“Not centrally located to Williamsburg”

Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony
Ranked #3 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Marriott property for a few days in January because of the discounted price offered. It is a very nice vacation club property but is not really centrally located to Colonial Williamsburg. It is easily 10 minutes travel time to the downtown Williamsburg area. It is also 10 minutes to the nearest restaurants, except for the country club grill located at the golf course next door (dress code after 5 p.m.).

We stayed in a regular guest room, which had 1 king bed and a sofa bed. It is a good size and the room included a microwave, toaster, small refrigerator, and a coffeemaker. Plates, cups and utensils are also included.

One of the things we disliked about this room is that there is a connecting door to the room next to ours, and we could hear everything that was going on in the kitchen/living space of the family in that room. We could easily hear a young child crying and screaming most of our first evening. This room really lacks basic sound privacy. In addition, the bathroom was not designed for easy use. You have to step to one side of the toilet to even get out the door, and the hand rail to get into the shower is against the wall nearest to the toilet and is of little use since it is nearly impossible to get into the shower from that side.

We did enjoy the wine and cheese tasting event sponsored by Marriott and Williamsburg Winery, which was free, and would have gone to some of the other activities offered if our time had allowed. All said, however, I don't think I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Because of lack of sound privacy, I would only stay here again if I reserved the 2-bedroom unit.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DTG2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've tried staying at Ford's Colony at least 4 times now. The first visit was great, the second a bust, the third ok and the fourth and final was a bit better. The rooms are a little small, unless you get one of the timeshare suites, which to be honest, are the only way to go. The worst of the trips you could hear the people next door making dinner, clanking plates, not in a malicious way, they were just enjoying dinner. The problem was this was at 10:00pm at night and it sounded like they were in the room with us. We called the front desk and asked for another room as it was just too noisy to sleep and were told no, and they would tell the people to be quiet. I could hear the phonecall to the neighbors, their reaction and how pissed they were to be told to be quiet. This was just not a situation I wanted to be in anymore, so we moved hotels. When we told the front desk what happened and we were leaving, their response was "good luck finding a room somwhere". There was no "sorry you did not enjoy yourself", or anything.

The grounds are lovely with many pools and the timeshare rooms really are lovely and the way to go, and in my opinion, the only way to go. The golf course is really nice and the neighborhood is beautiful. Unfortunately, I will not be back.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GoodFood88
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Even though we went in January and didn't have the best weather our stay here was very relaxing. The villas and the grounds are great, as is the staff. Hope to return in better weather when we can use the abundant trails and outdoor facilities. We stayed in 2 2-bedroom villas through an Interval getaway.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hawaii98
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I are Marriott timeshare owners in Myrtle Beach and exchanged our week to stay in Virginia. We have 3 boys (11, 13, 15 at the time of our stay) This hotel is on a great location. It’s in a residential area with a golf course on one side of it. The all-brick main building and some of the others make you feel like you’re walking on a little colonial street. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The grill area was clean and there was a basketball court and other things for kids to do.This hotel was very close to all we wanted to see. We visited Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Jamestown, and Yorktown.

Unfortunately, there is no restaurant on the grounds. This is my reason for 4 stars. There is a little shop/convenient store near one of the pool areas that had munchies and drinks (maybe even prepared sandwiches.. I can’t remember). We stocked up on food at a supermarket and made good use of the outdoor grills and our kitchen.

Prior to our trip, I saw a review that mentioned how small the washer and dryer were compared to other Marriott timeshares…. Very true! This meant more loads which was more time-consuming, but it didn’t affect our stay. It’s good to know though so you’re prepared.

To summarize, we were very happy with our stay. The rooms were spacious and clean and the locations beautiful. We would stay there again.

Tip: Try to avoid summer travel and go fall or spring. We were there July 24th to August 3 in 2011. It was as high as 102F when we were there and the pool temperature read 92F!! We couldn’t believe it. Cooling off in the pool doesn’t happen. We swam a little in the evening and it felt like a bath tub.. still fun though.

Yorktown: We ate at the Carrot Tree Restaurant on Main St. and were pleasantly surprised by the delicious food (limited menu, but interesting choices).

Busch Gardens: It’s VERY worth buying the drink that comes with a refillable cup (souvenir cup). On a hot day, you’ll spend a lot of $$ on water and spending a lot of money on the first drink to get the refillable cup was well worth it… free water refills all day. We wished we realized this on the first day. We did a two day pass so we could come two ½ days and avoid the hot hrs.

Room Tip: There was a newly renovated area (older units) when we went. We ended up in the back villas. I kept...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Emzaro
Reviewed January 13, 2013

As Marriott time share owners, we booked this get a way last August. Since owners cannot used Reward points for Marriott Resorts, we paid for a week plus insurance. It was well worth it , as the rent at this time of year is extremely reasonable. The Berkeley Manor Building was orginially constructed as a condo by Ford's Colony and later purchased by Marriott. This building is much nicer than the newer buildings ( having stayed here before). Very spacious layout with lots of closet space etc. Recommend you try to get this building when booking.

Our only complaint was the windows hadn't been cleaned for some time and there was quite an accumulation of dirt, dust and leaves which activated our allergies and made us leave a few days earlier than planned.

Room Tip: If you can be assigned the Berkeley Manor Building you will be very satisfied. The layout is much l...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank vacationer209
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The villas were wonderfully decorated, spacious and clean. The front desk staff were superb. The location was fantastic, just far enough away to be relaxing, but close enough to all of the major sites and attractions of Williamsburg. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Shar C
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was just a quick overnight girls' trip to have a little break before the Christmas rush. We were very pleased with this facility. The grounds are lovely and looked beautiful decorated for Christmas. The room wasn't ready for our early arrival which surprised me as we checked in mid week but it wasn't a problem as we simply shopped that afternoon. By the time we arrived back at the hotel to retrieve our keys, it was dark. We found our building but had difficulty figuring out how to get our luggage up to the room. I was traveling with my mother is need of assistance and I wish the front desk had given a bit more direction in this regard. We found the best way was to retrieve a luggage cart which was located at the front of our building and then use the side entrance as there is a bit of ramp. The room itself was lovely. We had a two bedroom suite which had recently been updated. Very clean and well stocked for a longer stay. I'm certain the hotel was a bit emptier at this time than say during the Summer so we didn't find the noise to be an issue but I can see where it might be had it been full. I have stayed in other vacation villas and I truly believe this to be among the best. We wished we had booked a longer stay and will next year. I would like to return with my husband as well. I can't get over the size of the kitchen! The only issue we had was with the golf course's VERY early maintenance of the greens. I called the front desk and it was taken care of promptly. It was truly a great stay and I would highly recommend this to everyone.

Room Tip: Simply note in your reservation that you would like an updated room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends