appliances including a toaster and blender. We were provided with one pack of laundry detergent but enough dish washing detergent to last a few weeks. Marketplace on site is expensive, as well as bar and grill (very limited menu), but there is plenty of shopping minutes away.

When travelling with a family you will have all of the comforts and amenities of home. Staff was very friendly and after the first day the staff remembered all of our names and favorite items on the grill menu. There is a great paved trail along the property for walkers, runners and bikers of all levels.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Krislyn23
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 19, 2013

No kids? Don't like kids? Run fast to the nearest full service Marriott. This is NOT the place for you. Most people who rave about this place have kids.

We suffered here two nights for a family reunion. The entire complex looks like the apartment complex I lived at during college. Same set up with a communal pool, common gym/office/mini mart and lots and lots of noisy neighbors. If I had a dollar for every kid I heard while inside my room, I'd be rich and too busy to write this review.

Unless you get a villa, expect a very small room. There is NO UPGRADE for platinum members. So what if you stayed 4 months at Marriott properties last year, you still get this tiny closet of a room. The room was eh. The little kid next door kept trying to open the adjoining door. I was going to yank the door open and yell "boo" but I was too lazy to get out of bed.

You also do not get a full fridge in the little rooms - just a college size one. Parking was impossible at night. Communal laundry is free. They give you a little box of detergent when you first check in. Of course, you have to wait until 10pm to use the facilities.

My cousins - the ones with kids - loved this place but they can write their own review. There won't be a next time, but if there was, I'm staying 20 minutes away at the Newport News Marriott. Full bar. Few kids.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WISCGirl
Fallston, Maryland
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here last week with the kids for 2 nights on a trip to see Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg.

Opted for the smaller room, king and pull out sofa bed. It was wonderful. Nice little kitchenette allowed us to make a quick breakfast in the room.

Although we really only used the resort for a few hours.....we enjoyed two of the pools, the basketball court, big chess, tennis, and even shuffle board. The facility was modern and very clean. Impressive.

After reading other reviews that spoke about the noise and paper thin walls, I had my expectations low. It was much louder than I expected. We actually slept with the radio on to try to drown out some of the hallway noise.....and I am pretty sure the unit next to me was doing dishes all night.....or rehearsing a rock band using plates and silverware.

Another previous review on Priceline spoke about a maid stealing a purse. Just to be safe and protect my kid's electronics, I kept the do not disturb sign on the door and kept my purse in the safe.

One last thing I want to share.....which very well could have been an honest mistake. Check out was at 10am....I was running late. There was a knock at the door and a phone call at 10:30. The front desk casually mentioned they were checking me out and that they would bill the additional $42 to my credit card. When I inquired they mentioned services that I KNEW we didnt use. The pool bar was closed during our swim and we never made it to the craft/activity center. They quickly acknowledged the mistake.......but you have just have to wonder.

Overall I thought it was a wonderful resort at a really reasonable rate. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: stay on a top floor away from elevators
1 Thank Mary L
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We recently exchanged our timeshare to stay at the Mariott Manor in Williamsburg. Our room was grand it was well furnished bedrooms both with king's beds which a was a treat for my six year old lil girl. The bathrooms and overall qualities of the buildings were top notch. I am giving this a four because of some small issues I found along the way withe staff. They were not informative at the front desk at all at check in. I had to ask several questions afterward to find out basic info like when checkout was. Directions were a bit tough through them as well, they did not explain things well or gave you only limited directions. The game room could have been better along with the movie selections but it was alright overall.

2 Thank WitkowskyWorld
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We loved our stay here. All we needed was a one bedroom unit that was cool & comfortable & a really nice pool. We got what we wanted, along with some really nice families that we met there. I would definitely recommend this place. It was very easy to navigate around, with this as our home base!

1 Thank tbelleAlabama
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I am just returning from a week long stay at the Manor Club. This is a Marriott Vacation Club property, and as a member I am able to write this review in comparison to a number of other MVC properties we have stayed at (see my other reviews). We stayed in a 2B/2BR unit in the Chesapeake Manor building, which is right next door to the main desk building. We had a third floor unit on the back side of the building, which was extremely quiet. I actually thought we were the only people on the floor until I rode the elevator with another guest on our third day.
The check in process was fast and easy. Since we are weeks and points owners, I had no interest in attending another sales presentation, and I was never pressured or asked to attend anything after check in. This may be centric to owners, as I have read other reviews about being pushed to attend a sales presentation. Keep in mind that this is a Vacation Club, not a Marriott resort property, so it's existence is to make sales.
I must also advise that as a vacation club property, this place is designed for the family looking for space, but not necessarily traditional amenities. There is NO RESTAURANT on this property, only the Marketplace (small store) and a snack bar at the main pool that has limited hours and very limited options. There are several pools on property, the largest one being towards the back of the section across the street from the main desk building. The other pools are indoor and outdoor near the front desk, both of them being very tiny. There is no attendant on duty.
It is almost as if this property was build in 2 parts, as there is a private road that literally cuts it in half, so if you are on one side and want to go to the other, it can be a bit of a hike.
There are 2 work out rooms on site, although neither is very big. The equipment is nice though, and there are televisions to watch while you walk on the treadmill or spin on a bike. They provide wipes to clean the equipment when you are finished with it, although the two other people in the gym with me did not use them. So I would suggest you wipe down the equipment yourself before using it if you do not want someone else's sweat on you. There is no attendant on duty.
The unit itself was pretty nice, although already showing signs of wear despite the property saying it was remodeled within the last year or two. The sofa in the living room had cushions that were "pancaked", making it uncomfortable to sit on for any length of time. The two chairs in the living room were both straight back and also not comfortable.
In the master bedroom, I must complain about the "dresser", because it really isn't one. It is more like a antique knock off, with little mini drawers. The bedside dresser was similar, so there really is no place for you to put your clothes when you unpack. We found that we had to hang everything up. Really strange and could be easily rectified with a better dresser.
Another oddity is the mirror in the master bath, which is placed between the two sinks. My husband and I would find ourselves shoulder to shoulder even though the sink space was long. But you could not stand at a sink and look into the mirror at the same time. Makes it difficult for shaving or doing your hair/makeup.
The second bedroom had one king bed, and I was told that this was the only option. If you are travelling as a family, having an option for a second room with 2 double beds would have been nice, but honestly, the room was not big enough for two beds, so I guess that is why this is the only configuration.
The kitchen was well furnished for small amounts of cooking, which is mostly just breakfast for us. The stove and microwave worked fine. The dishwasher is starting to show age, and was very loud. We learned to turn it on when we were leaving so we didn't have to listen to it.
The washer and dryer were large capacity, which is nice, but the dryer seemed to take forever to run. As an owner, I know to bring our own detergent, so the fact that Marriott only gives you one packet of Tide does not bother me.
Also as an owner, I have the option to take or not take cleaning services. This property charges for maid service for owners, so we declined the service. It is like having a furnished apartment.
As far as this properties location relative to the tourist area, you are definitely away. It is a good 15 minute drive to Colonial Williamsburg, and 25-30 minutes to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. There is also no dining immediately in the area, but Monticello Ave, which is about 5 miles away has casual food options as well as a Martins Supermarket. You can also eat at the Ford Colony Country Club, which you pass on the way into the property.
If you are a MVC owner, you get a discount card that entitles you to 2 rounds of golf daily at the country club, plus 10% off dining there. Unfortunately, the front desk person forgot to give us our card, so we only found out about the free golf on day 3 of our stay. Despite that, my husband was able to get in a round and said the course was excellent.
Overall, I give this resort a Very Good, as it fit the bill for what we were looking for and met our expectations as a MVC owner. It made for a good home base for our exploration of the area, was clean and comfortable, and everyone had a good time. Some minor complaints, but overall, it gets a decent grade.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor.
3 Thank DelcoMom